SHADOWLANDS: Ret needs some love

my two cents PVEwise:

1. Avenging Wrath
Without them we’re crap. And in SL, without Vision of Perfection, it’ll get worse, I guess.

2. Crusader Strike and Hammer of Wrath
Do we need both? Less wings means less HoW. Instead of a crappy filler and a situational af HoW, I would choose ONE GOOD CRUSADER STRIKE, that can even hit harder when enemies have less than 20% health. Less keybinds, more relevant.

3. Mobility
Def an issue. Divine Steed, flavourwise, is awesome. But it’s only viable with the 2 charges. And the CD? oh boy, that fat CD takes forever. A decent CD would be too much to ask? LAotL and PoJ are not coming back, my faith in the light is strong, but I don’t believe in miracles. Maybe tune Crusader Aura into a Trailblazer? Idk how to solve this, but it hurts to be a middle of the pack dps AND slow af.

4. Auras
Let’s not even talk about Retribution Aura. Right now, FOR SURE, it’s just a placeholder. FOR SURE, blizz will replace this. I have faith in the light. But, for now, let’s just pray brothers.

5. Shield of the Righteous?
If I wanna tank, I can go prot, thank you. As ret, I just need a decent DPS. We can taunt and heal already.

6. Consecration
Meh, idk about this one. Usefull… Sometimes… I guess.

7. Clunkiness
We know, Blizz knows… Cmon blizz show us some love.

9 Likes

Somehow ret is looking worse for shadowlands.

6 Likes

Consecration is an awful spell for us. It isn’t bad for prot because you control where the mobs go but for ret it is awful.

4 Likes

:frowning: But I like throwing a hammer at a fleeing low health target (PvP), so pls don’t take that away from me.

Rest I can more or less agree on.

9 Likes

Add Buff Blessings (Original Kings, Better Wisdom, Might, even Light)

Remove the cool down on Crusader Strike - baseline

Reduce the cool down on Divine Steed - baseline

2 Likes

1: More than just Ret is being affected by the loss of Vision of Perfection.

2: Crusader Strike has about half the attack power scaling that Hammer of Wrath does, and Crusader strike is physical damage making it subject to armor calculation. Hammer of Wrath is not.

3: Mobility isn’t meant to be ret’s strong suit. So far you’re asking for the execute to be buffed, wings to be buffed, and mobility to be bugged. You’re asking to full the role of rock, paper, and scissors all at once.

4: Retribution is most certainly only an aura that will be used if multiple paladins are in the group. If you have enough rets, may as well have one use ret aura for the extremely marginal damage.

5: See Ion Hazzikostas’s comment “Some people won’t put certain abilities on their bars, and that’s ok”. This is a byproduct of class unpruning.

6: I wouldn’t complain about blizzard putting something in to make use of those gcds when we dont have anything to use.

7: Clunkiness? Not sure what class you’re playing.

4 Likes

In terms of mobility, you can take either the Venthyr covenant or the Night Fae covenant and use their signature abilities for movement. Venthyr is probably the stronger one of the two. There may also be some movement abilities coming from the other systems (Soulbinds, Conduits, Legendaries).

I think mobility is a natural weakness of Ret, given the spec’s (and really the Paladin class’) history. But I also think Shadowlands is shaping up to be an expansion where traditionally immobile classes have much better movement options than usual.

Every melee class has an instant gap closer except ret.

9 Likes

I think DK have similar mobility issues. Death Grip isn’t always a workable option.

While I agree getting all of it buffed would be too much…current ret is flawed. You cant have no mobility and no burst outside a 2min window that lines up with every defensive.

Yea vision loss hurts everyone who uses it but I’d argue ret is more affected than any other spec both in pvp and pve. Vision minor literally gives the wheelchair a chance to burst before defensives are up which is your only threat. You cant neuter heals then put fluff utility and think having every go stopped by defensives and kiting is going to put it in a good place.

Pve wise outside of wings is the same story, so much so that nothing competes with vision major due to wings proc rng still being worth. Even unholy for example has other options with BotE in m+ for example and condensed for single target if I remember correctly.

Honestly all the hype for ret from players who dont actually play it in any meaningful way will be very short lived as things stand.

7 Likes

Give us a death grip but with holy chains! Think how cool it would be to ghost rider people with holy chain?! Frost mage got you RP walking ‘clank clank’ GET OVER HERE! I don’t know if this will solve anything but I was just thinking of the visual.

5 Likes

Eh I’d rather it not be too obvious a rip off. If ret was yo get a suedo deathgrip I’d rather it be like an angel swooping down and flinging them to you or something. More thematic and positioning would matter as it’d being them to location on cast which leaves counter play versus literal grip right to you as you move. Just my opinion.

How about a AOE that if the target is caught in it then he is brought back to you. While I think that an angel literally bringing the target to you would be cool, I feel like that is way to complex an animation for that, especially for WOW. Not saying they couldn’t do it more they wouldnt

Well I was thinking more in line with Ursol vortex. Location where you cast is where there sent. Animation is just superficial to make it look unique. But I’m no game designer so you might be right it might be too complex to code.

After seeing the animation of Final Verdict from WoD recently (and loving the big hammer that smashes your target from behind) I think a mid range spender (12yd) would go a long way for us. We can generate holy power mid/long range quite reliably but we have no way to spend it on fleeing targets.
That’s from a PvP perspective of course.

6 Likes

So I love our execute. I like that it has range. I would rather HoW be a real execute. Not what they have turned executes into. That being said CS needs a damage increase. I will see a rare crit where I hit for 20-30 k with cs but as it has been said in other threads it hits as hard as an auto attack it should do more than that.

3 Likes

I would prefer a leap or a charge. Most people will say warrior clones while shouting this down and others will say emancipation and long arm of the law to fix movement issues or that I want a I win button for pvp. But a leap like the crusader from d3. And I will point out every paladin npc has a leap but us as players do not.

But really I have been wanting this for prot paladins. I have tanked on my paladin and hate that I have to run into a group while using shield or use my one charge of steed to get to the group.

Now I do like your Idea of a holy version of death grip.

4 Likes

I would like for ret to get as a gap closer something similar to what Athena from Smite gets as a ult, or Doomfist’s ult from Overwatch, where we shoot up in the air and come crashing down on the target, and maybe do some small aoe holy damage. I think that would make a more unique gap closer.

4 Likes

You should look at the crusaders leap from d3.

1 Like

What about a 30% movement speed buff for 12 seconds, that you can recast up to 3 times in order to blink a short distance. 1.5 minute cooldown.