Shadowlands has strong Horde Potential

I don’t know why you’re paying attention to the story at all any more if that’s taken so much for your focus from anything else that can be told in the game then, though. Nothing you said is going to be undone in any meaningful way.

It almost felt like they were worried about the reception Saurfang was getting for being complicit in Teldrassil and then trying to be the face of the Honor Horde.

If I recall correctly this tanking of Liadrin’s character coincided with the controversial actions taken by Baine.

(And the system did not alert me to the response as normal. So something is up.)

Why do you think most of my posts tend to be bitter snark?

3 Likes

I think I feel similarly to you. I just can’t really enjoy the Horde anymore because BfA killed most of what little credibility and charm it had left after MoP. I still like playing Alliance but, at the same time, a big part of my love for Warcraft was having two separate factions that I find equally likeable even when they’re at odds with each other at times.

At this point, I’m probably going to go back to being unsubbed until SL or later. It’s too early to tell because there isn’t a lot of information about it yet but I don’t feel particularly inclined to buy SL atm.

19 Likes

To be fair, I simply said “loyalists” and people who value Sylvanas above the faction. I avoided hurling accusations and labels at you because it’s not really my place.

We already have our hands full with Ëlësåna for posts that only focus on things they didn’t like, though. At some point it’s not really contributing to things around here.

4 Likes

Horde players are so obsessed with power levels for a game where it’s so meaningless

Well, it’s not like BFA has anything positive to talk about.

4 Likes

But this thread is about Shadowlands, not BfA.

There’s really very little to talk about regarding Shadowlands, though.

15 Likes

And some of what there is to talk about with Shadowlands just piles on the BFA mess (All souls going to the Maw for example).

4 Likes

The Problem with Shadowlands is that if the overhanging plot points from BFA aren’t resolved they will overhang the next expac and sour everything going into the next story.

Both the Alliance and Horde need some proper closure to this expac that hasn’t been given. As much as blizzard wants to just move away from it they need to still close off this story in a meaningful way that satisfies they player base.

As far as I can tell Players could care less about N’zoth and that story simply cause they are looking for a better resolution to the war.

The Alliance needs to get rid of Anduin as him holding back the Alliance hurts our whole story. We will never be a believable threat to the Horde with him in charge. Nor will they write Anduin as doing anything bad to the Horde. Then they need to Show the Alliance win back its lands in game with a quest chain and phasing.

The Horde needs to show how this council works and start focusing on developing characters to step up and take on new roles. They also need to show the horde dealing with this new Alliance aggression while also not being the aggressive faction.

4 Likes

And here in lies the problem. Even if redemption was eventually attainable, Blizz is unlikely to give the Horde the opportunity to achieve it. And yeah, redemption is a BIG “if” for the faction. Rather, they’ll take the easy way out and just state we’ve been redeemed … because throughout the last 10 or so years of WoW … the Blizz writing team really does not like building up the Red Faction. They appear to like writing the Horde as a plot device for contentious stories.

A council system is a great way to send the Horde on a more positive course, at least with the setting we find ourselves in now. All the better is that the reps on said apparent council are conceptually great; even several of them need some serious work to portray them as viable racial leaders. However, the ironic part here is that a Council Arguably takes more work to actually develop and use right than a Warchief; and Blizz has a massive history of not even being able to write the latter right! How can we expect them to capitalize on a Horde Council system … when it takes more effort to write even slightly correctly than a single Horde leader?

2 Likes

A council was never necessary to make the horde a better faction, and it wouldn’t stop Blizzard if they wanted to make the horde the aggressors anyway. I don’t believe the council will actually improve anything.

14 Likes

so… since there really is much left to talk about that wasn’t already talked x100 times.

Allow me to expres my disgust for these dumb writters who all should lose their job and i hope that they someday apology for their insults to our intelligence.

oh! and i can’t wait to see kael !

4 Likes

Of course not, but the members that currently comprise it are all conceptually stabilizing factors. But, you’re ultimately right. There was nothing wrong with the Warchief system until Blizz made it wrong. There is no guarantee that they wont just get board with the status quo again eventually, and pull another MoP or BfA … Council or no.

But … at least personally … I thematically like a Council System better for the faction with how truly diverse its become. There are a lot of variety in the peoples and cultures of the Horde, and the Warchief came to represent all of them less and less effectively. Just something about a Council mixed with the included ARs brings a nice bit of balance to the Faction that wasn’t necessarily there before. The focus feels more on the individual races being independent parts of the whole; rather than the WC3 Horde races with the others stapled loosely on.

3 Likes

He is a giant tentacled distraction.

For all his plots and schemes, his cryptic riddles about Sylvanas and her own plot, and the millennia long escape plan from his prison, all he is just a tool for Sylvanas to distract the Alliance and Horde away from her while she goes for Bolvar and the helm of domination.

8 Likes

Hell, Ogmot was a more reliable narrator than friggen N’Zoth. That half brain dead Ogre cultist had more insight into the future than even an Old God. With how accurate his visions on Pg 2 and Pg 4 were in his dream journal; I wouldn’t be shocked if Pg 5 ends up happening in 8.3.5 or something… They guy literally told the whole damned story of BfA in about 5 paragraphs.

2 Likes

Indeed, it all feels wasted considering he has been built up as a protagonist since Cata yet is horribly overshadowed by Sylvanas and the war in general.

Yes, Council systems do seem to be more interesting and allows for more even development across the faction. It’s why I hate the high king more than ever as its just an excuse for Blizzard to be lazy with their writing.

4 Likes

I don’t. The warchief position didn’t need to be a conglomeration of all of the different races. On a meta-game level, I think it’s just a representation of the horde’s army. Just like a council won’t actually stop anything, the warchief spot never stopped Blizzard from making the faction look more inclusive. It was all a matter of whether or not the devs wanted to meld them together.

7 Likes