Should we demand Christ Metzen back?

I think it was Metzen who created the Battle of Lordaeron event.

Iā€™d rather they get some new blood in. Either a team of newer writers who have yet to break into the industry, or David Gaider who was the lead writer for Dragon Age: Origins.

Uwe Boll could make a better Warcraft story than the current staff.

Good news, now Martin knows what NOT to write as an ending, so the books will end on a way better note.

1 Like

All the posts from all day makes me wonder if the OP is just a bored troll. In terms of Metzen it looks like heā€™s a lot happier just voice acting for Thrall,him coming back to write would be on him though as it stands,the job stressed him out to where he had to have 2 different surgeries: Back and Throat. Probably best he just sticks with a less stressful contribution such as voice acting given how a good chunk of the playerbase are entitled [like Karen levels] and easy to outrage. Anytime something goes wrong,they want to speak with the manager.

Yeah, this is fairly accurate.
His writing was rather basic.

Lol, Metzen got raked over the coals in this place for some of the story choices he and his story folks made.

This place is hilarious.

1 Like

I mean, at the end of the day, it is an internet forum.
Just because it happens to be WoW based, doesnā€™t mean itā€™s immune to the normal forum garbage.

He retired at the age of 45 with a net worth to have him set for life. He still does voice acting for Blizzard and consulting so Iā€™d say, no chance. Also as other have stated it was for health reasons and to spend more time with family.

Iā€¦ I donā€™t think that is how retirement works.

He was having some serious panic attacks and anxiety from what I heard, like bad enough he was going to the hospital. From personal experience I can say that its rough.

He retired to get away from the stress as well as spend more time with his family. He said he would still continue to voice Thrall if asked though.

2 Likes

He retired after he had a panic attack. My guesses are his decision was health related and wanted to spend more time with his family after 20+ years do the same job.

1 Like

No. Let the man enjoy his free time. He should not be forced to Steve Jobs this Titanic Game.

He did a podcast where he discussed it. The short version is the stress of the job was beginning to effect his health. He had an episode in a movie theatre when the Warcraft movie went out. Things like that.

Going to entirely disagree with you there. The story went really bad as theyā€™ve recycled characters and story elements from the Warcraft RTS games rather than going in new directions. Weā€™ve been choking on regurgitated and now the new new horde for a while now. GulDan mk2, IlliDan returns, Banshee Queens, Jainas, blah, blah. All the old tired stuff, refighting the same wars, rather than setting off in an interesting direction with new characters that we helped make along the way.

I think weā€™re saying the same thing. The recycled versions are not part of the original story. They were an attempt to tap into the original story for nostalgiaā€™s sake with total disregard for good writing. Mostly anything past WotLK, I donā€™t consider to be ā€œoriginalā€

I never knew. How much is of the original story is Metzenā€™s? I always thought at least some of it must have been based on his D&D game.

You can argue the story has gotten worse.

Iā€™d put forth the story was never good. Ever. As far as WoW goes. Which honestly surprises me. WoW has so many great assets for a good story, but its never once ever made me think ā€œthis is goodā€.

1 Like

The story was always okay.
Not bad for a stripped down rip off of Warhammer Fantasy, but nothing spectacular either.

No, Chris Metzen worshipped Thrall and ruined WoW with Cataclysm.

Thank the glorious Almighty God for the current writers we have now. Every day playing Cataclysm I would pray that Chris Metzen would get fired. He left and still lingers around Blizzard like a bad odor from a fart but at-least I somewhat got my prayers answered proving there is a just God guiding this planet.

Actually from his wiki page it sounds like the majority of his writing was for Diablo, Starcraft and then the Warcraft games. It says he took a lesser role in WoW, although he obviously did some of the script, just not as much. Doesnā€™t say anything else about it. I would assume at least most of pre-WoW was his.