Shadowlands cinematic question

do you think sylvanas is going to be an npc or a boss?
is she good or bad?
why did she break the helm?
how did she know about the whole thing?
what’s going to happen to sylvanas in the next expansion and what is going to be her role?
so many questions! but im sure all these are going to be revealed in shadowlands but the curiosity is killing me
so what do you guys think??
edit: forgot, i wonder who whispered voljin to make sylvanas the leader… could be (forgot his name) that dude who’s all chained in shadowlands

2 Likes
  1. Yes.
  2. Bad.
  3. To bust open the hole to Shadowlands and to set the Scourge loose.
  4. Because the writers wanted her to. Maybe the Jailer told her since we have zero idea what Sylvanas did “behind the scenes” to lead up to literally any of this.
  5. Hopefully she’ll be completely gone so her role will be nothing.
  6. What I think: I’m sick and tired of Sylvanas Windrunner and want her deleted.
24 Likes
  1. Better be a boss

2. Bad

3. To open a plot whole to the shadow lands

4. Plot figure with no backstory told her how too

5. Dies before she complete her plan and ends a roommate with Arthas in the maw

6. BFA has signal handedly destroyed by interest in Sylvanas as a character and any horde pride I had left. As far as I am concerned all the horde leader should go to the maw.

4 Likes
  1. Who knows, who cares
  2. Pretty sure Horde will pin Teldrassil on her at any and all opportunities, so bad.
  3. Obviously based off a retcon we’re not in the know of since the crown was made by Nerzhul who was a pawn of the Legion. Don’t ask me for specifics.
  4. We’re not in the know. Whatever is operating out of Shadowlands obviously has a reason to kick up trouble.
  5. With any luck she’ll die, it will no doubt involve something from the Windrunners. They’re too obvious a hole not to fill in atleast around the point where we can apparently kill or stop her.
  6. Given what kind of story we’ve been handed in BFA my expectations are as low as possible. As factions the Alliance is effectively impotent with the likes of altar-boy Anduin in-charge and the Horde is little more than a mutilated beast after losing yet another Warchief for stupid reasons. The skies could erupt with a legion of Stormcast Eternals and I wouldn’t care. Nothing in Blizzards realm of writing could fix the mess they’ve made just to compliment the fanfiction that is Sylvanases Wild Ride.

Sylvanas must be the poster child of how to drive a character into the ground

Just kill her and put her out of her misery.

11 Likes
  1. NPC who will die at the hands of another NPC in a cinematic.
  2. Bad.
  3. “To Set Us All Free” Meaning she thinks that being alive is a prison so by opening the way to the Maw will lead to everyone dying and being freed. At least that’s my guess.
  4. Jailor told her.
  5. Early primary villain and hopefully she’ll be dead by the end of the first patch.
  6. Simply put, Sylvanas needs to not only die but she needs to also be ejected from the story and be mentioned as little as possible in future WoW storyline. Her welcome as a character ran out in Legion.

Furthermore, despite Blizzard commercials at the start of BfA promoting it as the expac where Faction Pride would be a thing again, I think they pretty much killed peoples’ pride in either the Horde or the Alliance. Between Horde being asshats and Alliance being cinnamon rolls yet AGAIN, for like the third (or fourth? fifth?) time, I think everyone’s just done. Hopefully Shadowlands is free of Faction stuff as much as possible.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/shadowlands/#torghast

http://lorekeeper.net/en/world-of-warcraft-visions-of-nzoth-interview-with-patrick-dawson/

The fact that the Shadowlands website says that the Good Guys trapped in the Maw are getting their Souls expended by the Jailer while Blizzard Interviews say we will meet Arthas in Shadowlands indicates that Sylvanas’s plan is getting innocent Souls destroyed to fuel her and the Jailer’s power while evil Souls continue to suffer as usual.

The fact that the Jailer is seemingly still doing his job(torment the guilty for all eternity) despite eating the Souls that don’t belong in the Maw is interesting.

1 Like

I love numbered question/response threads:

1. No
  2. Objectively bad, until we know her ~real intentions~, then she’ll likely be “”“good(ish)”""
  3. To access the Shadowlands/break the Jailor out. Likely will turn out not to be the case when we find out her 42069 IQ plan
  4. Idk what this means
  5. By “the next” do you mean SL or the xpac after that? If the former, we’ll find out what she really is after/what her game plan is; if the latter idk lol
  6. Sylvanas content will always make me happy
2 Likes

Do you think Sylvanas is going to be an NPC or a boss?
Most Likely but not die.

Is she good or bad?
Anti-hero but a chaotic neutral-like alignment.

Why did she break the helm?
After her suicidal death at Icecrown Citadel she must have interacted with this new major lore character “The Jailer” in the Shadowlands. I believe she now knows that the souls trapped in the Maw can be somehow set free (“This world is a prison…and I will set us all… free”) including her own, the Forsaken and the scourge. Breaking the veil between our world and the Shadowlands via breaking the Helm of Domination opened the gateway.

What’s going to happen/her role?
I think everything Sylvanas has done from her death to this moment like the burning of Teldrassil and the war was a way to feed the Jailer more souls into the maw which in turn she gains his trust. She will probably be the 2nd last boss with the Jailer being the final one. When we defeat him she’ll be a Grom-like ending “Draenor is free” but a “Azeroth is free” situation.

Who whispered to Vol’jin Sylvanas’ name for Warchief?
Helya. I believe that the deal Sylvanas made with her in Legion involved Helya securing her place as Warchief.

1 Like

You have much more faith in the writers than I do.

:cactus:

1 Like

I really hope they dont try to pull some redemption arc out of their butt. I mean it’s possible they did it with Illidain so emo elves responsible for atrocities can totally be saviors if there’s an objectively greater evil they did evil stuff to combat.

But BC was ten years before Legion. A good deal of current players never played that content so at best only have a vague idea of what stuff Illidain got up to from mog runs of Black Temple if that. So she should definitely be vanquished in SL but if the games still running in 2030 and they need someone marketable for the box art - sure why not.

5 Likes

Everyone predicts either NPC with redemption arc, or End raid boss.

Imagine if she dies as a mid raid boss, or even worse, as a dungeon boss, with no ceremony…

Though, to be honest, i would love to see a 1v1 cinematic between Tyrande and Sylvanas. Both Elves, powered up by the power of their “patrons” (Elune and Jailer), and Tyrande killing her for good.

1 Like

Well, they told us she’s going to be “a little bit more” than “just another raid boss,” so while that could happen, they’re steering us away from expecting it.

Then again, they might think that’s genius. Or they could change their minds.

3 Likes
  1. Do you think sylvanas is going to be an npc or a boss?
    A. Both, actually. I think she’ll be a raid boss maybe the 2nd or 3rd raid? Then possibly an NPC afterwards depending on how the fight goes (kind of like Elisande or Azshara) and whether or not she’s more than just the Jailor’s unwitting pawn.

2. Is she good or bad?
    A. In DnD terms, I believe her alignment would be Neutral Evil. She does whatever she believes will further her goals, without heed to order or chaos and without consideration of the harm she causes. Whether that’s a selfish goal (spare herself torment in the Maw) or an ends justify the means (spare everyone torment in the Maw) type deal remains to be seen.

3. Why did she break the helm?
    A. I think breaking the helm would serve two purposes; one the helm served as a seal on the Shadowlands, kind of like a padlock. Break it, the lock opens. Second, it would also drastically weaken the Lich King, possibly one of the few beings who could challenge the Jailor’s power over death. (She’s even targeting Bwonsamdi, another with power over death in the upcoming novel).

4. How did she know about the whole thing?
    A. Presumably from the same source that’s been giving her increased power over death. The Jailor (big shadowy figure you see her approach at the end of the cinematic.)

5. What’s going to happen to Sylvanas in the next expansion and what is going to be her role?
    A. I think we’re going to see a lot more of her story in Shadowlands, possibly including a deeper delve into her motivations and if fortunate, a reveal of what really happened when she threw herself off Icecrown. As for her fate, I’m still holding out for a redemption ending, but not a rehash of Kerrigan where everything is justified and forgiven but her realization that she was in the wrong and her attempting to make amends, possibly leading to her final death.

1 Like
  1. I hope she’s a boss exclusively for Night Elves in which they get to kill her off and hang her corpse from Teldrassil’s husk.
  2. Terrible.
  3. Because Blizzard thinks shock and flashy moments make a good story.
  4. Plot devices and something something whispers from beyond.
  5. Probably get redeemed because Blizzard would rather save their precious favorite than write a good story.
  6. I think that BFA should not have happened the way it did and that Sylvanas’ story and the Horde’s ruin in BFA, has ruined the game for myself - so much so to the point that I haven’t played half of this expansion and won’t even buy the new one.
5 Likes
  1. Cop out answer, but both. No idea if they’ll hamfist some cringe redemption arc.
  2. Bad. They’ve pushed her way past any “greater good, aren’t you all stupid?” point.
  3. Really want to type a cynical answer here, but I’ll refrain. I’ll go with “The Jailer or some other force started communicating with her at some point very early in Legion.” I don’t want to think she was “acting” when she was fighting alongside Wrynn in the Legion intro cinematic.
  4. She needs a good death at this point. Something worthy of what the character was.

I have good friends made back in Vanilla who love(d) her. They saw things in the character, or identified with her, in ways I never, ever did. They, more than anything I ever felt myself, made me appreciate the character, and for the sake of those friends, I took no joy in what they turned her into. People who until the very end faithfully believed she was “fooling them all.” For all I know, Blizz may still DO that.

But I can’t say I hope they do. They’ve driven Sylvanas so far down the road of doing horrible things that to redeem her at this point, at least, in the eyes of the rest of Azeroth, would be a massive disservice to basically the near entirety of both playable factions, and the huge majority of NPCs therein.

It would make them all idiots who couldn’t see the truth of a situation in the slightest, and, worse, for her supposed allies, couldn’t be trusted with the truth. It would make them all completely excusing of atrocity, just to prop up a character Blizz turned into a real monster with a kill count that may well put Arthas to shame.

And that shouldn’t be foist upon any of us.

6 Likes

The only thing I can hope for next expac is that she dies terribly, but to answer the questions.

1. both because she wouldn’t be the first boss we’ve interacted with throughout the story.
  2. she is downright evil, there is zero way to write her out to be anything but evil.
  3. to cringe free is all.
  4. probably her new bff the jailer told her.
  5. as for her role in the expac, if she doesn’t die and instead gets a redemption I’ll honestly be shocked and not in the good way, she has objectively done so much bad in her unlife that unlike illidan who we didn’t really know what was going on during TBC her being redeemed would make no sense.
2 Likes

She does feel like the Gul’dan or Azshara early henchman for the final raid boss of the expansion.

Then again Ner’zhul was trapped in the frozen throne until merging with Arthas while the Jailer looks like he is trapped somewhere and that have been doing a Sylvanas is Arthas and Delaryn is Sylvanas theme with those two…Sylvanas merging with the Jailer and Delaryn being the one to save the Teldrassil Civilians from The Maw would not surprise me in the slightest.

2 Likes

This is the kind of sophisticated discussion I look for on the Story Forum.

1 Like
  1. Boss. Probably right before the Jailer.
  2. Bad. She’s very much the designated villain now.
  3. Part of some plan she and the Jailer have.
  4. Jailer probably told her.
  5. I think she’s trying to pull an Azshara on the Jailer, i.e. pretend to work with him, while she’s really more interested in saving herself. We’ll eventually face her in a raid. Not sure who will get the honor of finishing her off in the cinematic, but when it’s time for her to finally make due on her deal with the Jailer, she’s going to get more than she bargained for. Just like Azshara.