Should I buy this RAM? On sale, 4400mhz

Shiftydruid

4400Mhz Patriot Viper Blackout

Replace my 3200mhz (put into another system) and them stick this 4400mhz kit into my system?

Think it will even run at that (or close) speed?

8700k IMC, 5ghz oc, 4.7ghz cache
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 (claims support for up to 4133)

$110 not bad at all

Hmmm, i don’t know, for around price, i was able to get 2x16 DDR4 3200mhz. :thinking:

How much memory you have right now? :no_mouth:

Its Hynix ram chips. Thats why. The cheapest memory chips you can buy. AKA crap. I wont touch anything but Samsung B- Die or Micron E- Die. It also more importantly wont run on your motherboard

1 Like

It’d be cheaper and faster for you to upgrade to a 5600x than to bleed more perf out of your 8700k.

If you can get a mobo like a Maxius Apex X then something like this will be better:

https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820225144?Description=ram&cm_re=ram-_-20-225-144-_-Product&quicklink=true

1 Like

This. However get 5800x if you can. The 5600x wont age well. Console ports are starting to utilize 8 cores. 8 cores will be the smooth gaming minimum standard in 1-1.5years just like 6 cores is now. I mean 2.5years ago it was 4

Salhezar I agree with her just get the 5800x and use your current ram. Or if you dont care about it not aging well get the 5600x. Either processor will be a night and day difference. MUCH bigger upgrade then just doing RaM. Either CPU is a great pairing for your 3080

1 Like

Well, not if you can’t find one. Trying to piece together another build and I don’t want to buy more cheap ram.

I guess I will just pull 16gb out of mine and it will still be okay

To be clear: the only game that has any meaningful amount of cpu bottleneck is freakin WoW lol

Everything else is 95%+ gpu usage

If all you play is WoW that’s going to benefit from a 8700K then don’t bother upgrading. Unless you run in large world PVP or epic BGs, more CPU hosepower won’t make your overall experience much better.

2 Likes

Both the 5600x and 5800x are always on ebay for roughly $25-35 over msrp.

5800x currently in stock here. Id jump on it fast

Here’s a thought: how about you save your money until there is something available that will give you a noticeable improvement in performance and that doesn’t require that you support scalpers?

1 Like

I’m assembling another system. Not specifically upgrading for the sake of upgrading.

I’m just going to split my existing 32gb into 2 different systems for now, though.

Won’t support scalpers. Don’t worry.

2 Likes

I know you are starting to itch to upgrade your CPU to match your upgraded GPU. My guess is that itch will be scratched once the new DDR5 based platforms come out, get your new RAM then.

1 Like

what is your final verdict on platforms? you staying with AMD or swapping back to Intel?

Ill know this week. After I get into work and see if I can get a fix for these compatibility issues

When a new type of RAM comes out usually the older, higher quality RAM is still faster vs the 1st or 2nd gen of the new RAM. Over time the new RAM will skyrocket faster as the build process improves for both the RAM and controllers.

Thanks, not my first rodeo with new versions of RAM. The “itch” I was talking about with Sal was not his desire to upgrade his RAM but rather his desire to upgrade his CPU. The RAM upgrade would have been a result of the CPU upgrade on a new platform using a new series of RAM.

I’m not really considering upgrading the CPU at this time. I only considered it because I’m assembling another PC with leftover parts for my sister, and didn’t want to buy even more cheap RAM, and instead just get better RAM for me.

But I’m going to be just giving her half of my 32GB since it’s kind of extra anyway.

1 Like

and with only 2 sticks the IMC can handle a 3600mhz OC

2 Likes

Went back to the i9 10900k. Is the verdict got sick of all the RAM issues and dealing with AGESA at all in general.

https://i.imgur.com/qo4063H.jpg

1 Like

That’s a shame, the 5800x I’ve installed is 90% okay. I never liked messing around with ram for ryzen.

However my 3070 has this weird problem ever since I’ve updated BIOS. I have two of the exact same monitors but if I plug monitor A into display port 1 and when I move to my second location and plug monitor B into display port 1 I would start to get display drivers crashing.

Plugged monitor B into display port 2 and everything is smooth sailing.

1 Like

No its not. Its a breath of fresh air not feeling like a beta tester anymore. I dont want my personal rig to feel like R&D. Zen2 did. Now Zen3 does also. Intel’s new tagline should be. “Intel. It just works”

Within 10min I had a solid 5.2 All Core OC and runs so much cooler than AMD. Everything is running flawlessly. Things “just working” is something you can not put a price on.

3 Likes