Shadowlands' NPCs no dialogue

All broken for me too. I was hoping to do the SL story lines I missed while I was away. Forget it. Small indie company.

What’s your specs? I’m playing WoW off a portable HD and a laptop. Thought the HD was the issue but it seems everyone is having the bug.

3 Likes

As several people have mentioned, the bug is not present on the beta of dragonfligh

Sad to say but I now believe they knew about the issue all along and made the decision not to fix the bug until dragonflight.

I think they consider this bug to be unimportant and a waste of time and money to fix it on Shadowland since the bug is not present on Dragonflight.

I think they decided not to fix the bug on shadowland from the beginning. They just don’t dare say that they made the decision to leave the game incomplete and buggy for a few months. This is the reason why we have almost no real communication on this major bug.

It’s better for blizzard to say nothing than to admit that they won’t do anything to fix the problem before the end of Shadowland.

4 Likes

That is extremely concerning, either way.

Quests are a CORE content of the game, and if Blizzard is okay with quests being broken for months straight, that would be a massive red flag of how their game development became lazy and lackluster in quality.

4 Likes

I for one completely lost interesting in DF. For sure won’t be buying it anytime soon… The Pre-patch is schedule for october 25, maybe, so I wouldn’t count on any update before that…

EDIT:

They just confirmed Oct 25 as the pre-patch date… so it’s unlikely they will do any fix ( or even acknowledge anything) before that, even if some big name start to talk about it… right now, the only option is wait… But i’m not trying to discourage people from complain, far from it… keep the topic alive!

4 Likes

Two weeks since this last update and no mention of how the workaround doesn’t actually work? More than two months of this bug breaking most of the major story quests of the last three expansions and no ETA on a fix?

Incredible.

4 Likes

I swear this is the equivalent of…"Now you go on this epic journey. It is full of perils. The one thing you must absolutely not do to avoid the pain of a thousand deaths is

Go now, I pray that you are able to survive."

7 Likes

Ok, so I was having this issue as well. I scrolled through this thread and did the turn off error speech and toggle dialog off and on. At the same time, on a whim I also went into the Network settings and turned off IPv6 and Optimize Network for Speed. Now the chat bubbles always trigger. Sometimes a dialog will lag behind when the chat bubble shows up. If an NPCs next dialog starts before the previous one finishes, the first one will get cut off. Not ideal, but better than missing almost everything. I’m not sure if the Network settings actually changed anything, but I figured I would mention it incase others wanted to test it.

1 Like

Maybe it’s the connection setting, actually. Already tried the other settings and none worked. Can anyone else confirm it?

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Add me to the list of folks affected. I was very excited to use the Winds of Wisdom buff to level some alts through SL…and the questing is crazy broken by this bug. Maw experience was missing big chunks of dialogue and it continued right into Oribos. So now I guess I just miss out on the buff. I don’t want to level like this!

Any update, Blizz? Will this get fixed with prepatch? This is NOT a minor bug and it’s sad to see so little attention paid here. :frowning:

8 Likes

I’m back. I just decided to give this another chance and the first quest I turned in was broken. Highlord Bolvar just stood there. It took so long that I almost walked out even though I knew it was probably just broken dialog. Sure enough the stupid floating person, who I care zero about because I have no idea what they’re saying/doing, says that the place (whatever place he was talking about) is super bad.
Then more silence. Now there’s an exclamation point above Bolvar’s head like I’m supposed to want to click on it but I’d rather do just about anything else.

Hey Blizzard: I purchased this game because of your advertising. Your game does not work. I have a screen shot of your representative stating in writing that you’re not going to try to fix this because it’s “not a priority”. Are you REALLY sure that’s the image you want to put out there?

10 Likes

Straight absurd and concerning that Blizzard representatives saying this bug is not a priority when it is breaking a CORE element of WoW: questing. And it is broken on multiple expansions as well.

Also, this thread is more than enough proof of the amount of players and traction involved around that bug.

Blizzard used to be known for their polished games…

5 Likes

I’ve started hitting people up in general chat to start complaining. I can’t think of anything else to do. Please do the same.

FYI there’s a link in the messages above to an Asmongold video where he compares the number of parses in classic to the number of people in retail. There’s like 100x more people in classic. I probably should’ve played that.

4 Likes

Is there any way to fix the missing dialogue problem? It makes it hard to follow the story.

5 Likes

No workaround working in any way, shape or form. We have to wait for a patch, unfortunately. We’ve been waiting for more than 2 months now.

4 Likes

Returning player as well… started noticing the missing dialog after a couple hours of play … not a deal breaker until reaching the actual Shadowlands content … now? Not hearing any of the actual story - maddening/frustrating/disappointing to say the least. Think I’ll likely cancel my sub and NOT purchase the new xpac, if this is how Blizz is pushing out content now :frowning:

6 Likes

Glad to know I’m not the only one (thought that some add-on or configuration was the cause) but angry because it has been an awful amount of time and no fix has been issued. Any play with alts is seriously affected, both in BA and SL, specially if you wnat to follow the story. I know all resources are put on Dragonflight, but this is an important issue and lots of players are not too happy with it.

7 Likes

Honestly the only thing to do is to blow up chat in game. Start hitting up general chat and ask people to post on these threads. Maybe a content creator will find it funny enough to make a vid about it. It is objectively funny after all. Blizzard broke their game for 3 months and figured no one would notice.

8 Likes

I had put in a ticket during the summer about this and just earlier this week did the intro Boralus stuff and no voice from Cyrus still. There are other NPCs I’ve encountered this with too.

5 Likes

Adding my voice to this thread. I returned to play through Shadowlands to catch up on the story I missed before Dragonflight releases, and I don’t know what’s going on half the time due to missing important dialogue. The work around isn’t working either

6 Likes

Can’t believe they haven’t fixed that yet. I watched a couple people play WoW for the first time and I’m getting second hand embarassment from how broken the dialogue is right now.

7 Likes