Shame on Icy Veins (LFG addon promotion)

They’re promoting a LFG addon for Classic. Here it is in action:

I know addons, especially more advanced addons that were not available in Vanilla, is a hot topic. I think any addons that kill the spirit of Classic, like LFG addons, should be broken.

Some might say, “Well, don’t use it then!” but if a chunk of your realm uses it, it impacts everyone when forming dungeon groups the traditional way.

I will entertain contrary opinions, even though they will be wrong.

Hate the addon? Feel free to like this tweet to get Blizzard’s attention:

Hopefully short-lived:

228 Likes

I would tend to agree with you on this. Though it’s early and I’m not actually thinking it through, just my knee-jerk reaction.

8 Likes

I think this is the main problem. If a lot of people use it, they won’t be advertising in chat.

Edit: Apparently, the addon does post in a chat channel.

5 Likes

Pretty sure Blizzard has already stated they would not allow those to be used, so if they do put it out I’d look for it to be broken pretty quickly

78 Likes

I’d have to see it in use. I am guessing its more of a global channel? You still need to travel to the dungeon etc.

4 Likes

Icy Veins class guides still said a healer (I think it was druid?) should use spirit after spirit was removed from the game, for about 2 weeks.

I didn’t bother with that defunct place after that.

13 Likes

What does it matter?

I’m guessing how the addon works, by the way. I’ve not looked in to it. But I’d imagine it works by having people join a list, and maybe some sort of auto-invite.

You’re only getting people from your realm anyway. In other words, you’re still choosing from the same pool of people that you would have if you announced your need in chat.

I would imagine that if you announced, “LF healer Deadmines!” in chat, and someone responded, you would likely invite them right away.

How is this different from that person joining using an addon?

20 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhKkP8LryYM

Start at 41:45. Ion himself addresses this on stage. He even agrees with you OP that allowing such addons to exist and saying “just dont use them” isn’t enough.

So relax.

20 Likes

I’m getting my AH scanners and PvP scanners. Don’t like addons? Don’t use them!

#MyClassic

6 Likes

The best group finder is, and always has been, guilds

28 Likes

doesnt matter, i dont think ill ever play with pubbies anyways

4 Likes

Yep.

What about an addon for automatic guild-finding? Would everyone be okay with that?

2 Likes

Hey hey hey…guess what?

You don’t need to use it!

And you don’t have a say on what other PAYING COSTUMERS decide to do

4 Likes

Discord channels will also be an LFG “Add-on.” The cool thing about these add-ons is we don’t have to use them if we don’t want to. :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks for the link and I am happy to see Ion’s stance on this.

We’ll just need to be vigilant to call out these anti-Classic addons.

16 Likes

Because you had to interact with that person to invite them, maybe ask what class or spec they were, if there was any gear they wanted. Instead of treating them like a bot by using an addon. Then we’re back at Retail.

30 Likes

Let’s hope this is true :slight_smile:

11 Likes

It looks like Blizzard disagrees with you and your retail mindset.

35 Likes

Those are more like guilds than anything else. Server-specific channels are already a thing, and this is fine. It requires face to face interaction (or the closest thing to it online) to actually group up.

Blizzard also can’t moderate these servers, while they can break these addons.

2 Likes

There’s a difference. Blizzard can actually forbid people of using addons. The op can’t.