Should there be a cataclysm classic?

Legion classic…yes please.

Cataclysm is when things got deleted. So i probably would not want to re experience that again. Like it was so much fun not having arrows on my hunter anymore. I mean, to me, cataclysm is a major part as to why retail is called retail. It is what caused the split. It also caused the popularity to decline.

I mean, while i enjoyed cataclysm alot when it was current, my hunter has never been the same. I am lucky i got a decent quiver, although i never had the nerubian reinforced quiver. It was the biggest one in wrath. Blizzard just changed and deleted to much junk from this game by then for me to actually go back to it.

2 Likes

I want cataclysm classic if only for mop classic to be a thing, i also enjoyed fire/sv hunter in cata and would like to experience it again

Eventually if Classic were to continue, it would slowly become what Retail was. Remember they are only trying to recreate the experience as the game progressed.

2 Likes

Personally I disagree. I enjoyed Cata so much. It was some of the most fun I had playing WoW. I didn’t care for WoLK very much

Yes, it is. Not sorry.

People around here change their minds constantly and with the wind, depending on the outrage of the topic at hand. They post what will get the most likes or troll the best quite often.

Less than 1% of the community who flip flops for drama’s sake is meaningless.

You want to do a whole childish “nuh-uh” comment again, go for it. I’m not responding.

No, the Classic series should move forward as if the Cataclysm never came.

4 Likes

Yep, and (in my opinion) rightfully so. To me, “classic” [whatever] is not a character-progression-focused game. It’s about the original quests, the original terrain, the original mechanics, the original story line. When TBCC was first being discussed as a possible future release, I voiced my concern that it be separate from the first xpac with the option of copy/paste your character from that into TBCC to continue the fight, but NOT affecting the original with the TBCC pre-release modifications, simply institute those mods character by character as they pass through the Dark Portal. I would urge the same process for any classic-WotLK release.

As for importing to retail, why? We already have characters in retail; why import one from classic? To add gear or mount collections to retail characters that don’t have them? There are a lot of things that “used to be” that can’t be had again. People get used to it, accept it, and move on. What WAS available in “classic”-[whatever] isn’t available in retail any more, and that’s the draw of playing “claassic”-[whatever] – being able to do something that CAN’T be done in retail.

Look at it this way … Should all of the current NY Jets players be able to replay Super Bowl III and get their rings to wear today?

1 Like

This is correct … two separate development teams, two separate funding and resource accounts, neither impacting the other’s development. The “classic” team is smaller than the retail team since it doesn’t need anyone working on the story line, no one working on character development, no one working on creating quests, etc. It’s pretty much just adapting old code to run on the current engine and systems. Maybe some retouching of art work. Maybe fixing some of the things that were glitched at release. Serious stuff, but no where near the same demands as working retail.

1 Like

Wrath is not going to suffer the same fate as classic, and possibly BC, when its life cycle comes to an end. I’m sure there will be enough of a demographic that blizzard will consider a classic cata server, but the when the hype train arrives at the lich king train station most passengers are disembarking for good; as in staying in lich king forever.

1 Like

I think there should be only so there can be a Mists of Pandaria classic. I never got to see the story as it went through the content patches and now much of it is unavailable since 5.4/Siege of Orgrimmar came out. I think Classic should be limited to 2 or 3 expansions in the past. So right now Shadowlands is out, so of course no Shadowlands classic and no need for BFA classic either, but Legion classic would probably be fine.

Ok, well … sorry you think that me not letting you get away with decreeing representative sampling to be non-applicable is “childish,” but if that’s how you want to take it, take it that way.

The reality, though, is that you can look back at several major decisions (specifically changes in approach) the developers have made and found the genesis for community pressure right here, as well as on Twitter and other means of one-percenter outreach. I give you flying in WoD as an example.

People who tend to disbelieve the reality of representative sampling always have the easy out of saying “the majority wasn’t polled” or somesuch. The majority is never polled unless you’re talking about a room a size that everyone can see everyone else. It’s a convenient and dismissive wave of the hand when you don’t want to actually consider that you might actually be in the minority. And if you’re extolling the virtues of Cata, you’re definitely in the minority.

Cataclysm would have been so much better if the old overworld still existed. The old overworld should have complimented the revamp. Instead, the old overworld was deleted entirely. I just did not like this.

2 Likes

I didn’t mind it at all especially having played through the old world already. The new world is much prettier. Also it would defeat the purpose of Deathwing’s lore

And if you like the old world you can play classic

Also in the long run it’s not like it matters much either way. Blizzard gives max level players no reason to return to old world zones unless you want to rp, or 1 shot weak mobs for a small amount of gold and a 1% chance at a boss mount drop. You’re only encouraged to be challenged in the newest expansion zone

I think it would be a unique opportunity to explore whole new storylines. What if instead of using the Caverns of Time to stop Deathwing from bringing about the end of all life AFTER the Cataclysm, a group of heroes uses the Caverns of Time to stop the World Breaker before his emergence from Uldum?

In this alternate timeline, the Twilight Hammer and other allies of Deathwing act too quickly, drawing the attention of Thrall and others, who then move to stop Deathwing before he can fracture the world pillar. Thrall is able to bring about an unprecedented spirit of cooperation between the alliance and horde and they combine their forces against the Zandalari and the Neferset.

The end result would be similar - players still battle the lords of fire, the Twilight Hammer, and the tol’vir. But the world is unshattered. Thrall stays warchief, but his influence in the horde degrades because of his extended absence and a tentative peace with the alliance. Various factions on both sides begin to question their leaders and see the opportunities presented by their distraction with Deathwing - a threat only the highest echelons of power understand because the Cataclysm never happened. The dragon aspects still sacrifice their power to power the dragon soul and abdicate their responsibility to mortal heroes.

As Thrall is supplanted as warchief, the two factions break the tentative peace in epic fashion, spreading the war into areas previously untouched. This opens new zones in different ways, and paves the way for the Horde and Alliance to find themselves in future shenanigans.

I would love to experience the open world difficulty they had during that expansion on top of the zone power progression. When you completed a zone, you felt a heavy mix of relief and satisfaction.

1 Like

I’d prefer a Classic+ instead of continuing with the expansions.

Classic+ would be classic with seasons, and improvements.

Add achievements, the new character models, store pet/toy/tabard/shirt in the collectibles UI. Pet battle, brawler’s guild, class challenges (mage tower), even new dungeons, raids, and maybe add some mythic+ all in classic WoW.

A lot of pieces that won’t change the core game mechanics at all but just give a variety of new content in classic.

I thought the whole point of classic was to have the old style game, talents trees and good old grinding…

Cata destroyed talent trees and so much more of what “classic” was or is. Why move past WothLK??

Why not just play retail at that point? You are basically paying to step back in time and do old trash again.

Probably to do the dungeons and raids in the same way they were done a decade ago. It’s weird how, because Cataclysm streamlined the talent system and replaced old content that very few people were doing anymore because almost all players were in Northrend 100% of the time, WotLK is somehow considered much more like Classic than like Cataclysm when it really wasn’t.