SHARDING is awful

Can we really not fix this problem. No on likes this bandaid fix, layers are not part of an mmo.

6 Likes

The game would be completely broken on massive servers without layering.

10 Likes

Layers shouldn’t exist but neither should mega servers with populations higher than ten thousand.

I guess they could remove layers and increase spawn rates of resources but I don’t know how this will actually play out in reality, for all I know world lag could increase vastly from the amount of players and bots still continue to dominate farming of nodes.

So forcing people off of mega servers or convincing them to transfer fixes this problem but is also a problem in and of itself, I’m not sure there is a good solution as there’s consequences to every action.

3 Likes

Layers were definitely needed early, but Blizzard had to step in and ensure the population was spread out if they wanted to be able to remove it. The way it is now, especially on my server, layers are mandatory - even with them the world can be very busy.

Yes these particular servers are stuffed to the gills in a game that was designed with 3500+5000 (edit, actually lower TBC and vanilla were 2k-3k)people in mind at most per realm. It’s a situation in my opinion until someone comes up with a genius idea to fix it that nobody has thought of before can’t be fixed without creating new problems. Blizzard at this point is damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

I hate the layers too. Always have.

At the end of Classic when layers were intentionally not on we had dozens of healthy servers with so much choice, but then Blizzard decided that layers belonged in TBCC for good even though they make the game more like Retail and stopped caring. So now it’s too late.

… but yes outside of the huge launch populations which I understand I think layers haven’t done a single positive thing for the game. 25,000+ populations offer the lowest quality Classic experience possible. They are cesspools and feel nothing at all like the original game.

The only reason layers were put in was for the launch population as per Blizzard but they completely rewrote history and forgot this.

5 Likes

Sharding/layering is amazing and absolutely required at least at the start of an xpac. Game would be unplayable without it. Imagine in tbc trying to do hellfire quests with only one layer and 15,000 people fighting over mob tags

Layers are a nonissue. Being able to play is more important than anything else.

4 Likes

First person I’ve seen complain about layers since 2019. No one cares OP.

1 Like

Are layers/sharding the same thing?

No

Then you’ve paid 0 attention. There have been A LOT of threads on this.

4 Likes

Alot of people with bad takes post every day

1 Like

I guess my brain just filters out unimportant garbage most of the time. I haven’t slept for awhile so that’s my excuse for noticing this worthless post. Time to sleep!

Goodnight room.
Goodnight Moo.

1 Like

Some people would rather “true to classic” rather than playable game. They refuse to realize that the amount of players today and then on a server is not comparible and its a required feature for the game to even function

2 Likes

Let’s be realistic. If a server starts off huge and you can’t take away layers. How do you ensure the population is “spread out” lol. Kick people off? Re-instate queues which people obvious won’t standfor?

1 Like

Yep, and I’d honestly personally go further and just fully link all of the realms at this point with cross realm layers so that the player population stops shifting around and killing servers off arbitrarily.

I find it pretty antiquated that where you chose to create your character determines who you can actually play with.

1 Like

Your opinion on bad takes is not the point. The point is that people have talked about this.

Well, I get that, I’ve been cranky too hense my latest posts, but I’ve mostly been avoiding the forums. The forum population changed a lot and most of these current people will agree with you that layers don’t matter. They are mostly hyper focused on themselves and don’t care about things that people would have in the past. Sucks for me though because finding like-minded people on here has become impossible when it was easy before. What can you do?

1 Like

Hot take, i think split factions with zero cross play is a inherently bad game design. But at this point blizzard cant really move away from it, especially in classic.

Also realms are basically only a thing due to technological necessity

You made the assumption that for certain big servers, there were no layers. There were plenty of servers where layers were still called for. They couldn’t just take layers away from those servers.

So I’d like to hear people’s solutions to this. If benediction always had say 3 layers to start. What do they do to prevent mega servers? I suppose they could block transfers there, but in which case we’d just have multiple “mega servers” with layers as people would flock to the next biggest realm.