🗜 Should Addons be Banned? [In Classic]

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who thought that. I was very confused when I read this post.

(((They))) must be behind addons, I guess.

push? man, one did not simply ‘push’ their decurse button, one BEAT it like it owed you money, soooooo many keyboards

I do agree most of the part with OP. But the sad thing is we have to admit the new generations and even the old generation with the evolving Internet became too lazy. People began to tend to find “The Easiest” way to achieve things.

I think it just come down to individual level after this point how one going to play Classic. I want to be belong to a “e-family” as you defined which plays the Classic old school way. Preferably with no voice communication but which uses green old school guild chat. People learn to play not with you-tube videos but talking, asking each others. Don’t get me wrong I like technology, I am engineer but I want to taste my once favorite game the way I once played.

I will use neither any add-on nor check net all the time where the things in game are, I will discover and found them out by myself or interacting with others. The people who uses add-on, you-tube videos or chit chat on discord, they can do as the way they enjoy the game, but I will just chose not to be part of it.

Banning add-ons really sounding harsh and dictatorial. Let everyone enjoys the game the way they think it is fun.

2 Likes

I want you to know that this functionality would be better implemented with a webapp anyways. Think along the lines of raider io, if you’re unfamiliar, it has full synchronization with your battle.net account and can gather all of your character information in real-time.

Atlas Loot is just in-game wowhead. Not sure the issue with this

Auctionator was a thing in Vanilla. TSM is what you should be worried about. Could probably do without that.

I don’t know why people think blizzard would even consider removing add ons, add ons have been part of WoW since day one. They are not a new feature and devs have said they fully intended addons and macros to be part of the game.

When the question about what version of the scripting API came up at blizzcon it wasn’t in the context of is there going to be one and neither was the answer. We’re getting a modified version of the legion scripting API with certain functionality stripped out that do things not possible in vanilla. So pretty much every standard add on we use today UI mods/Bag mods/auctioneer/mail box mods/dps and threat meters/quest helpers/map coords/DBM etc
 should still work just fine as these all had some version in vanilla.

1 Like

No addons would be extremely inauthentic. In many ways, the original WoW API was even more powerful than it is today.

You could make one button scripts that intelligently decided which abilities to use under various conditions.

There was an addon (an in-game addon, not a 3rd party program) that could automatically walk you through a zone because very early vanilla actually allowed addons and macros to walk you towards waypoints automatically. This was patched out very early on I believe.

Decursive automated dispelling for part of Vanilla (they’ve already confirmed that that won’t be possible in the API we’re getting for classic).

There were raid addons that automatically selected who to heal and which ability to use to do so intelligently based on missing health at the press of a button when MC first came out.

I believe group BG queue addons were around in vanilla that allowed you to attempt to get larger groups into BGs than could actually queue together. We use to do this to get larger groups into AV than were allowed to queue normally. That could have been TBC
 but I think they were around in Vanilla after we had battlemasters.

While I don’t think addons like oQueue came around until later, I think they would have been possible in Vanilla had someone decided to make one. There are oQueue style addons on Vanilla private servers.

I personally hope they have addons to make grouping a lot easier in Classic than they were in original Vanilla. That would not hurt the game, it would make it better and make a lot more people stick around than they otherwise would have. All the people who don’t want to use addons can choose not to. I’d much rather find groups faster than advertising in various chat channels for an hour to run a dungeon.

1 Like

I think it’s good to have addons in Vanilla as we had those back then too.
But I also think it’s good that Blizzard is restricting their use in certain cases.
So I don’t really see a problem here as this is exactly what seems to be happening.

1 Like

Addons were in vanilla, so no. No changes.

1 Like

Oh back to this again
No. Addons should not be banned. /thread and /end dream of you owning because you think addons gave everyone an advantage over you.

Get rid of addons and it’ll be something else. “Consumables should be banned!” thread next?

1 Like

First Classic addons will have to be re-made for the updated system being used, so unless theres a beta for players to work with, there will be a time gap before addons are produced and when Classic launches. As others have stated Vanilla had addons and the most freedom as such given rise to many patched functions as well as additions to the games native UI. While I agree not having the full grid of Blizzard implemented addons, player freedom to make and distribute them is part of Vanilla and should be part of Classic.

The Vanilla UI was extremely lacking in features compared to the modern UI.

Over the years, Blizzard has incorporated many of the most popular features from addons into the default retail UI.

But back in Vanilla none of that had happened. What you were left with was a simplistic UI that didn’t quite get the job done.

But what WoW DID have that the competition didn’t was an extremely customizable UI through macros and addons. Much more so than any other competing MMO.

Pretty much every serious player back in Vanilla used mods. Threatmeter, Damagemeters, decursive, healbot, Grid+Clique. Heck I think even the raid frame was an addon since the default UI didn’t come with an adequate one.

Regarding automation: Yes, the Classic API allowed MUCH more automation than today’s Retail UI. Sometime after Vanilla, Blizzard decided that it wasn’t a good thing that the game rather than the player was making decisions about what to cast and who to cast it on. Blizzard then specifically disabled the ability to do that with addons and macros. This was a pretty huge change.

2 Likes

Might as well remove gear while we are at it. Keep it “fair” for those too lazy to bother. Lol.
I want choices! This is complete crap

1 Like

Can we remove talents too?

2 Likes

And public shaming of toons employing such witchery!

2 Likes

Do you plan to raid or do any serious group content at max level at all? Because all Discord is, really, is the modern version of Vent, with more features.

1 Like

How bout no?

2 Likes

No. High effort argument bait.

You could have been more effective just saying that LFG replacement mods should be discouraged.

Obviously not the solution.

I’m only somewhat confused by this, Classic is built on the modern framework so I expect whatever measures Blizz currently takes to break addons they consider against the ToS would still apply.

Players are always going to look for an advantage. Personally I think AH scanners, Rare alerts and stuff like Kill the Healer (not sure if that’s still a thing) are dumb and ruin the game for everyone.

Guess we’ll see if split 20 stacks of linen get posted as singles for 1G within a few hours of the latest batch of scummy garbage to come out of any less than ethical addon devs of the future.

100% would support all mods/addons being a bannable offense.

3 Likes