Sharding puts Vanilla gameplay second (anti-sharding anthology)

If you’re looking for it to be faithful, you’re going to be in for a big surprise when the modern interface comes into play.
And the argument to goto BFA is a weak one. I don’t like BFA. I don’t like the way modern wow plays out. I want to be able to play on the old WoW with a stable community. Without sharding, the risks of server mergers, dead servers, or more increase.

This.

The majority of the game will be completely faithful. Will there be a few minor inconveniences or differences? Yes definitely. Will they stop us from enjoying the zhevra hoof grind, or mind controlling Emberstrife? Not at all.

If the first 2 hours of characters levelled in the first weeks being sharded, destroys server communities… they aren’t that strong to begin with. I for one thing that’s a ridiculous claim.

BFA doesn’t have the pre-Cataclysm Azeroth.

Your point is irrelevant.

Speaking of disingenous, it’s not exactly above board to promise to deliver the Vanilla WoW experience - at Blizzcon 2017, in the PC Gamer article, and Blizzcon 2018 Classic WoW Presentation - and make statements that it will be just like it was in 2006 if you woke up from a very long nap - and then say (I’m paraphrasing):

…THAT SAID…well, we know sharding is antithetical to Vanilla WoW but we’re going to do it anyway.

Don’t even get me started on hyping up a big Diablo announcement before Blizzcon 2018 and then unveil Diablo for phones - which no one ever asked for. Talk about disingenous.

Supposedly Diablo 4 wasn’t ready for a preview and they didn’t want another Titan project, especially considering diablo 4 (or was it the 2nd expac? i can’t remember), had supposedly been shelved before.
Also, China asked for mobile games. China is a HUGE market for mobile games.

You are perphas the biggest troll I have ever seen on these forums, to be honest.

Everything I have read you have written is practially irelevant because you outright dismiss pretty much everybody.

But, to be genuine, I’ll respond to your comment about pre-cata content only once.

Classic WoW is about delivering 2006 WoW - as authentically as possible. Not with modern conveniences, like sharding, in pre-Cata zones.

That’s called “Desire Meets Reality”. Is not disingenuous, its accepting that reality and their hopes and dreams don’t match up. They acknowledge that what they’re aiming for is not going to be completely achievable but they aim for it anyway.

Go and rewatch the leadup to the statement you hold in high regard, where he said “As Brian laid out, there are a number of differences…”

2 Likes

And your post is harassment, to be honest, and shall be reported as such

And, if you think that they’re giving Classic WoW out of the kindness of their hearts as a “museum piece” and what they’ve been feeding you is more than simply lip-service and ad-speak… I’m sure there are plenty of bridges over the desert people can sell.

Keywords here… Authentically as possible.
They’re not going to sacrifice some of the modern conveniences when it will help deliver the product to people and make it playable and enjoyable.

2 Likes

Yep. And “as possible” sounds like it will include sharding the starting experience for an actual playable experience. Love it.

1 Like

IMHO, sharding and Classic WoW are antithetical, as Blizzard has stated, period.

The fact they back peddaled and issued a caveat to their own rather absolute statement (sharding and Classic WoW don’t mix) is a conflict and, IMO, disingenuous - i.e., to promise 2006 WoW but then turn around and deliver some temporary form of 2006 WoW for ambiguous amount of time and zones.

Q: With CRZ and Phasing off the table for classic wow, how will you deal with population concerns?
A: Currently there is sharding on Classic WoW Demo, this is a special case. We understand sharding it antithetical to the feel of Classic WoW. But we may use sharding in the first couple weeks but we understand that doesn’t work well with World Firsts, etc.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288411.14/blizzcon-2018-world-of-warcraft-q-a

They are basically saying, hey sharding is bad for 2006 WoW - we know. But we will use it anyway for some period of time as we see fit.

The whole “we know no one wants sharding but we’re going to do it anyway” is similar to, "Hey! We know you like Diablo, we’ll have a huge announcement of multiple Diablo projects. Suprise! It’s just one - something we know you spent thousands of dollars to come to Blizzcon and sit before us - but never asked for. You do have phones, right?
https://blizzardwatch.com/2018/08/08/still-waiting-new-diablo-now-know-will-new-diablo/

Right. That is whole the purpose of my post.

You are suggesting:
Stable playability > Vanilla gameplay

Sharding puts (Vanilla) gameplay second after modern conveniences to help deliver this game and make it playable. I’m not willing to sacrifice Vanilla gameplay (of which community was the foundation) to a cloud-based micro-services infrastructure that turns other players into anonymous ghosts who I will never see again or care about.

In other words, you are making the claim that making Classic WoW “playable” is FIRST. And (authentic, non-sharded) Classic WoW gameplay is second. This contradicts Blizzard’s own Mission Statement.

I’m returning to WoW for the community - not for the instant login.

I would rather wait in a queue and login to my authentic Vanilla WoW than to login instantly and see BFA-like sharding.

Were you actually trying to change any of Blizzard’s implementation? or has this all just been an ivory tower statement of feelings?

Sharding in the opening zones does not affect the community so drastically, especially considering many of those players may never reach max level.

1 Like

Do you have a source from Blizzard that sharding will be limited to starting zones?

Everything I have read and heard is sharding will be used for early launch time “for a few weeks” and starting zones is only a (logical) example.

Does anyone have a source of Blizzard literally stating, sharding will be used “only in starting zones”?

Everything I have read uses starting zones as a (logical) example. But that doesn’t necessarily imply it will be limited to starting zones (i.e., it may be used in Ironforge, for example).

They did specifically say “there” in the answer. It wasn’t an example, it was talking about the specific place where everyone was packed in together.

They specifically said there should only ever be 1 of any world boss (they used kazzak as an example) for the server to battle. They also said they don’t want sharding to result in issues with the economy because of increased rare nodes. This limits lots of areas. With darkshire being a location for a world boss and being around a lvl 20 area, we can logically deduce that, at minimum, that they plan to stop sharding around then at most.

You don’t want to play BfA, you just want a few BfA things that you personally like added to Classic…

I don’t like sharding, I just prefer it to not being able to play period.

That’s an assumption.

Tehcnically, they have never promised to end sharding - only to use it sparingly.

Blizzard has not definitively communicated when sharding will end. An off-hand comment of “a few weeks” after launch was tossed out there during the 2 minute Q&A but nothing offical and nothing in writing.

Therefore, with exception of Kazzak or AQ one would hope, whereever there is load in the world, one can deduce that sharding is a feasible - until they provide more definitive communication.

Blizzard, we need clarity on this soon, please.

1 Like