🗜 Should Addons be Banned? [In Classic]

Threat meter possibly I can see or dps meter above that I don’t see a need for the rest of them.

5 Likes

I don’t think you know how addons work. The best ones largely show you information that is hidden, or that is shown poorly.

13 Likes

Based on on an old backup copy of my interface folder from May 2006 I was running ~16 different addons which included:

• Nurfed UI - Includes Folders for General, HUD, UnitFrames, Utility, ActionBars
  • Auctioneer (this is prior to the date of Oct 2006 listed in an above post)
  • Autobar
  • AF Tooltip
  • Combat Stats
  • Enchantrix - Enchanting addon
  • Enhanced Tooltip
  • Informant
  • MCP
  • Mob Health
  • Necrosis - Warlock specific addon
  • SCT - Scrolling Combat Text
  • Stubby
  • Titan Panel
  • UberQuest

That doesn’t include the raid addons like CTRAID assist, KThreat meter and I think a couple of others, that I included when I started raiding later in the summer.

I play with far fewer addons now. I’d post an old screenshot of my UI from then if I could but I haven’t ground enough forum rep yet apparently.

5 Likes

I’m actually pretty sure it’s the exact opposite.

Mods back in the day would fully automate some functions. I’m not aware of any that do such now.

11 Likes

The big thing people who propose banning mods seem to be missing (aside from the fact that mods are very much an essential part of vanilla) is that one of the things that made vanilla wow so much nicer than retail is that what you got out of it was dependent on what you put into it.

You can get those conveniences you spoke of via addons, but finding addons, setting up addons, and keeping them updated requires additional effort. In retail, you just get them. Put an hour a week into the game or forty hours a week into the game in retail, and you get access to the exact same content and experience.

You can make an lfd addon or an lfr addon, but the kind of people who would want them aren’t the kind of people by and large who would put in the effort to actually mod their game.

No comma needed.

And you spent a lot of time typing a story that is as likely to happen as LFR. Maybe they ban certain addons, or certain types, just as they did in vanilla, but the game was built around the freedom to create addons, so there’s no way in heckfire that classic is going to come out with all addons banned.

3 Likes

Of course addons shouldn’t be banned.

1 Like

Some addons should be banned, yes.
Those that trivialize the core design philosophy of vanilla.

Saying all addons should be banned is not only dumb, but completely counterproductive and is already against vanilla game philosophy.
They were fine in vanilla for years and addons is something that can easily be banned if it gets too big, and they already said they would.

Beyond that, this is just a massive wall of text that’s not needed to relay such a simple message.

9 Likes

I like to be able to customize my ui.

2 Likes

I didn’t read your post. But no.

7 Likes

I’m not immersed when I have a have a bad UI that doesn’t show me any relevant information.

Yes there are some addons that probably will go too far but I think the majority of them will be fine.

An outright ban on all addons would be horrible to play.

3 Likes

Yeah but I have 3 monitors.
So if they were to ban addons, I’d just have WoW on the main screen, a quest helper on one, and a WoW database on the other.
Filled with all the maps and “cheats” I can handle.

Literally nothing anyone can do about it.
Why take the moral highroad and try to ban them?
It’s just going to annoy people.
If you want to have a purist Vanilla experience and keep addons off, go for it.

5 Likes

Not having a built in threat meter was always confusing. If EVERYONE is going to be downloading a threat addon (omen most likely), Blizz might as well have it built in, like retail.

And YES, I know that’s a change, but if EVERYONE is gonna just download an addon anyway, that it doesn’t even seem like a change. : /

3 Likes

No addons would be kind of cool.

Nobody would know who is bad at dps since there is no dps meters.
Everyone would pull threat.
More raid wipes because no deadly boss mods or equivalent.
Curses would be more of a threat.
The economy would be different since there is no auction addons.

but that would never happen.

1 Like

You’re not gonna take away my damage/healing meters.

I’m all for them banning addons that automate stuff, and from what I know, that’s exactly what they’re doing.

1 Like
6 Likes

Blizzard can’t exactly predict emergent player behavior. They intended to break mods that automate gameplay.

This would require wide spread adoption to be effective. I expect Blizzard would notice and break the addon.

It wouldn’t be great. It is a convience. You lose the authentic Vanilla group making experience.

Addons are an authentic aspect of the Vanilla WoW game experience. I used many addons back in 2004-2005 and removing them is an unnecessary change. Any addon that is so damaging to the game will be noticed by the Classic development team to either allow and deny.

There was such a thing. Fun is subjective anyway. There existed numerous resources for questing help from the brady games WoW strategy guide to Thottbot etc.

Your definition of cheating is wrong. This was a very popular addon. I used it in 2005 and intend to use it again in Classic. Atlas Loot Enhanced didn’t track quests it just listed boss drops, sets and profession information.

Want to drop that (((echo))) before you’re taken any less seriously?

Auctioneer was an addon that was available during Vanilla. An iteration of it should be supported for Classic as it wasn’t deemed automation like Healbot or Decursive.

No.

Trying to make a point with your (((echo))) eh?

How about no. Have a nice day.

1 Like

Rofl. Yea, yall bored as hell.

No, your argument is ridiculous.

That is like saying Google should be banned because it eliminates social interaction and makes information too easily accessible.

3 Likes

should break all addons and see if players got the skills to do it. That is how it should be played.

3 Likes