Shaman tanking in phase 2 - Voidreaver

Hey, logs are logs, and guilds progress at different speeds. The logs dont lie.

Well, no one said they are the best choice. Actually, I canā€™t think of a scenario where shaman tanks would be optimal. But can they do the job for certain situations (dungeons/heroics) and fights? yes. I mean there is clear evidence of that.

For many reasons actually. We had too many tanks in our guild, so it made sense for me to step down from that role. Like I said above shaman tanks are not competitive compared to the tank classes. Also, in P3-P4 plate saw a huge stam+armor increase something that mail items did not, so itā€™s been different/more challenging phase. Still interesting to see what can be done.

Interestingly enough, I am not a tank right now. My feral druid is pure kitty dps :slight_smile:

1 Like

And thats fine dude.

I could tank 5 manā€™s full DPS enhance in my leather. Iā€™m sure of it.

Would the rest of the players in the group want that? Press X to Doubt.

You are doing things that the game design does not intend. 100% fine, but the class, the gear, the talents, are not set up with the intent that Shaman are actual tanks.

Warrior.
Paladin.
Druid.

Thatā€™s it.

Well you mightā€¦ but your healers will hate you :sweat_smile:
Especially if you are not uncrit.

In contrast a shaman tank that is properly geared and knows what to do, would not over exert healers (specially not on things like 5 mans). Now raids, and certain heroics might be more challenging for sure. Iā€™ve consistently gotten that feedback from healers. It was fine healing me, perhaps a bit more challenging but not by much. On normal 5-mans virtually no difference.

Well kind of, and kind of not, in TBC Blizz still kept remnants of tanking in the shaman talent trees and skills. Such as a high threat spell, shield specialization, armor talent, a defensive cooldown, etc.

Everyone usually accepts that shamans can tank perfectly for dungeons up until lvl 40-ish. Weā€™re basically just taking that and applying it to end-game scenarios to see what can be achieved.

Also, thereā€™s this misconception that weā€™re (meaning shaman tanks) advocating for others to abandon their tank classes in favor of shamans which is not true at all.

Easily. The sustained DPS you need for him dead at 6min is 29,167 DPS. Our Archimonde DPS is only a bit below this and thatā€™s with all the fears, airbursts, and other nonsense that can RNG you into a bad spot. Brutallus is 95% plant-your-feet-and-nuke like Gorefiend, which sees us doing 35k in 2:21.

If we repeated our fastest Gorefiend kill on Brutallus, weā€™d have 5.5mil to go with 3:39 sec on the clock. Thatā€™s only 25k to finish up pre-enrage, and plenty of guilds killed him at 6:05+ without struggling too badly. Heā€™s gonna get slaughtered provided Healers can keep Tanks alive and manage Burns.

You donā€™t get to not use your tools and call that throttling. Basic stuff.

Ah yes, holding keys on a mouse vs holding keys on a keyboardā€¦ so different!

Thatā€™s called flavor for your class given you have a decently high chance at failing to use your tools correctly. Thatā€™s not a Tank problem, thatā€™s a Hunter problem.

I have to throttle when it resist or when it doesnā€™t. Thatā€™s what happens to good players, 2nd. I pump.

Can you please read.

Probably shouldnā€™t shoot things before anyone touches it.

Logs or go away.

Do you think 3.4k dps isnā€™t going to pull threat eventually? My really good fights are when my 1st and 2nd FDs donā€™t resist.

But no one can hold threat against me if I donā€™t try to mitigate/throttle it. I guess there are no tanks in WoW.

1 Like
1 Like

I see yours. And theyā€™re not that great to be honest.

Thatā€™s what I thought.

Until you post on this legendary 3.4k DPS Hunter and show logs, everything youā€™re saying is tripe.

Then stop replying to me, 2nd. Go work on being a better Druid before discussing Shamans.

Sure thing faker.

Canā€™t help yourself because you know Iā€™m not lying.

Someday you can feel self worth. You donā€™t need to get it from a video game though.

That really sucks then. Hes going to get smashed.

1 Like

Was there ever a PTR version of him that was overtuned? Sort of like Magtheridon during beta?

Iā€™m not sure, I was a terrible in original TBC. We killed him in like ZA gear lol.

This was fantastic to read. The amount of degeneracy going on in this thread is amazing, good times.

I have no reason to believe you.

Yup.

1 Like

what

strafing is important

2 Likes