Should there be more casual content on retail wow?

I don’t think so.

I started in Battle for Azeroth and during this time I’ve seen myself and a lot of work colleagues start to play the game.

A lot of us here at work are in our twenties and were too poor to buy the game in our teens. Myself and two friends have started playing as of BfA.

Now I don’t think the population is increasing but I also don’t think we’re dropping exponentially either.

Ok? Not sure how that has anything to do with what I said.

Staying in your garrison making gold. I know people were ate up with the scrap yard and mission tables. But me personally didn’t just sit in my garrison. I guess a lot of people were back then for all the complaints.

That’s why I don’t see how player housing would be any different.

So basically wow is basically going to be replaced with a new generation then?

Fair enough. Might stick around meet new young people, but sadly I mean no disrespect when i say this, but during corona virus, a lot of young people I met seemed so entitled, crying about how they couldn’t go on some overseas holiday.

Back in my day, nobody went overseas for holidays unless they had rich parents.

So they won’t be different in that people won’t stay in them all day? Your logic is all over the place lol. Originally you were talking about how everyone just stayed in their garrisons. So which is it?

It’s funny how you leave and come back after a decade and people are still talking about the next WoW killer and how the game is dying.

It’s not feasible for a game to attract a consistent playerbase over 15 years. Most of the original people I played with are gone. We were all high-school/college kids and are now a bunch of middle aged bums with houses, wives/husbands, and kids.

1 Like

Sorry if I’m wording this wrong. Ya, what would keep people from hiding in their player housing instead of going out into the world?

Not having a near infinite source of resources and gold?

i know right from the very first day WoW has been dying lol!

I think it already has been doing that for a while. Josh, my colleague who introduced me to the game was a Legion baby.

I guess ‘young’ people is a perspective thing. I see teens and bops as youngins. I feel closer to the 30s and 40s in that I’m living by myself and have a mortgage to pay off. :joy:

I do still visit my parents often.

1 Like

Yep that is me for sure :slight_smile:.

Fair. I can handle young people if they are mature I guess.

1 Like

it is dying if you play alliance

Well, if they added Pokémon to the game, I see no reason not to add The Sims as well.

It’s not dying but I feel like the systems in game that are facilitating real world cash transactions are starting to really rear their heads

I don’t think I’ve ever seen as many things like calling sellling spams, multi boxers, multi boxing bots, pay to win stuff and MTX stuff going on

I feel like a lot of people are sleeping on this issue

5 Likes

Most people unsubbed very early into BfA. Compared to Legion it was like night and day.

We will see how well Shadowlands sells. Because if it doesn’t sell 10 million copies or whatever expansions usually sell then we can expect the budget for the next expansion to be even lower.

Initial sales and drop off after 1 month will be very telling for WoW’s future. Also keep in mind that WoW already used Classic - the ace up its sleeve. And TBC/Wrath won’t have nearly the same effect.

1 Like

In Ultima Online Player Housing was for extra storage and you did need a house to place a guild stone to form a guild. You also had people setting up houses for other things as well. Taverns like Kazola’s Treetop Keg and Winery on the Great Lakes server was a fairly well known RP hot spot. People set up places with Runes for travel spells. And the normal player run shops and the like as well.

I should note as well that system had people also doing things like setting up player cities and the like. Something that got turned into a thing in Star Wars Galaxies. Still the big thing with Player Housing was it gave players and guilds a sense of ownership.

You felt like you ‘owned’ something in the world. Even if it was just a system like the one in LoTRO and TOR where it’s off in it’s own little side area. Still it gave Guilds a place where they could meet up before going off to do some kinda content. It gave a player somewhere where they could ‘show off’ things they looted, or put down some nice decorations.

There’s also the fact that game wise? You now have more ‘things’ for players to spend money on. You have a bit of a money sink as players have to buy the house, and depending on the ‘type’ of house it can be a ton of in game money. And then buy decorations and the like for it if you want to start putting decorations in it. You also had tie in’s with the crafting system as well. A lot of games pretty much give every crafting profession stuff to craft and sell.

Over all? Yeah it may sound like a system that only role players would be into. However I’ve seen a number of players and guilds on other games sink a ton of time and money into housing systems.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining it to me. I’ve never played a game with it, so I just couldn’t understand it.

It’s true. It’s just dying slowly, little by little…

1 Like

The problem with player housing is that any wow implementation would be mandatory, and we would have to grind multiple currencies to make upgrades chosen from a menu of choices that weren’t anything we wanted.

1 Like