Shadowlands Typo & Grammatical Error Megathread

Quest: Build-A-Bomination
NPC: Ratahn
Error:

Chordy is a great scavenger, rebuilding him could allow us to find more construct parts easier.

Correction:

Chordy is a great scavenger; rebuilding him could allow us to find more construct parts easier.

or

Chordy is a great scavenger. Rebuilding him could allow us to find more construct parts easier.

(The comma between “scavenger” and “rebuilding” should either be a semicolon or a period with the following letter (“R”) capitalized. These are two complete thoughts that should be separated as such, in order to avoid a run-on sentence.)

(I’ve actually noticed quite a few quests in Shadowlands with run-on sentences that use a comma where there should be a period or a semicolon. I just don’t have the patience to note each of them here as I come across them, lol.)

Edit:
Found another one as I turned in the exact same quest, lmao…
Quest: Build-A-Bomination
Error:

We were successful, Chordy is whole again!

Correction:

We were successful: Chordy is whole again!

(Again, these are two thoughts that should be punctuated as such. I think a colon would be most fitting here, but a semicolon or a period would also be correct.)

Edit: The follow-up quest directly after this one also starts with one of these…

Quest: May I Take Your Order?
Error:

Chordy is just the first success, there will be many more!

Correction:

Chordy is just the first success: there will be many more!

Edit: Another user made a comment that a colon would not be appropriate here. I believe it is, though I do also agree that a semicolon is likely more fitting in this scenario. As such, another option for a correction is:

Chordy is just the first success; there will be many more!

This is the last time I’m updating this, even if (when?) I find another one directly after this…

1 Like

Achievement: Completing the Code
Error 1:

Using the Containment Trap. Retrieve research data from the following creatures.

Correction 1:

Using the Containment Trap, retrieve research data from the following creatures.

(The period between “trap” and “retrieve” should be a comma, with the “R” in “retrieve” made lowercase as a result.)

Error 2:

-Runegorged Bufnoid

Correction 2:

-Runegorged Bufonid

(“Bufnoid” is spelled incorrectly. It’s supposed to be spelled “Bufonid”. Though “Bufenoid” sounds hilarious and actually equally robotic.)

1 Like

A colon wouldn’t be correct, because the following phrase doesn’t explain or illustrate the first.

A comma would be acceptable if they added but after it.

Chordy is just the first success, but there will be many more!

A semicolon would be the best choice.

Chordy is just the first success; there will be many more!

In Sepulcher of the First Ones, there is an npc with a typo in its name.

Thieveing Agent - NPC - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)

Thieveing Agent

should be

Thieving Agent

(without the second e).

Doesn’t it though? The sentiment is that “There will be many more successes, of which Chordy is the first.” I’d think a colon would be acceptable, though I agree a semicolon would probably be the most fitting and least awkward.

Items: Dimensional Oracular Wrists and Oracular Wrists
Zone: Zereth Mortis
Error:

Activate the dimensional translators to cross a great distance in outdoor Shadowlands zones.

Correction:

Activate the dimensional translocators to cross a great distance in outdoor Shadowlands zones.

(“Translators” should be “translocators”, I would think. I could be wrong, of course, but I find it hard to believe the intended word to use here was actually “translator”.)

NPC: Ravenomous
Error: (upon spawning, Ravenomous emotes the following zone-wide)

Ravenomous yells: Who has left me so many juicy spiderling corpses!

Correction:

Ravenomous yells: Who has left me so many juicy spiderling corpses?

(The exclamation point should be a question mark, seeing as the first word is “Who”, thus the phrase is a question.)

NPC: Thieveing Agent

The correct spelling is “thieving”.

Location: Chamber of First Reflection, Aspirant’s Crucible, Bastion, Shadowlands
Quest: the instance during the Zereth Mortis storyline quest Where the Memory Resides

(multiple errors across NPCs in this area/instance)

NPC: Highlord Darion Mograine
Error:

We stand together in strength. Our suffering will be for the good all.

Correction:

We stand together in strength. Our suffering will be for the good of all.

(There should be an “of” between “good” and “all”.)

NPC: Anduin Wrynn
Error:

There is a shadow upon my mind. Like a cold hand whose fingers curl ever so softly around your heart.

Correction:

There is a shadow upon my mind. Like a cold hand whose fingers curl ever so softly around my heart.

(This one’s an odd one that I’m not 100% sure about, even after trying to find definitive answers on Google. Upon first reading it, I thought it sounded odd: He talks about “my mind” but then immediately switches to “your heart”. If it’s incorrect, it’s because of an unnecessary shift in person: “Unless the meaning of a sentence clearly requires a change, person should be kept consistent within a sentence.” Except this is two sentences… so I’m not sure about this one. I personally think it would sound much clearer if the sentences were both in the first person, but I don’t know that this shift is technically incorrect.)

Quest: What We Wish to Forget
NPC: Highlord Bolvar Fordragon
Error 1:

While the language of the Progenitors will aid us, there is another trait that will help break Domination’s hold on us.
An
indomitable will.

Correction 1:

While the language of the Progenitors will aid us, there is another trait that will help break Domination’s hold on us:
an
indomitable will.

(There should be a colon where the first period is, because “an indomitable will” is a fragmented sentence on its own. It is an additional piece of information adding to “there is another trait”. The “A” in “an” should then be made lowercase.)

Error 2: (upon turning in What We Wish to Forget)

I feel… lighter. But I cannot forget what has brought me to here, and what must still be done.

Correction 2:

I feel… lighter. But I cannot forget what has brought me here, and what must still be done.

(The “to” between “me” and “here” should be omitted. It’s rather awkward to say “bring it to here” or “brought me to here”. Native speakers simply say “bring it here” or “brought me here”. I’m not sure there’s an actual rule against saying “brought me to here”, but it certainly wouldn’t be idiomatic.)

1 Like

For the Zereth Mortis Enhancement Console power, “Resonant Rage”, https://www.wowhead.com/spell=367910/resonant-rage, the tooltip in-game reads:

When Pocopoc possesses a Coreless Vombata, it has a chance to cast an 8 sec sec Bloodlust on kill.

It has an extra “sec” in there. The correction should be:

When Pocopoc possesses a Coreless Vombata, it has a chance to cast an 8 sec Bloodlust on kill.

Once again, this is in-game, not just on wowhead.

Secrets of the First Ones campaign text, under “The Purpose”, the third word of the third paragraph is spelled “absense” when it should be “absence”

Item: The Grandmaster’s Voucher
Contained Within: Grandmaster Vole’s Extravagant Tribute
Scenario: The Ember Court when Grandmaster Vole is a guest, and his final mood is “Elated”
Error:

This voucher begrudedly verifies that the Grandmaster has lost a bet and intends to give the bearer the agreed sum.

Correction:

This voucher begrudgingly verifies that the Grandmaster has lost a bet and intends to give the bearer the agreed sum.

(“Begrudedly” looks to be a misspelling of “begrudgedly”; regardless, however, “begrudgedly” is not a word. The word is “begrudgingly”.)

Quest: Vole’s Voucher
Started by Using: The Grandmaster’s Voucher (detailed above)
Error:

<The voucher spells it all out, if you take the voucher to Au’narim at the Challenger’s Promenade outside the Theater of Pain in Maldraxxus he should dispense the funds to you from Grandmaster Vole’s credit.>

Correction:

<The voucher spells it all out. If you take the voucher to Au’narim at the Challenger’s Promenade outside the Theater of Pain in Maldraxxus, he should dispense the funds to you from Grandmaster Vole’s credit.>

(The original sentence was a massive run-on sentence. It should be split into two, or even three, separate sentences. If two sentences, then the split should be between “out” and “if”, separating the two clauses using a period and capitalization. Additionally, the two clauses after that first sentence should be split between “Maldraxxus” and “he”; however, a comma will suffice here.)

Quest: Anima Tastings
NPC: Hips, located above Sinfall in Revendreth, Shadowlands
Error:

Think about it: we–and by ‘we’ I mean ‘you’–bring back fresh anima from all the different realms you travel too.

Correction:

Think about it: we–and by ‘we’ I mean ‘you’–bring back fresh anima from all the different realms you travel to.

(“Too” is misspelled and should be spelled “to”. “Too” means “in excess”, while “to” means “toward”.)

Quest: If Even One Is Worthy
NPC: The Accuser
Error:

I have seen firsthand that worthy souls have been unjustly cast into Maw.

Correction:

I have seen firsthand that worthy souls have been unjustly cast into the Maw.

There should be a “the” between “into” and “Maw”, as the Maw has always been referred to as “The Maw” throughout the entire expansion.

Quest: The Catalyst Awakens

Description text, second paragraph

This power while change the world itself.

I believe they meant to say “will”, not “while”.

4 Likes

Item: Obedience/Unity (Rogue Venthyr legendary)

Text: In this item’s tooltip, the effect description uses the incorrect possessive form of “it.”

What it currently says:

What it should say:

it’s = it is
its = belonging to it

Quest: The Nathrezim

In the description text, The Stonewright says “…we are denied the ability forge a new sigil.”

It should say “…we are denied the ability to forge a new sigil.”

Typos & grammatical issues with Dragonflight mount descriptions:

Brown Scouting Ottuk (ID 1657): “Wiley” should be “Wily”. Also, “possess keen eyes that normally are always looking out for predators, but make them perfect scouts” is awkward, and would be better as something simpler, like: “have keen, watchful eyes that make them excellent scouts”.

Azure Skitterfly (ID 1616): “The azure skitterfly were a skittish lot” - it feels weird to make the singular plural here, especially when “skitterflies” is used later in the same description. “Azure Skitterflies are a skittish lot” is cleaner. Also, “have bonded extremely close to” should be “have bonded extremely closely to”. The description still feels a bit awkward, but that works out some of the kinks.

Tamed Skitterfly (ID 1615): Again, using “skitterfly” for the plural is a bit weird. “These darker skitterflies were the first” reads better.

Item: Depraved Houndmasster’s Grips
Item ID: 184215

I think it rather plain what the issue is here.

2 years later and this is not fixed :slight_smile:

Looking for the new Dragonflight Typo & Grammatical Error Megathread? Click Here!

1 Like