Sharding puts Vanilla gameplay second (anti-sharding anthology)

Or looking at it another way, they claimed that only world bosses would be protected from sharding. The player density isn’t going to magically disappear after the starting zone, removing the “need” for sharding. If anything it’s going to to rise in the more popular areas around IF and SW as the Night Elves make the run to those cities.

2 Likes

No one wants sharding. No-one is saying “Sharding zones will improve my ability to talk to guildies” or any other nonsense.

However, reasonable people (including specifically Blizzard) recognize that there will be a significant population disparity between the first week of launch, and the subsequent two years.

Possible solutions including server additions and later merges, dynamic respawns, mega-queues and sharding have been presented.

The best of a bad lot, is sharding, which is why Blizzard have chosen to go with it.

Sure, if you ignore the other things they’ve said.
And player density will disperse as not every player will complete quests at the same rate. You also have the people who will die easily. Those who will need to stop and eat/drink. Those who will play for different times. Those who will do professions while levelling, thus slowing their level gains. There will also be those who just won’t make it past a certain level.

Also historically, L20 has been a hard barrier for a vast percentage of the new players.

Sharding is a big yikes

1 Like

Eh, as long as it’s truly temporary I can live with it. I don’t want it to stay longer than necessary though.

I can understand them for wanting to use it, lowbie zones are going to be hectic asf at the start.

2000 players in durotar? so what… 12000 players per server?

And you only want to shard the starter zones right?
Like the barrens? The “starter zone” you spend hours upon hours in. By the point youre 20 (and still in the barrens mind you) you would be around lvl 60+ on retail.

Do you even think through your own words?

SHARDING CAN NOT HELP WITH QUES!
THEY WILL NEED HARD SERVER CAPS – SHARDING OR NOT

Why is it so difficult to understand?
I dont get it.

Edit: And dont shard the freakin barrens for the love of god.

2 Likes

You don’t read beyond your own misconceptions. Those high numbers will only exist in the starter zones, and most will die off long before they leave sharded areas and only for the first week or so.

After that, turn ALL sharding off.

And if players dont leave until lvl 20? Or if 8k of 12k stick around?

More sharding it is then.

You dont care about the health of the game. Thats certain with statements like that.

Possibly sacrifice the whole game for what? Not having ques?

So worth /s.

2 Likes

Continuing to not read any further than what you want. I’ve repeatedly said that if they see more than a trickle of people passing 20, they need to rapidly add extra servers and spread the load out, because the desire surpassed expectations.

None of your arguments are new. Only your name.

So splitting servers up, the absolute worst you can do.

Gotcha.

3 Likes

Reading isn’t your strong suit is it.

I said diverting new players to new servers.

Can’t we get a “beta” for the tourists :wink:

And whats about the high pop server then?

The problem still stands.

2 Likes

Edited OP for clarity and added link to Black Desert Online sharding solution as an alternative.

Please keep the discussion civil and productive.

Stay focused on the one goal: encourage Blizzard to faithfully restore authentic original WoW and its once epic community-based gameplay that we so desparately need today.

1 Like

Entry level Sharding; yes please

Sharding after level twenty or outside the two starting zones, NO!

Stop chicken littling sharding. It’ll make the launch smoother and unless the shard sizes are absurdly small will have a net positive on the game.

1 Like

Sharding has not had a net positive to modern WoW. Sharding (along with all other solo-friendly convenience features) is the reason hundreds of thousands of us petitioned for Classic WoW.

We did not petition for Vanilla WoW with sharding.

Blizzard knows we don’t want sharding.

Blizzard knows sharding is antithetical to original WoW.

Blizzard knows it needs to be faithful to original WoW.

Blizzard must follow through with it’s commitment and deliver the original WoW experience, as J. Allen Brack has stated:

One of the tenets of Classic WoW is none of the cross-server realms and different [server] sharding options that we have available to us today. There’s a lot of desire on part of the community that this is something that they don’t want.
https://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

I don’t want sharding.
If you want sharding, you can enjoy it in BFA today.
Everyone is happy.

This project is not Vanilla + convenience. It is about restoring 2006 original WoW.

2 Likes

How does diverting new players to new servers help the server that is already overloaded and has a significant number of players continuing to play?

3 Likes

I oppose any use of sharding, but I grudgingly accept that Blizzard may decide to take the easy way out and use sharding at launch.

IMO, sharding should not be used beyond the level 1-10(12) zones for any reason.

1 Like

you are comparing apples and oranges the sharding in modern wow is not limited to entry level zones

I signed the petition as have many people who disagree with you; you don’t speak for everyone who signed it so stop pretending you do.

2 Likes