Shaman tanking in phase 2 - Voidreaver

I’ve seen some mouse setups where they have strafing on the mouse itself for pinkie and thumb… just looks incredibly awkward when A and D are right there for the taking…

2 Likes

Talking about that, I just saw this log today of a shaman doing just that!! :slight_smile:

/reports/rV6y7dtXR9kqThGW/#fight=10&type=threat&target=100

Just add the classic . warcraftlogs . com in front of that since I still can’t add links. Sigh.

2 Likes

Man he lucked out like crazy with those resists! Like I’m genuinely envious of his dice rolls because holy crap he averaged overall 71%+ resistance, whereas I’m over here sometimes sub 60%. That’s unreal levels of luck in his favor.

During his lowest spike (18%) he takes multiple tics of Blaze and melee hits with a bunch of HoTs rolling, but all but one melee hit were 75% resists (the loner was a 50%). Had even a single tic of Blaze or an additional melee hit landed at a 50% resist, not even a 25% resist, and that would have been that, a dead Shaman. Both his Shamanistic Rage and his Nightmare Seed ran out at that point as well. And he didn’t have any Demon Fire to worry about either on his side.

DW makes sense since you can’t block these hits anyway and you need the threat desperately, plus the MDs. He also got quite lucky with only 11% resists on his Frost Shock and all his bad luck went into the 40%+ failed melee swings and WF procs. He’s in a ton of PvP gear that does not have much spell hit so again… phew dem dice

Kudos to the guy for making it by the skin of his teeth, but he was a dice roll away from death the entire time.

PS - Their first attempt was a wipe because people fell behind on healing panic focused on the Shaman, letting people die to fireballs and the other Tank dead too.

1 Like

Similar to most Druids tanking Illidan.

Super cool! I love video’s like this!

I thought it would be impossible, because healers and their threat!

You even wrote a short essay about why you claim it can’t be done.

Why do most of your post age like milk?

1 Like

Druids can get so much EH they can literally eat the eye beam and live, no resists. Shush.

Notice the lack of the word “impossible” in my post.

They delay DPSing the add by over 8 sec, pump two MDs into him, and he didn’t miss his first (and only) Frost Shock until 30 sec in.

Literally everything I wrote remains true, and he won by RNG.

PS - Their first attempt was a wipe thanks to the same Shaman’s squishiness.

So what does this mean?

Care to explain?

So what’s not impossible? Shaman tanking :]

I thought that if you need X amount of gear you’re not a tank? Where did that logic go?

Literally what it says: it doesn’t work for Tanking since it cannot consistently overcome the minimum thresholds of success. Showcasing a pristinely favorable RNG log is about as relevant as showing a screenshot of a 20k+ Shadow Bolt crit while talking about DPS.

Shaman Tanking is impossible because it isn’t a thing. In this case in particular, it is impossible for a Shaman to have sufficient survivability and threat to guarantee the same threshold as the legitimate Tanks.

…nowhere? I got tagged by an eyebeam using the same pre-Illidan (mostly pre BT) gear I’ve used since Day 1 and lived. Having over 20k Health allows for that.

Use your head.

I like how the shaman tank haters keep moving the goalposts and always have a reason to why thing that actually happened isn’t valid lol.

2 Likes

Keep trying to rational why what we’re all seeing isn’t real. That’s what makes you 2nd.

I find it incredible that Fasc has the most activity in this post, when all he does is constantly hate on it. He gets his pride from being a tank, trying to degrade that title is a personal attack on him.

RNG to succeed isn’t Tanking and pretending otherwise is silly.

And this applies to Healing and DPS as well.

If you can only meet the minimum DPS needed to clear content with favorable RNG native to your class/spec, then you aren’t a viable DPS for that content.

If you can only Heal the Raid and/or Tank with sufficient procs and RNG critical spells, else the Raid/Tank dies, then you aren’t a viable Healer for that content.

Stated another way: if RNG counts for succeeding at a role, then roles have no real meaning. Under such a framework, every Priest is simultaneously a Tank, a DPS, and a Healer because with sufficiently favorably RNG aggro could be held, damage could be dealt, damage-taken could be avoided, and the boss could (in theory) die.

Don’t be silly.

2 Likes

I dunno. I highly dislike DW (and I know yes you can’t block their attacks in this case) because with DW you are basically running around with perma salv all the time. I think if he did not take spirit weapons his threat would be better perhaps?

Do you think Elemental Warding played a role here Fasc? I was hoping that 10% less fire dmg would help a bit, but I have never tanked these mobs.

Again, no one is saying they are optimal or main tank material for every boss, but they can tank. Yet you keep saying it’s not a thing when people are literally doing it.

The only silly person here is you. You talk a lot of talk and then get hit by one of the slowest and easiest to avoid mechanics in Illidan’s Eye Beam and didn’t wipe the raid only because your class is op.

2 Likes

Spirit Weapons in TBCC only harms his physical threat, not his spell threat, so as long as he’s getting Frost Shock to land he’s going to get most of his threat.

It clearly did because when you look at the log you can see him getting >75% resists. I was just calling those 75% resists for the sake of brevity. His actual resistance rolls were still exceptionally high, hence my comment. The only 25% resist he took was on a lone tic of Blaze. Compare him to his Paladin cohort who resists nearly as badly as me, and the best resists for him were on Blaze, not the melee hits (the worst part).

I’m not arguing about them being optimal, I’m arguing about them being viable, the minimum threshold to do the job. Shaman are not viable for this content. Being reliant on RNG for viability removes the concept entirely since literally every class in every role can RNG favorably if they try often enough.

I didn’t say I tried avoiding it.

Grats for getting it to work OP! Good videos.

Not going to bother to look through all 400+ messages here, but I can’t understand why people are flaming this. Stuff like this is much, much more interesting than the billions of speed kill/pink parse videos.

No one is forcing anyone to raid with OP. If they can find 24 other people who are willing to make attempts at getting shaman tank to work, what’s wrong with that?

2 Likes

Some people do this for fun, that’s fine.

Some people do this to try to be treated like a full fledged Tank, which is silly.

The former aren’t the ones here berating anyone that doesn’t explicitly accept the latter.

1 Like

Omg let it go Fasc. Let it gooooooo

2 Likes

Nope. Lying is bad, people shouldn’t do it.

1 Like