Shadowlands > Dragonflight

By “universally hated” he means in the sphere of reddit and youtube where people are quick to parrot whatever the collective opinion is.

Many people enjoyed Shadowlands, and it did sell much better than Dragonflight, hence all the new promotions they are doing

6 Likes

Shadowlands also had no regular flying at this point. For even longer really. So its weird that something that was worse in Shadowlands made you quit in Dragonflight…yet Shadowlands was better?

5 Likes

Ill defend Shadowlands more than anyone else, but saying its better than DF is laughably false. All the stuff you talk about was basically openly complained about and affected play from the word “Go.” On top of this, a cosmic based story that was terrible combined with the endless 9.0 patch served to kill that expansion.

4 Likes

The good things about Shadowlands are the same as every other expansion:

• Atmosphere
  • Art
  • Music
7 Likes

Hello, I see you posted a thread about expansions. Haha, I disagree! While it’s true Dragonflight is pretty bland and uninteresting, Shadowlands was just plain awful in every way imaginable!

What I do find funny is that in other threads, and eventually this one, you will start to see people that openly defended Shadowlands saying how good it was, posting how bad Shadowlands was while praising Dragonflight, haha!

Thanks for your post and have a great day!

3 Likes

Hardest disagree ever.
Shadowlands was absolutely awful. Dragonflight is the first expansion I’ve truly enjoyed since legion.

8 Likes

I really don’t miss covenants and legendaries.

1 Like

Hell no.

Look, DF ain’t even close to being an expansion I find enjoyable but like, if to me DF is a 5/10, SL was easily a 3 or less/10.

4 Likes

For sure there were many things they could have done better. But even with these flaws Shadowlands was a more exciting, interesting expansion

4 Likes

Failed systems doesnt make an expansion exciting or interesting. It makes it bad.

11 Likes

Can you be more specific? “systems” is one of those loaded words that people toss around because they heard it a lot

2 Likes

With dragon gliding they had the chance to appease many players who dislike it and release regular flying along with it or anytime until now being they are dragon their heels shows they are forcing dragon gliding on those who still don’t like it.

3 Likes

Disagree. Also the BFA cinematic story telling was way better, even if the story line itself was meh.

4 Likes

I know this is a troll post but i do actually miss shadowlands. The zones were pretty cool with revendreth and maldraxxus being standouts, i enjoyed the characters, the dungeons were all pretty fun with the only one i didn’t “like” being spires because it killed my potatoes fps to the point that i could barely do devos without staring at the floor, covenants added alot of unique mechanics that i don’t think any expansion has quite made as well, and torghast was a fun thing to knock out. Df is fun but i am missing running around maldraxxus doing abomination weeklies or participating in the player train that was korthia farming.

3 Likes

Sure.

Covenants failed because the main reason you had them (abilities) made players forced to pick them or else you were crippling your class in terms of damage/utility/healing/etc. This would be an easy solution if you could change covenants with ease, however - originally, there was a downside of changing covenants that locked you out unless you did some arbitrary grind; this making the system hard to swap. On top of this, renown did not carry over between covenants making so you had to grind out renown to even catch back up to other covenants (Making it harder to covenant swap without time put into it).

Maw simply sucked because it was a non-mountable zone that punished exploration with the Eye of the Jailer mechanic.

Torghast (and Legendaries) failed because it was the only way to get legendaries, making the content mandatory without much other reason to do it until Blizzard added the RNG chance to get a cosmetic piece in the shop at high levels (which wasnt until 9.1). Outside Twisting Corridors, there was very little option reason to do Torghast until Blizzard implemented optional cosmetics for players to do. On top of this, the Legendary system also required a crafted piece that was price gouged out like crazy.

Note: a lot of these things were fixed in later patches, but the initial damage they did on release combined with a Blizzard slow to repair - didnt really win favors for a lot of players.

5 Likes

No it wasn’t I’m usually one to take my time and experience all the story and do the side quests gave up on that half way through bastion and started begging for it to end already.

Clearly Shadowlands was your first and only expansion then cause they were not.

They were generic and boring.

Revendreth was boring, hideous and an insult to Gothic Architecture 0/10 should of burnt it down instead of Teldrassil.

No it really didn’t it executed a lot of absolutely awful ideas that should of never made it past the brainstorming session.

Yeah it was so interesting I quit 3 weeks in and didn’t look back.

Nope they definitely were not they were a boring timegated grindfest.

An absolute mess that should of never made it to full release let alone a playable beta.

No it was not and just like Torghast should of been cut.

Well even a broken clock is right twice a day shame you’re only right once though.

No it was not in fact it was so far away from being the “GOAT” it can’t even be measured.

4 Likes

No they mean it very literally even Blizzard has admitted it was awful.

Yeah almost as if there was like this outbreak that caused mass lockdowns forcing people to stay in their homes an event that boosted sales across the entire gaming market.

7 Likes

SL was fine if you didn’t need to change stuff constantly trying to min/max.

It was a collector’s expansion imo. If you like to chase achievements, mounts, pets etc… SL was overflowing with content.

Lots of easy gold too, especially if you had alts.

I agree with Revendreth, place was pretty awesome. I also loved Ardenweald outside Moonberry eventually doing my head in.

I can’t agree with the story being good, though. Jailer has to be my least favourite big bad ever, and I’m not sure I like the fact that they turned the afterlife/creation into an AI robo facility.

The only good thing about that story imo, was that it got me thinking… Maybe the Old Gods aren’t wrong after all? They created half the life on Azeroth. Heck, outside Elves and Draenei, Alliance races are all cursed bots.

SL was a very solid game from my perspective. It just didn’t feel like I was playing WoW.

DF, for me at least, has gone back to some of those basics which is welcomed, and with the lack of systems to grind, I don’t feel like I have to log in every day due to FOMO.

2 Likes

You make fair criticisms, and I agree with you that there were many things they could have done better. But I would rather flawed systems then no systems at all. Dragonflight feels void with the only carrot-on-a-stick being appearances

6 Likes

I dunno if this makes things any better but I always figured the Jailer to be more or less the super big bad guy we weren’t supposed to really care about his motivations or whatever and instead try to sympathize with or at least understand sylvanas. Alot of stories do this where the main villain is kinda more a cool setpiece thing to kill at the end where his/her minions are the actual interesting characters. Think Ozai contrasting with zuko, azula, and iroh to an extent from avatar the last airbender. zuko and azula both have tons of screen time and arcs to play out whereas ozai is just the guy that informs why both of them are so messed up and the thing aang beats up for a happy ending. I consider the jailer kinda like the ozai of shadowlands in this regard.

1 Like