Should there be a D&D spinoff focusing on the WoW universe?

There is a Monopoly game based on WoW, so why not a Dungeons and Dragons game based on WoW? Like the old school D&D with a dungeon master and a book chronicling the adventures of your heroes what character races and classes do you play and what monsters, quests, and lore characters do you meet?

I know a lot of WoW players are D&D fans so this could be a match made in heaven.

3 Likes

WoW actually did have a tabletop RPG book, though it didn’t catch on. Personally I’d like to see a wargame.

14 Likes

I had a game when I was a child called Battle Masters. It was pretty similar to a Horde vs Alliance war game. Check it out.

I’d love for them to remake the RPG again. Times have changed I feel like it would actually catch on a bit better.

4 Likes

Pathfinder is better and Paizo is a far better company to work for. Hasbro/WOTC are scum.

Paizo IMO is a better company, for now…

2 Likes

If you mean an official game setting based around WoW, I doubt that will ever happen. But there is little stopping you from making a homebrew game using WoW as your background.

2 Likes

You do understand that WoW is basically D&D just with different names for some races right?

You can recreate EVERYTHING from WoW into D&D with no issues outside of some items needs heavy tuning to fit

Pathfinder is meh

2 Likes

Second that. A Warhammer style game with miniatures would be awesome. Not going to happen, but a Total War version of Warcraft would be a dream come true as well.

1 Like

We already did have a Total War version, it was the first 3 RTS games.

1 Like

this would be awesome as well… its completely different than the current rts we have

3 Likes

There are two TTRPG editions for the Warcraft universe.

You can buy the books used at different book sellers.

6 Likes

There is? I gotta look this up, brb (insert final jeopardy music here) I’m back, found it, looks awesome. Why is there not an online version of this or for android?

As for the topic: How would wow work in a D&D world?

If your group is in a M+8 and you want to initiate a votekick to boot the healer who refuses to dps, do you wait till they go to the bathroom or slide the DM a note under the table?

On the bright side, no need to camp mounts anymore, I will just add them all to my character sheet and lie about getting them.

1 Like

There was actually a 5E D&D project that used WoW races/classes called Champions of Azeroth. Not sure if it is still being worked on but playtesying it felt good, Warrior played like how Fighter SHOULD have been.

1 Like

An RTS is a completely different game than the Total War games. They aren’t remotely close outside of “strategy.”

2 Likes

The WoW universe isn’t ready for Volo.

3 Likes

I’d like a WoW TTRPG, but this time around and after several disappointing games I’d played the WoW RPG in I’d prefer a different system, to be honest… D&D’s good, and Pathfinder’s got its merits, but there are much better systems out there for a WoW-like experience. It’s just that getting people to play them is an uphill battle to begin with, to say nothing of getting the vast majority of WoW fans away from their keyboards.

Playing D&D 4E in two games right now after being the kind of person to turn up their nose at it, I’m finding that it would have suited WoW really well. Or, something like a CRPG version of it where the mechanics are closer to the RTS games (abilities with looooooooong cooldowns from the RTS being similar to Daily Powers, for example).

1 Like

4E felt a lot more MMO-like than anything before or since, and honestly a variation on that chassis wouldn’t be a bad fit.

2 Likes

If anything they should do what they first pitched for Warcraft and make it a Warhammer type game they even pitched to GW but they said no so we got Warcraft the RTS

1 Like

Hang on — could you re-tool the WFRP rules to fit Azeroth?

2 Likes