Sharding alternatives

I can imagine them having sharding for upwards to a month honestly, upwards to 40 or so. I can also see them attempting to use it for other things like the AQ event.

If they shard 1-6, the following 4 zone brackets will be hell. If they shard 1-12, the brackets after will be hell. Theoretically they would have to shard for weeks and upward to 40 to actually “make a difference” with sharding. A queue is healthier in the long run and it allows for people to play without the shadow of a fake world.

4 Likes

There needs to be as many of these “No Sharding” topics as possible so Blizzard get the picture… We don’t want sharding ever not even in the starting zones.

6 Likes

It’s nowhere as big as you think it is.

It’s necessary to run the game on Blizzard’s back end.

1 Like

And what is your alternative to sharding for launch?

I suspect they’d rather have an unplayable, unstable mess just like all the other tryhards advocating for no sharding.

2 Likes

Pretty much. I am not fan of sharding at all, but if we are trying to find a way to fix the issue, ‘do nothing’ is 100% not an option.

3 Likes

Well, it’s either sharding or nothing unfortunately. There’s literally no other “solution” that’s been presented that isn’t somehow worse than sharding.

Given that choice, I’ll take sharding any day. Besides, it’s necessary for Blizzard’s modern back-end. If these guys don’t want Classic to be playable on Battlenet, they can go back to their undocumented servers.

I’m not willing to deal with a 5 hour Q at launch. I will deal with it on AQ main event, however.

2 Likes

Which, ‘nothing’ falls into the group of stuff that is more harmful than sharding.

But I do however think that no matter what the lag is after launch, to just let it go. If there is someone lagging the hell out of hilsbrad because of world pvp, just let it happen.

1 Like

Or you can pay attention to the request for a Queue. I would rather wait in Queue for 5 hours than play with sharding. Sharding doesn’t fix anything and it’s going to ruin the experience of the game as long as its up. It’s also going to heavily inflate ore/herbs early on and then there will be a enormous increase of prices. It affects the economy as well.

Queue > Nothing done 1k per zone > Considering Vanilla abandonware and working on world of starcraft > rought fisting with a eggplant in fist grip > sharding

Sharding is the worst possible addition to the game, and what you need to understand is that even if they shard than people need to continue to remind them how bad it is. Even if you are okay with it for a week you shouldn’t ever express it. Don’t be complacent and screw this up. Nothing on the market is worth a damn right now and allowing this crap to creep farther into the only good thing coming out in 2019 is not a good idea.

2 Likes

but sharding is only temporary if it does get used, you could see ques after launch is done.

1 Like

so long as blizzard stays true to what Ion said at blizzcon (sharding removed COMPLETELY after launch, never to return, for any reason whatsoever, sharding only up to elwynn/durotar/etc, and only for a few weeks), i have minimal problems.

the longer sharding sticks around though, and the more they use it…

1 Like

This is dumb as hell.

What is your main issue with sharding at launch. Tell me the specific aspects of it that you hate.

This is a very very very childish way of looking at things and these statements here need to be highlighted when reading an opinion such as this. Just because something is bad in one aspect (long term) doesn’t mean it doesn’t help/you shouldn’t express it’s benefits in another (short term for launch).

That’s like saying this about chemo-therapy. “WE SHOULDN’T EVER EXPRESS IT’S BENEFITS EVEN IF IT DOES HELP IN THE LONG RUN, WE SHOULD ONLY BE TALKING ABOUT HOW BAD IT IS BECAUSE IT’S LITERAL POISON”.

Christ dude we are all adult enough here (hopefully) to talk about how it can actually benefit populations if we just suck it up for a couple weeks.

2 Likes

Looks to me that the first thing that needs to be do to find a solution is understand the problem.

What issue does sharding address?

From there, dissection of the issue into its many parts. Then build a solution that fits.

Seems a lot of people think lag is the issue. From my understanding it’s tourism. A que system does not fix tourism. Not without limiting the number of servers created. Which would create another big mess.

2 Likes

I’d rather have sharding at launch than a 5-hour queue.

4 Likes

how about the obvious concern? that blizzard won’t remove it, or will use it beyond the realm of what they said?

1 Like

Does blizzard have a history of doing this?

This has nothing to do with chemo and cancer treatment. This about putting a foot down. I could proably relate this to the current state of the Conservative movement in the Republican party and why it’s pathetic and weak. They are not “conserving” anything. They are letting everything they stand for slowly chip away to moronic leftists.

In my view, Classic is 1 thing and 1 thing only. A pure state of vanilla. Accepting losses is going to lead to more losses. You figure out what you want and you lock that down as hard as you can. Even if you lose some chips you never admit to being okay with it. Learn to be a man and protect what you care about. It will do you good in life.

Luckily in this case it’s just a computer game. See what happens in real life. Watch everything you stand for slowly break away because you keep getting soft and compromising.

they have a history of stretching their word just about as far as it can go.
they said a design goal of classic was no sharding and here we are, already likely having it in for launch.

when Ion talked about using sharding for launch at blizzcon he never listed sharding a zone beyond elwynn/durotar/etc and he mentioned only sharding for launch.
i guess we will see what happens.

2 Likes

Oh good. Politics.

2 Likes