Shadowlands expansion free with purchase of a RX 5000 series card

Went back today and got another RX 5700 XT, a gift for my brother since hes been using a R9 270 for who knows how long

this time I bought him a PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT version since Microcenter sold out of Sapphires

2nd key was sent to me by email as expected

his setup: ryzen 5 2600, 16 GB cas 16 3000, b450 asrock steel legend

kept insisting the r9 270 was fine when he bought the parts last year, but until today I decided to buy him this card

upon launching WoW, going around in Nazjatar, this thing NEVER reaches 60C at automatic settings, the fan never once turn on since they spin once it reaches 60C

Not even killing the world boss at Nazjatar this has yet to spin, at 7 settings with no changes, it has gotten maybe to like 58C the most, but never 70c+

slightly less clock speed vs my sapphire one, but it can take heat like a champion, little better than my sapphire that for sure, also twice the thickness

if anything imo, Nitro+ before Red Devil

Heā€™ll enjoy this card when he plays VR games thats for sure

The GPU core temp isnā€™t the issue; itā€™s the Hotspot and Memory temperatures.

Make sure youā€™re monitoring those.

Keep memory edge temp under 85 and hotspot under 110 and you should be okay.

Most 5700xts I see have perfectly fine GPU temperature, but very high hotspot and memory.

My RAWII rarely ever goes above 65c on the core, and on the default fan curve, the fans wonā€™t even go until hotspot hits 100.

Spoke to several others with various cards and they mostly experience the same results.

With my undervolt and fan curve, these metrics stay under 85/95 and the core under 70 generally. Itā€™s loud, but probably better for the card.

Howā€™s the nitro treating you. I got the same one for 440 after california tax and it gets pretty loud pass 50%.

The fans sapphire uses though. Pretty powerful, with it crank up to 60% i can feel the air coming out of the case. Currently have it in an NCase V6.1 and with the gpu fans running at full blast, I get a face full of hot air.

1 Like

I still like it so far, I prefer the cooling on the Red Devil though, I can put a lower fan curve on that and I can barely hear it vs the sapphire

even though the Red Devil is slightly slower, I wish I could have Red Devil heatsink on the sapphire, would been the perfect combo

think it also helps since I swapped to a new case

None of the factory OCs really matter at all.

You pretty much are rolling the dice either way to silicon lottery - cooling and noise are the only real difference that you can be sure of.

Maybe the PCBs might be a bit different but as long as they at least use reference level PCB (which is quite good for the Navi cards) itā€™s not really a big deal and all generally have the same capacity (lottery).

You are doing all of these cards a disservice by not manually tuning their frequency, memory, voltage, and fan curve. And at that point theyā€™re all effectively the same, minus noise and heat.

All that said, when 3000 series launches Iā€™ll probably get the 3070 which if rumors are true, sold be similar to 2080 ti level plus quality RTX.

And then give this 5700 xt to my son

If I had this gpu in an ATX build I would have pushed it a bit, sadly I value noise + the sff case can only do so much. I usually undervolt and tune the fan curve to my liking.

Though ive been considering deshrouding it and using 120mm fans.

You can still get some good results from an undervolt and underclock.

Out of the box, mine had a P3 state of 2124mhz and 1198v. Average gaming frequency was around 1950-2000mhz, but it was quite hot.

I have two settings.

One is my performance setting for benchmarks and playing bigger games. I changed P3 to 2100mhz and 1125mv, ramped up fan speed, +20% power limit, and VRAM to 1800mhz. It runs pretty hot on full load, around 75c on the GPU, 80c on the VRAM VRM, and up to 100C on the hotspot. I use this setting when I play Doom Eternal, RDR2, etc.

Second is my general use setting specifically for WoW and other MMOs that tend to run all damn day. P3 to 1900mhz and 1050mv, enhanced (but not super ramped up) fan speed, factory power limit, VRAM factory. It runs a little bit cooler but quieter, and since I enable a 120fps limit and play on 1440p at 7 in WoW, it stays under 80% utilization for the most part pretty quiet and I feel preserves the card since I play these games so long.

I actually did a test comparing the first and second settings in a more demanding game (SotTR) and there was maybe a 3-4% difference in performance. Nothing huge. But sound and temps were enormous.

These cards, much like the Ryzen CPUs, donā€™t really seem to OC too well or meaningfully or efficiently. But undervolting/etc can help in other ways without impacting performance too much.

Eh, I think Iā€™d rather stick to nvidiaā€™s cards until AMD finishes working out all the kinks with their GPUā€™s. Iā€™ll stick with my RTX 2070 super for now lol.

Well aware of that, I havenā€™t found a need to go about to fine tune the 5700xt I have. Cooling hasnā€™t been the issue, just had to control the fan curve. It kinda skyrockets after a certain temp.

1 Like

Used this to get the expansion and other game for $13 out of pocketā€¦ (didnā€™t keep the card just temporary). Which was good I havenā€™t been wanting to spend money on wow since all the incidents earlier in the year. Unfortunately Iā€™m almost out of gold if I want to play much of the new expansion Iā€™ll have to do some sub.

I got a new 5700 xt a while ago. It came with Shadowlands and a game called godfall.

I registered with AMD as soon as I got it, but I have yet to receive my game codes. Dunno if anyone else is having that issue.

How are you liking the new card? I upgraded to the RTX 2070 and itā€™s been great paired with my R5 3600.

I donā€™t know if the pandemic is effecting the processing time, but it canā€™t help to email their support team.

Itā€™s ok? I built a new AMD system and I was using my old 1070 card. Was going to wait for ampere to come out but I couldnā€™t pass up the price plus the shadowlands givaway. Itā€™s only about 15-20% better in the benchmarks overall.

Iā€™ve emailed them a few times. I just get the canned e-mail.

Interesting that you come up with that number, because if you look at the raw numbers here (as imperfect of a source as this is) - there is about a 20% difference between the performance:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Radeon RX 5700 XT - 16,676
GeForce GTX 1070 - 13,323

Theyā€™re both good cards - and with the codes you probably got a really good deal. Did you sell the 1070 or put it in another build? (or maybe kept it for a backup)

5700xt is much stronger than a 1070 generally, and on newer games even matches a 2080 sometimes.

Those are synthetics - in real games thereā€™s usually around a 40% difference

Yes, thatā€™s why I found his numbers interestingā€¦ Coincidence?

API, game optimizations, and architecture I guess.

Look at horizon zero dawn

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/horizon-zero-dawn-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/4.html

5700xt ~58% faster

Quite a difference.

Interesting how my 2070 holds its own at 1440 ā€¦ I got this rig so cheap Iā€™m still shaking my head 9 months later ā€¦

Some cards were good buys.

I feel bad for my buddy who upgraded his 7600k/GTX 970 to a Ryzen 7 3700x/RTX 2080 last year specifically for Cyberpunk 2077 only to have it delayed so long that his CPU and GPU became outdated before it released lol