Sharding puts Vanilla gameplay second (anti-sharding anthology)

You sure do like telling people what they can and cannot enjoy without any regard for how wrong you are.

There’s far more to WoW - whether Vanilla or Modern - than grouping up and/or competing over quest mobs or nodes.

2 Likes

So? What’s the hurry?

1 Like

I have a job I goto on a regular basis. Why is rushing to level a first char a bad thing? Why do you think sitting in 1 location unable to do much is a good thing? And more importantly, why do you think people would stick around if the game isn’t able to be progressed? If the argument is about having a strong community with many people to play with (that a lot of no-sharders use as an argument), why is chasing people away a good thing?

2 Likes

Pretty much says it all, some of us want to optimise our game time, i suspect most of us have leveled to 60 enough times to have ‘experienced it fully’

*****edit: just to be clear i only support sharding in the first week or two and only in 1-20 zones if necessary

1 Like

i dont play bfa, but i saw lots of people out in the world doing world quests in legion with sharding and crz

ironically it was much more than i ever saw on my home server

to be clear i would never advocate for crz in classic, but i am ok with shards. those features seem to blend together in the modern game, but it will be different with no crz

It’s not a bad thing. But the entire game shouldn’t be crafted to accommodate that kind of convenience. Current WoW follows that design, and how’s that worked out for the game? It just goes to show convenience isn’t what keeps players around.

2 Likes

Retail has a lot more that pushes people away that has nothing to do with Being able to play the game day 1. I’d hazard to say that people being able to play the game is far lower on the list of “bad things in retail” than you claim.

1 Like

What is this ‘being able to play the game’. If sharding is being done to help queues, then maybe you’d have a point. But you’re talking about the convenience of not having to compete over quests. That’s not removing the ability to play the game.

1 Like

literally just the first 20 quests you do on your journey to 60 though…
you can take as many years as you want to level i personally just don’t plan on being caught up with the people who don’t know the optimal way to level.

So your idea of playing the game is being able to log in, period? That’s not playing. If I’m going to be spending $15/month I would like to do more than just sit there and twiddle my thumbs.

1 Like

Dear modern WoW players and others who are willing to put Vanilla gameplay SECOND:

It’s frustrating to see that the modern WoW players and a troll or two have hijacked this thread. They have decided to make, what I thought was a heart-felt petition to think about what sharding will do to Classic WoW, into a new Wall of No.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20742924694

The argument of my post was this:

• Vanilla gameplay did not use sharding.
  • Vanilla gameplay was founded on community.
  • Sharding literally breaks up community by separating players.
  • Therefore, sharding is not Vanilla gameplay and puts Vanilla gameplay second, after modern server performance and population distribution technology.

I have not been waiting since 2009 to move back to WoW for “server performance and population distribution.”

I am returning to experience again the real, live, breathing persistent community that was the foundation of Vanilla gameplay.

I’m sorry this may come off as rude, but if you don’t understand what that means, then you never will.

For those willing to put Vanilla gameplay SECOND with the use of sharding (however “time-limited” it may be), please spare yourself from having to bend over backwards around this fact:

Blizzard is planning to put Vanilla gameplay SECOND behind server performance and population distribution with the use of sharding.

Modern WoW players (or those Vanilla players willing to put Vanilla gameplay SECOND), may find a more welcoming reception in the General discussion - where anyone can ask and receive more sharding and all kinds of changes to modern WoW and enjoy all the conveniences that those changes have brought to the game since Wrath.

But please take down your Wall of No in front of me and those who just want to experience Vanilla/Legacy WoW again.

I don’t want to login to Classic WoW without a queue, instantly loot a spawn and be spared any inconvenience - that’s not Vanilla.

I want to move to Vanilla World of Warcraft again just as it was, with all of its imperfections.

And, after dropping the Wall of No into the recycle bin, enjoy your sharded, solo-play, convenience-based game - but over in BFA.

While you enjoy sharding with all of its server performance and population management benefits, I want to be running around (side by side) with friends and others who want to call Vanilla WoW again our community.

1 Like

The problem isn’t that we feel the need to put up a “wall of no”.

Its that we disagree with your premise. We know what you want. We just don’t want to damage Vanilla’s long term stability to let you have it.

1 Like

tl;dr the rest.

vanilla launch wont even come close to the same population as classic launch - it doesn’t make sense to compare them.

regardless as you say - it’s going to happen and i will get what i hoped blizzard would do with sharding out of the launch.

Just the same as most opinions i’ve seen though - i don’t want sharding to be involved in the game full stop after the ‘launch’ or ‘tourist period’ ends.

1 Like

We know what your argument was. It was unconvincing, and repeating it doesn’t make it any more convincing.

1 Like
  • Vanilla gameplay was founded on community.
  • Sharding literally breaks up community by separating players.

Sharding only temporarily breaks up players. Sharding gives a chance for more players to play the game, thus building a large and vast community that may not exist if players cannot play due to overfilled starting areas. If the community is chased away because they cannot enjoy the game (outside of standing there looking at the graphics), the community you so desperately seem to be concerned about may dissolve before it even takes form.

2 Likes

So do more than twiddle your thumbs. That’s up to you.

It’s the philosophy being put forth that convenience is more important than community or immersion or the rpg elements that I’m dead-set against. You say you want to make the most of your time in the game. Well, I guess that means they should add lfd and lfr? Who has time to form groups and travel to physical dungeon locations? That’s not an efficient use of my time!

Am I creating a strawman? No, I’m illustrating a point. Players have become used to the conveniences that Current WoW provides. They’re used to that kind of experience where nothing can hinder their gameplay. It’s up to the PLAYERS to make the adjustment to the Classic experience. Blizz can’t pick and choose convenience elements like this. Because once players come to expect that type of design, they’ll come to rely on it. And every little convenience will be condemned and players will flood the forums and demand a ‘fix’ similar to sharding. I don’t want that kind of philosophy anywhere near Classic. It will be its downfall.

4 Likes

That’s a slippery slope fallacy. There is nothing stating that blizzard will bow to players asking for conveniences. They’ve done plenty so far to put their foot down saying they won’t do certain things so there’s no reason to suggest they wouldn’t do so in your example.

And it isn’t just about “convenience” as you’re fixating on. It’s about making sure the game actually has a community that doesn’t just up and leave because they can’t play the game.

2 Likes

The case in point is not sharding will be more destructive to the community at launch, and would likely turn a lot of people off classic.

1 Like

All these people talking about convenience oriented mindsets, and then you see they played on a PvE server for the majority of their time on WoW.

That’s the biggest convenience you can ever have, rofl.

1 Like

If you keep missing the point, raise your arms and jump. That should help.

2 Likes