Shadowlands Hunter class changes

A perfect summary of changes to the class in general, going into SL. Not just for ArS.

Some changes are for the better, sure. But so many are for much, meaningless(at the very least, unhelpful additions).

Agreed.

• Distracting Shot, interacting with Misdirection. Baseline.

• Aspect of the Fox, WoD-edition. Baseline.

• Pets which previously had an offensive dispel should now have a defensive one, removing harmful magical effects from a target.

• Masters Call, baseline.

• Camouflage/Posthaste, baseline.

For BM:

• Animal Companion as a baseline passive choice(like what was done to Lone Wolf for MM)

• Dire Beast returned to how it worked/replaced Barbed Shot(DF) in Legion.

These are all changes I would much rather see returned/done to the class, compared to things like Hunter’s Mark, Steady Shot, Arcane Shot.

Yep.

8 Likes

So good :joy::joy:

3 Likes

I really don’t understand why BM has access to AS. This is a wasted unpruning. They really should have unpruned Aspect of the Daze, Aspect of the Fox, Aspect of the Monkey. I can see why Aspect of the Cheetah was changed since melee have a near 100% uptime design now, but i wish we still had it for convenience and then our 3 minute cd sprint.

3 Likes

Our weaker version of sprint with a cd 3 times longer…

They should have just removed daze from cheetah and called it a day.

I mean atleast you can use the ability. Survival can’t use it, or if they do use it they lock themselves out of most of the min abilites

Well, this year has been one massive letdown after another, so I’m pretty much resigned to Blizzard failing at hunter yet again. Hell, I think this is how RSV survived for as long as it did: nobody could make a decent spec after Ghostcrawler, and nobody wanted to fix what wasn’t broken.

Anyway, being pessimistic and resigning myself to shoehorned into BM yet for another two years is a lot easier (and far more realistic) than giving myself any hope that they’re going to do things right for MM and SV.

1 Like

I like current MM more than Legion’s, so I think it was in the best shape going into Shadowlands and only needed iteration- last week’s changes being okay, some issues still to be resolved (Hunter’s Mark, Trueshot). I can live with this spec, is what I’m saying.
Yet, after a break and coming back to this patch, working my way through Visions and just today completing my first two-mask- I caught myself thinking how much easier and FUN 5.3 Survival would be for this. We were once a great class, now it’s waiting and praying just to be a decent class.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I hated MM in Legion. Hated it so much I stopped playing my hunter altogether. That said… best shape it is not. Granted it’s better than Legion MM imo, but that’s a really low bar to beat.

You are correct, there are still issues for them to work out with MM.

So far every change for MM so far has been negative.

master marksman going away breaks the rotation, the new effect doesnt mesh well with the themes of the spec, same as the other two options on the first talent row. now they’re all undesirable but the new master marksman will still be superior because it requires no thought

Careful Aim change doesnt add enough to compensate for the loss of execute phase damage, Kill shot is also not impactful enough to warrant the removal of the only ability that allowed marksman to even pretend to compete in damage throughout BFA

the entire level 35 talent row is another case of picking the least worst option, much like the first row, streamline change should have just increased the channel speed, chimera shot replacing arcane shot doesn’t feel great either

Dead Eye is only usable with the venthyr covenant ability

Volley doesn’t last long enough when it competes with Calling the Shots

I think the new MaMa fits the theme of the speck really well however the focus regen loss is indeed bad

Don’t let Ion off the hook with one year.

For me it started for me 7/19/2016 when Legion pre-patch hit. Hunters have been messed up ever since. They keep promising the fix: Revert Spec Identity; The Great Unpruning. The Hunter class devs must have missed all those memos, because they haven’t changed course at all. Giving us Hunter’s Mark and a couple class-wide abilities (ironically only useful to some specs) doesn’t do either of those things. The changes just emphasize that they haven’t actually fixed any of their mistakes.

5 Likes

I mean, this is the year everything seemed to flow down the crapper. I’m just not going to be surprised or even disappointed when Blizzard falls short of delivering on hunter this time around.

Like they already have? They’ve already announced the xpac release date meaning they’re not going to be making anymore serious updates to classes. It’s going to be bug fixes and tuning for the next 2 months.

I can agree on that date.

Nothing about the class have felt as thematically fun/appealing as how RSV played and how you embraced the fantasy of a munitions expert and a trapper(as portrayed in WoW).

Since then, as far as BM goes at least, the one thing they had going for them was that the spec had a very strong set of core elements that defined your prefered playstyle. Here, I’m speaking only of the choice we had between using Dire Frenzy or Dire Beast.

Even so today, with Barbed Shot, it would still be one of the best designed elements when it comes to distinguishing playstyle choices within a single spec, while still keeping with the central theme of a beastmaster. Allowing you as a player to opt for the interaction between you and your sole companion, or become the one who had the ability to command a hoard of wild beasts to overwhelm the target.

But for some reason still unknown, they removed that choice going into BfA

Agreed.

3 Likes

they did that, its called trailblazer

Uh… no. Cheetah baseline and was something you had to actively turn on and could be used while attacking. Trailblazer is something that you have to talent into and any attack turns it off, making it useful really only for speed running.

1 Like

that is true, however cheeta functionally is the same as trailblazer… it was an apsect you used when not in combat. Yes you have to talent it, but its a tier where it really doesnt matter what you picl.

So shouldn’t the problem be less about the talent and more about the barren tier?

Except you ignored one giant fundamental difference that I pointed out. Cheetah didn’t turn off when you attacked or even if you were attacked. I wouldn’t have cared if they removed the daze but made cheetah a talent, instead they gave us talent that is just as bad, arguably worse than aspect of the daze.

it did with the glyph which everyone ran to not get dazed

2 Likes