Should Alliance players have any say for what happens to important Horde Characters?

From what I’ve seen, the arguments about Calia not fitting with the forsaken are talking about a meta and thematic perspective, not an in-universe one. It doesn’t matter how many bony NPCs come out to say they support her because that’s not what the argument is about.

Think of your typical zombie. “Smooth and unblemished, glowing from within with an arresting light” is not what would come to mind, yet that’s how Calia is depicted.

Now TO BE FAIR, Sylvanas wasn’t depicted as a traditional zombie either. But at least Hot Topic Goth is more theme-adjacent than Pure Porcelain Princess.

15 Likes

Atleast it made you feel better. Sounds like you’re bummed out about it, or you’re a sad person or something.

As a note … not to point out the obvious … Sylvanas herself was also never really “Forsaken”. Either by her people (the BEs) or by her Family (Vareesa in particular). It was her own actions long after she adopted the name of “Forsaken” that created that rift between her and her younger sibling. Especially after her manipulation of Vareesa to try to compel her into killing Garrosh, to isolate her from the Alliance and raise her into undeath. But she was in no way rejected for being Undead itself.

Sylvanas Windrunner … did not experience being “Forsaken”. Lillian Voss, ironically, absolutely has. Though Sylvie does at least share the enslavement and to the Scourge element of the Forsaken Experience.

There has always existed, and it got even more apparent in Cataclysm, a schism in the Forsaken playerbase between people who want “awesome metal zombie griefers” and those who want “humans with skin conditions” and I honestly see this as largely being an extension of that. These two visions of the Forsaken are pretty much completely at odds with each other in every way. The appearance of one is always going to necessarily mean the suppression of the other.

I still maintain that the most obvious and easiest solution is to just put the latter on the Alliance with Lightforged Undead but Blizzard didn’t do that in BfA even though it seemed really clear that they were signaling it.

1 Like

This is the case for 99% of the Forsaken as well. The name “Forsaken” has always been absurd because they were never actually collectively forsook.

Do you really want playable alliance zombies or is that just your in for a reclaimed Lordaeron?

3 Likes

A little from column A, a little from column B.

“If the Forsaken are the people of Lordaeron and identify as such, why aren’t they Alliance” has always been a major question looming over them, a question that becomes even more prominent after BtS when it’s established that the only reason that those who identify strongest with Lordaeron aren’t Alliance is because they didn’t realize that was on option (thanks to Sylvanas’ lies)

If the Forsaken are already split based on their preferred political affiliation it might as well be made official and maybe we can finally move on from this forum argument that’s old enough to vote.

Well, based on even BtS … they would have been. But no, technically they were only convinced that they were actually forsaken by their manipulative abuser. Which is a pretty classic manipulation tactic tbh. But, BtS does also reinforce the idea that even Anduin had trouble scrounging up a handful of volunteers for the Gathering. Many of those left on the edges of the field the moment they took a look at the Forsaken. And while there absolutely was a growing minority that hated the Forsaken for what they’ve done as Forsaken; the majority still hated and feared them for the Scourge. For what they are and remind them of.

The most powerful families of the gathering where not those two absurdly rare ones that did re-establish a connection. But rather those greater numbers that still met, but amicably (and tragically) realized they had too little in common to reforge that connection. Parting on sad, but even terms. But like it or not, the Forsaken (and all Undead) are the unliving embodiments of all the Horrors and Tragedies of the Scourge. And for many, they would be a constant reminder of that. Which means … that Humanity likely would have Forsaken them (had they actually had the chance). At least initially, right after the Scourge.

1 Like

I definitely fall in with the zombie griefers, haha. The draw for me playing Horde was to be able to play as monsters. I don’t see why the narrative keeps trying to turn us away from that theme.

1 Like

I get the sense that you think I’m talking about you, but in reality I actually have no idea who you are.

6 Likes

Oh, idk why you’re being hostile? I was just responding with sincerity, even in this reply I think you would find all sorts of things unimplied.

I think you are the only one being hostile right now. You kinda went off as soon as the topic shifted to why people have opinions or dislikes when it comes to Calia’s “role” perceived or otherwise.

7 Likes

I ‘went off’, care to point to anything indicating that? Literally having an alternative opinion to people wailing doesn’t mean I’m going off.

No, I’m not being hostile. Valko’s first post in this thread was literally trying to call people out.

You called OP a troll just for having an opinion that is not the same as yours. It’s not trolling to like this character, or wanting this faction to stay as monstrous as it was in the past.

Jerg makes valid points.

5 Likes

There are 2 problems I have with this angle

A) It isn’t how humans work. Maybe this is ultimately a question of cynicism vs idealism, but think about your loved ones IRL. And then imagine that they were stricken by some horrible disfiguring disease that they managed to survive but left them deformed. Would you scream, reject them, and push them away, telling them that you never want to see them again? Or would you cry with them, promise your unconditional support, and always be there for them?

I’d wager most people would choose the latter. Anyone who chooses the former probably had a poor relationship already. Human beings don’t abandon sick and injured loved ones. It’s literally hard-coded in our DNA for hardship to strengthen those bonds.

B) In accordance with your own complaints, the Alliance is the pure lily-white faction that can do no wrong and will always do the right thing. Ergo, the Alliance would never reject the Forsaken. QED

1 Like

Well, he’s asking for sympathy, and retention of a character at the expense of the Alliance’s opinions on the story. He states this one OP, and has only just now admitted he’s of the Forsaken base to be just a monster. Even literally attuning himself to the term griefer, so…

1 Like

He’s asking for empathy. Not sympathy. There is a difference.

And to understand Sylvanas or the Forsaken, requires empathy.

2 Likes

He admitted to really feeling the term griefer. Which isn’t a term that deserves a lot of empathy. What would a empathetic reaction towards a griefer be then?

Do manage a response when you find the time, this empathetic treatment of griefer sounds enlightening.

Fair enough. Sorry for the cynical question.

And like, I get it because I have my own racial bugbear, but I don’t know how it really fixes anything about the story at this rate. :man_shrugging:

Wtf is a “griefer?”