đź—ś Should Addons be Banned? [In Classic]

“LFR, LFD, Cross-realm, and Sharding make the game more convenient, but less social. Before you would have to talk to people, and build communities, while now you can just press a button.”

There is a strong argument for why Conveniences should not be added to Classic, because they would ruin the game and turn it into the single-player experience that is Retail. (You do dungeons, raids, and pvp, but never talk to anyone)

But what if Addons, could be just as bad?

Instead of Blizzard adding LFR, someone creates an “LFR addon” that groups people together for the raid, and does a gear check.

What if someone made an “LFD addon” that scans trade chat and groups you with the right people in seconds?

Wouldn’t that be great? Wouldn’t that be…convenient?

Yea, but what do you lose?

Forming your own groups takes time, time for you to talk to the other people and potentially meet your new best friend.

Forming your own groups is time consuming, so you decide to join/form a guild of like minded individuals, and guess what, you’re now part of an e-family.

And the relationships you build on your way through Classic could have unexpected consequences.

I mean Tom Chilton, a former lead Wow developer, actually met his wife in game.

The point is, Classic works, but like any machine, you remove one gear, or screw something too tight, and the machine flies apart.

That is why the #NoChanges argument is so important, because people are afraid of the slippery slope of the World of Warcraft; one wrong step and we’re back with the problems in Retail, which is what we want to avoid.

So to be on the safe side, ALL addons should be banned in Classic, because they will trivialize and damage the game.

Not convinced? Here are more arguements

I watched a video by Frostadamus, “7 Addons for Classic Wow That Will Make your Life Easy”, and the very premise of the video “make your life easy” really ticked me off.

Trivializing leveling
Quest helper…there is an addon right now that tells you where all the quests are in Classic. So just like in Retail, all you have to do is mindlessly open the map and head for the highlighted blue areas to then mindlessly kill the mobs for the quest…Fun isn’t it?

In Classic, there was no such thing. You had to actually read the quest text, and then go explore and find the mobs yourself. So instead of being a mindless drone like in retail, you were a real adventurer. Just figuring out how to do the quests was a puzzle that you had to solve, and addons will only deprive you of that immersive gameplay.

Atlas Loot is the definition of Cheating
It tracks all the Dungeon quests…just like Retail.
It has a map of the Dungeons…just like Retail.

Isn’t that great? So instead of having to learn the dungeon layout, maybe asking a guy in your guild “Hey, you know Blackrock Depths, how do I get here?”, and overall just figuring out the game one Thottbot search at a time…all the information is available all the time.

Why do people want Classic wow if all they care about are the (((Conveniences))) of Retail?

You can’t get the original Classic experience with 50 Retail addons telling you which buttons to press at which time where, when, and how, because addon #51 is literally going to play the game for you!

Automatic Auctioneer
I always knew the Matrix was a stupid movie…machines would never rise up to replace humans…they wouldn’t have to…humans would become so lazy that they would get the machines to do everything for them, and eventually ensalve themselves to their own conveniences.

An Addon that buys and sells on the auction house automatically. What next? Raiding on Auto-pilot? Your addons show up to the raid, while you…do what exactly?
Or maybe Pvp on Auto-pilot? Yea, High Warlord ain’t gonna grind itself, your addons can do it for you with cutting edge A.I technology.

Do you see the problem?

The more (((convenient))) the game becomes, the less the player has to do.
The more Addons you add, the more the player is subtracted, until there is no player, just a bunch of Addons playing a game.

Everyone is too distracted by what Blizzard does to the game, they are ignoring the looming Iceberg of what Addons can do to the game. Blizzard and Addons, are different sides of the same coin.

So, I say again, Addons are a Pandora’s box of problems that can easily destroy Classic World of Warcraft in the same way that LFR, LFD, and other conveniences can.

Let’s not open the box.

ALL Addons should be banned in Classic.

Edit: To people saying you need Addons to raid, watch this Preach gaming video “Legacy of Vanilla Raiding”, which shows raiding is a fun place, not some uber hardcore Method boot camp. (I will 100% bring a pirate hat to Molten core :slight_smile: )

45 Likes

Is this a serious thread? Because I’m not able to take this as a serious thread.

91 Likes

blizzard already said they would break any addons that automate stuff. that includes anything that do an LFR and LFD and stuff.

42 Likes

No. The native UI is not adequate for group/raiding. I don’t want a dps meter, but I do want a threat meter.

27 Likes

No Decurse?! NOT MY VANILLA!!

2 Likes

no decurse, no healbot, no etc.

5 Likes

no peggle on flight paths QQ

14 Likes

HealBot is a bit different, it shouldn’t be as automated, but Grid + Clique is the same thing.

1 Like

Simple: Click the player, Press the “Decurse” spell…done, it’s not that hard

8 Likes

Vanilla had add on and the same ones will be and should be in classic. Otherwise that would be a change and… #nochanges

15 Likes

I think addons are actually good for the game.

However, HOT TAKE. I would LOVE if DBM and BigWigs type addons were banned. Make player watch the mob queues and movements. This alone would make raids actually challenging.

7 Likes

Decurse literally had you push a button and you’d decurse a player that needed it.

3 Likes

Whether there are addons for classic or not will depend on two things – (1) the addon developers writing them, and (2) the devs giving the addon developers the “hooks” to make them work with the game’s code. Blizz doesn’t have to “break” an addon, just don’t give the developer the “hooks” necessary for the addon to work with the game.

1 Like

Yea but in 2019, addons are so powerful they can literally play the game for you, while in 2004-2006 addons were nowhere near the level they are now.

It would be like saying “We need to use Telegram and morse code in the Internet age”, as much as you will try to get people to use Telegram, everyone will just use Internet because it is more (((convenient))).

1 Like

Actually believe it or not, addons were much more broken earlier on back in 2006ish. The API for addons was very loose and you were able to pretty much create a bot through macros as well as manipulate ingame files.

18 Likes

Not only should addons be not-banned, but they should also re-introduce the more advanced scripting we could do. I rather liked automating healing, since I actually hated healing and never wanted to do it but I was forced to do that dumb job as a paladin if I wanted to raid.

Having 1 button to auto target the lowest HP player in the raid and then 1 button to automatically choose the most mana efficient flash of light rank that was toggled to have the same calc, but for holy light on an alt-press was amazing. I watched so much hard core po… I mean wholesome youtube videos while I “raided” as a heal/buff bot.

At the very least, addons should exist in their current form.

1 Like

This is most decidedly not true. The old Vanilla API and addons allowed a great deal more automation than the modern game ever had.

As an example, the aforementioned add-on “Decursive” allowed you to spam a single button and cast your class appropriate cleanse spell. A single macro allowed you to cleanse your raid almost instantly because you didn’t need to select anyone in the raid, the macro and addon allowed you to do this. Blizzard had to break the API so that it could not do the work for you.

10 Likes

Playing without addons is just 100% garbage. Can’t see threat. Raidframes are non existant.

Hard Pass

14 Likes

…Is an immersive experience where YOU play the game

10 Likes

I’d be for it if it weren’t so punishing. As it stands, if you pull threat, which there is no indication of in game when you’re getting close without an addon in classic, you get 1shot and killed without a chance to react or even knowing it was coming.

8 Likes