Shadowlands has strong Horde Potential

Truly, the Horde are arrows in their writing quiver.

9 Likes

I see it as WoW continuing its nosedive in quality by doing this.

I meant in the literal “go back in time and stop the burning” sense. Basically I’m saying, no, they can’t make up for their sins. This is something they can’t fix.

Oh I completely agree. I think they should all commit ritualistic suicide outside the gates of Orgrimmar. I headcanon that my orc (after SoO) and blood elf (after WoT) offed themselves.

1 Like

I think a story could be done. If done well enough it could repair things within the fanbase. But it would have to be done right by the Alliance players (particularly the Night Elf fans) without being demeaning to the horde fans.

But the thing I think would work the best is at once the thing that requires the least amount of work but will be impossible to pull off: A honest apology from the Devs.

I am sure they had grand plans for what the Burning of Teldrassil would be (I am guessing something along the lines of GoT Red Wedding) but it didn’t play out like they expected and now they have a damaged, fractured fanbase that hates each other. I assume (which could be a mistake on my part) that they thought the anger would playout and bleed out in battlegrounds and warmode.

I think the opposite happened, the people that didn’t PVP to begin with still didn’t PVP and took to lashing out at other players in other ways. Online environments turned toxic and players left.

12 Likes

I mentioned it before, but outside of Vol’jin 
 who seems be getting built up as some sort of Loa 
 any character from he past we encounter in the Shadowlands should be used solely for the development of still living characters. The development of these dead characters is honestly fairly irrelevant. For example, my top three for the Horde 
 as unlikely as they are are 

• Benedictus for Lillian.
  • Kael’thas for Rommath.
  • Huln Highmountain for Mayla.

These are all three deceased characters that have immense emotional weight, good or bad, to their surviving counterparts who still have a role to play in the future of Warcraft and Azeroth. They can push their development into overdrive if used right 
 while also serving as the blast from the past they are. But 
 it is unlikely that Blizz will see these deceased characters this way; and will instead use them as a cheap gimmick to bank on nastalgia.

8 Likes

I’m sure they didn’t like it. The issue here is that the Sundering was a unfortunate side effect of the legion’s arrival through the well of which a infinitesimal proportion of that population was responsible for. No one spoke out against this war that Sylvanas started, not even after Teldrassil. At least the Night Elves had the guts to stand up to their leader and fight to over throw her and her demon army, the Horde didn’t.

And if you really want to assign the blame for the sundering put it in the correct place. Those responsible are Azshara, Xavius, and the NE/first generation of High Elves. They are the ones that misused the well and summoned the legion.

3 Likes

If Blizzard decided to make Major Alliance Leaders like Shaw and others agents of the Jailer and complicate in Sylvanas’s plot how would the Alliance Players react? Would it shatter their claims to righteousness?

If Blizzard decided to take Il’gynoth’s hint “The vassal of life disguises treachery. Beware the eyes of green.” to mean that Malfurion(who has Green Eyes) had agents in place to accelerate(or if he killed Sylvanas: cause themselves) Sylvanas’s burning of Teldrassil in the name of the Jailer how would the Players react?

1 Like

The Vassal of Life is likely referring to Freya, who also has Green Eyes. Blizz wouldn’t dare let an Alliance character do something untoward after all. They are all paragons of peerless virtue. Can’t tarnish that rep for even a moment. Its the same reason that whenever the Alliance does anything even slightly questionable, Blizz explains, validates, and justifies it to extremes 
 but cannot be bothered to do it for the Horde. Since 
 after all 
 the Horde is just a plot device; not an actual faction who’s identity deserves anything more than lip service. Fancy, expensive lip service in the form of those amazing Saurfang cinematics 
 but no less lip service.

18 Likes

No offense but WoW isn’t a story that upholds that mentality. It’s comic book writing at best. Dead characters will come back.

That doesn’t mean I have to be enthusiastic about it.

Saurfang did speak out. He actualy gave her a big chewing out after the burning of Teldrassil. The next time we see him, he’s about to commit suicide over it.

The others? Well none of them were actually present and we don’t get to see any of their reactions to it. Baine looking sad at Undercity was all anyone got- up until they all started turning on Sylvanas.

It’s kind of funny how true this is. I agree with the general sentiment here that the likelihood of them writing their way out of this bind is extremely slim.

They’ve created a bit too much of an echo chamber for themselves for that it seems.

5 Likes

Archbishop Benedictus was evil
 So was Bishop Arthur in Legion

BfA was the only instance where Blizzard tried to make the Alliance characters squeaky clean and the Allied Race Kul Tirans had 3 villain before joining named Lady Ashvane, Lady Waycrest and Lord Stormsong.

Ashvane and Stormsong served Azshara who struck a bargain with Sylvanas who allied with the Jailer and Lady Waycrest serves Gorak Tul who claims that Death consumes all hinting at a relation to the Jailer. That’s 3 Kul Tiran leaders aligned with the goals of the Jailer!

1 Like

Archishup Benedictus was an Alliance traitor and mole for the Twilight Hammer. Arthur was just shifty, but nothing really amounted from his Benedictus worshiping nonsense. Ashvane, Waycrest, and Stormsong were all obstacles to the Kul Tirans rejoining the Alliance; they also were not Alliance. Staghelm went mad and created a Druidic Fire Cult. Arthas went mad and wiped out entire civilizations. Azshara went mad and it took blowing up 80 percent of the world’s landmass to stop her. The Eradar went mad, and wiped out entire planets. Every single one of these groups or individuals were opposed to their Alliance counterparts.

Again, the actual Alliance Faction is always portrayed as squeaky clean. There are members of Alliance races that are portrayed as malevolent, but Blizz almost always distances them from the Alliance themselves; their equivalent races that are on the Alliance; or downright makes them antagonistic to the Alliance. They are wrong, the Alliance is right. The Kaldorei do not share guilt for Azshara. The Draenei do not share guilt for the Eradar. The Humans, despite Anduin’s nonsense, do not share guilt for Benedictus or Arthas. Blizz does this deliberately for each and every Alliance Race, but never does with with the Horde.

14 Likes

It’s also kind of the opposite of the way this stuff works. It’s almost unheard of for a studio come out and say, “Yeah, X installment sucked. We’re sorry.”

No, you keep on moving. Quietly sweep the missteps under the table without so much as a comment. Forge ahead with new plans and hype up the next issue/episode/patch/film in the franchise.

1 Like

It’s not what I want people to feel. I’m asking whether anything can change how they feel now. I feel like some Alliance players (not necessarily Kaileena specifically) are going to harp on until the end of time about how the Horde hasn’t redeemed itself, without realizing that there is no way for the Horde to redeem itself in their eyes.

That’s kind of Brennadam all over again. :-\

I don’t really follow thie distinction you’re making. The two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

Define “villainness [sic] things.” Is killing Alliance always villainous?

Would it matter if we could? Wouldn’t you still hold it over our heads that history ever happened in the first place, even if it was changed later?

Well, at least you’re honest about it.

Did Lillian ever even meet Benedictus when she was alive? I would think her father would be a meatier story choice.

2 Likes

Yeah. It’s definitely not a perfect solution. Perhaps an optional questline for the Horde, so the Horde player could participate it or ignore it however they wished?

I do think that this situation -needs- to be resolved, though, and I think this is the simplest way to do so.

Her Father’s name is Benedictus Voss. High Priest of the Scarlet Crusade.