Shadow's Rising Spoiler: Talanji & Bwonsamdi's Relationship

I love Bwonsamdi and Talanji, I think they are more interesting and better written than any other characters in the post-Sylvanas Horde.

But I hate that Blizzard has this obsession with immediately resolving all potential conflicts or sources of tension. Talanji and Bwonsamdi are bound to butt heads in the future? Nope, better to just let them instantly forgive/understand each other and now they are both peaceful, goody good boys/girls who only care about peace and love.

What is this? Are Warcraft fans actually into this style of storytelling? When did Warcraft turn into this? Why are so many rooting for this?

2 Likes

All they did was shift Bwonsamdi away from being an evil loa in his characterization/framing at times in BfA, back to being what he has been in his previous depictions. There’s no reason Bwonsamdi and Talanji can’t have a positive relationship.

No one is saying they can’t or won’t butt heads in the future, but Bwonsamdi was clearly being set up to be a villain in BfA, and frankly, this is a welcome change.

4 Likes

Seems to me that he went from being Chaotic Neutral in Cata, to almost Neutral Evil in BfA, and back to Chaotic Neutral in SL, from what I’ve seen

I’m really looking forward to seeing Talanji in Shadowlands now that she’s not conflicted with her deal in being bound to Bwonsamdi.

It would be interesting to see if her powers take on a new form.

I didn’t really think he was? He just seemed like your average ‘git gud’ character to me :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

In any other setting, sure. But wow turns people like him into raid bosses.

What? Is this because he let Rastakhan die?

I don’t think that makes him evil. I think he was right. Rastakhan was self destructive through the entire Zandalar questlines, refusing to listen to his daughter about any of the things she was warning about. While yes, I would have preferred Rastakhan survived BFA and be our Ancient Troll King figure, when I think about Baron Samedi’s IRL characterizations, this is a good mechanism of representation of that real world myth.

I’m more so referring to the framing of Bwonsamdi being set up as the Loa of Zandalar, and how its constantly painted as a bad thing. A neutral spectator watching the Rastakhan deal cinematic would walk away with the impression he just made a huge mistake, the end of Zandalar cinematic further reinforces that idea when Rastakhan has a horrified face realizing what he’s done. It was framed as a huge mistake, not something they could work around.

Actually, how about Morally Gray? I think that suits him a bit more

Rastakhan might’ve been a bit senile due to his age (he was about 200 years old when he died?) so he might’ve just assumed everything was ok, and his daughter just though he was lazy.

As for Bwonsamdi’s pact, it seemed like he let him die because he was ‘done’ with his deal since he probably knew he’d just die anyway if he hadn’t attempt to fight the invaders

Yeah, they defiantly missed out on some opportunities with Rastakhan here and there. Bwonsamdi is quite a good reflection to the RL Voudou Loa he’s based on, even going as far as having ‘romances’ with others lol

1 Like

I believe Rastakhan had been King for over 200 years by the time he died, no clue how old he actually was. He could’ve been much older than that due to Rezan extending lifespans.

1 Like

I think that’s moreso his making a deal that involved his entire bloodline without telling or asking Talanji beforehand, but all of Bwon’s dialogue during the cinematic was true. Nobody respects, cares about, or really loves Death, even though it’s what keeps life going.

AU where Rastakhan/Talanji got a cooler cinematic comparable to the Spooky Jaina Thros one and the Jaina Saving The Fleet one.