Sharding puts Vanilla gameplay second (anti-sharding anthology)

Having starting zones resembling concerts for the Rolling Stones would not be faithful to the original game. Sharding will help reduce that.

I am also curious as to how sharding will actually make the game feel different.

2 Likes

Calling for no sharding whatsoever is fine. Sharding is detrimental to the game in the long term. However, if you are one of the people who call for no sharding at all, not even for the first couple days or just the starter zonesā€¦ you better not be one of those people calling for more than a 2500 person server cap as well.

Vanilla wow was designed around system constraints back in the day. However, just because those constraints are lifted now, does not mean that the game design will suddenly support 8k populations. And if you think sitting in Northshire abbey or Durotar etc with 2000 people isnā€™t going to be a problem, I have the cure to cancer here, $20 a treatmentā€¦ wanna buy some?

Because only a small percentage will get past 20. If you cap servers at 10,000, even if 20-30% get past 20, it wonā€™t be an overloaded server. If you see a conversion rate of more than about 5 or 10% starting to get past 20, add more servers immediately. That way by the time the server is at a medium ā€œpast 20ā€ population, new players will be already diverted to new locations.

I already have a fear that Blizzard will launch with too few servers. 10 is far too little, 30 maybe too little as well. But when 2-5 million people descend on the servers, and only 500k remain afterwards, a server capped at 3k, with that same adjustment, will have between 300 and 750 active players. Thatā€™s a low to dying server population.

You canā€™t use the same techniques from Vanilla alone because the same population graph from Vanilla will not occur. Hell, Iā€™m probably being optimistic about the residual playerbase. Some people have emphatically said that no more than 25k people will continue past the initial wave.

YOU were the one that said new servers should be added only if more than a trickle make it past 20.

Since you are talking about adding new servers to which new players will be diverted, then there must be more than a trickle making it past 20. This means that those servers with more than a trickle making it past 20 are in all likelihood overcrowded.

How does diverting new players to new servers help those servers that are already overcrowded with more than a trickle making it past 20?

1 Like

If they go with no sharding, it wonā€™t matter in the long run, as the majority of what would have been the resitual population will quit because either they got sick of waiting 4 days in a queue only to be disconnected, or Blizzard added too many servers and now every server has a population of 300.

1 Like

Sharding is garbage and we all know it. Nobody wants it and itā€™s been discussed to death already. Search feature mon amis, itā€™s there.

Sharding is putting gameplay first. Sitting in a multi-hour queue (as I did many times on Illidan over the years), or waiting as 100 people try to tag the same named mob is not good gameplay. Sitting in a multi-hour queue I suppose was an authentic vanilla experience, but something Iā€™d like to see done better this time around.

Also, I couldnā€™t care less if itā€™s temporary or not. It will only come into play when thereā€™s extreme numbers of people in certain crowded zones. When itā€™s less crowded and not needed it automatically wonā€™t be happening. If 10,000 gnomes decide to roll at the same time because some streamer thought it was a good idea a year into Classic, then sharding SHOULD come back on. It needs no time-specific limitation. Use it when itā€™s absolutely necessary, which is not the same as live WoW at all where shards are sparsely populated and actively try to keep specific faction balances on PvP shards and mix people xserver and frequently toss you into another shard in the middle of doing something.

I wonā€™t even care when it inevitably comes into play occasionally in say Blackrock Mountain when thereā€™s 1,000+ people on the same server going to MC/BWL at the same time. I had 40v40 guild clashes in BRM in Vanilla, but I certainly never saw several hundred people or 1k+ all in BRM at the same time. Iā€™d much rather have higher population caps with sharding when absolutely necessary than garbage level population caps that result in 10x as many dead servers with nobody to play with a few months in.

1 Like

Ugh. This is such a bloated and unnecessary post. No one cares. And making parts of your own post bold doesnā€™t make it any more interesting or valid.

[citation needed]

1 Like

[Implication that Iā€™m not accurately portraying the opinion of the community at large not needed]?

Semantics, look it up.

You said ā€œnobodyā€. That is inaccurate. You speak for no one but yourself. If you are trying to, youā€™re being pretentious (look it up.)

Your statement should read that you donā€™t want sharding. You donā€™t speak for any community ā€œat largeā€.

But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

I think itā€™s more fair to say a majority of people donā€™t like it or are against it. But are willing to tolerate it, if itā€™s removed within the first few weeks for limited to 1-9 zones.

2 Likes

This I would agree with wholeheartedly (itā€™s also where Iā€™m at on the subject.) And of course, you have the extremists on both sides.

Give me a break. ā€˜Nobodyā€™ echoes most of what I read on the subject on the WoW forums. If you want to play language police and argue semantics (look it up) thatā€™s fine.

Launch and starter zones, fine here watch my Iā€™m going to do it again, I think everyone (see how I substituted a generality for whatā€™s commonly accepted to mean most people) agrees this isnā€™t the worst idea in the world. A necessary evil if you will. Everywhere else, bad for the game and the experience if weā€™re recreating Vanilla as a goal.

Nobody who cares about Classic wants it. However, people who can see past their own nose, and care about Classic, know that we need it for the launch period.

Inaccurate, but thatā€™s ok.

This however, would seem to be correct.

And neither do you. Stop pretending you speak for everyone.

The petition was for legacy servers - NOT for legacy servers with modern sharding and convenience features.

Not sure what petitioned you signed, but I signed up for legacy servers.

1 Like

To be clear, weā€™re not getting ā€œmodern shardingā€ as it is implemented in retail. Weā€™re getting a modified version that only applies to a small subset of zones to handle a short term problem at the start of the gameā€™s launch.

2 Likes

And to add to that, many people, especially those arguing for no sharding, donā€™t even know they extent of what sharding is and have constantly been confusing it with both cross realm zones and phasing.

2 Likes

Blizzard has never said sharding will be removed from Classic WoW.

We need a Blue Post on this topic ASAP.