Shadowlands Blacksmithing - No Purple Weapons?

Hi All,

Okay I was in a long coma and before I fell into the coma it was WoW Vanilla and Blizzard allowed people to make blue weapon, such as Arcanite Reaper.

How come Shadowlands Blacksmithing doesn’t have options to forge purple weapons? All I see are green weapons for player level 50 but none at item level between 200 and 226.

I hope I am not hearing something like if Blizzard allowed that, then people would not go to do raids and would craft those legendary weapons and call it a day.

Please advise.

7 Likes

I would be happy with even base level 60 blue weapons that can only be upgraded like the base level 60 gear you can craft. Really annoying when you ding 60, get yours a full 168 set, no weapons, well guess I have to PvP which I really don’t enjoy, oh look a weapon, wait it’s a 1h and I’m 2h Frost, well back to being slaughtered in PvP.

5 Likes

Crafting is dead, unfortunately.

Like many RPG aspects of the game, they made a new system (legendary crafting) and it’s just… bad. If you want to craft your usable endgame gear you’ll probably have to wait until the next patch (or more likely next expac?)

Crafting gear was an important and worthwhile pursuit, but in BFA it was kind of bad, and now in SL it’s mostly nonexistent (again outside of the leggo crafting).

9 Likes

Professions suck this expansion as a whole. When I heard about the crafters marks I had high hopes for them, but as already mentioned, they fall way way short. Only thing worthwhile is alchemy and enchanting.

4 Likes

We won’t know if there’s raid crafting in 9.1 until the PTR hits but I don’t get it.

There was high end crafting in BFA in Uldir, why does it not exist here? BFA systems were tolerable compared to SL systems because at least you were progressing.

1 Like

Yeah I ground out my insane madness focus thingy for my three crafting pieces. Took a LOOOOONG time but it was, in the end, probably worth it after we could corrupt them.

In SL I powerleveled through all the quests and dungeons by day 2. By day 3 we were spamming heroics. On day 4 I looked into leveling my professions, and our Heroic gear was all better than the craftable gear.

So… what purpose does crafting serve now?
There’s not even an epic Engineering helmet anymore, for the first time since… vanilla?

Not even Blue ones. Which would allow us to use that Crafter’s thing to boost them to 168. Which is pretty weak, but at least would give an alt a leg up at level 60.

This, in the expansion which the designers said they wanted to make crafting mean more and be better.

I have a blacksmith and she can’t even make a decent weapon for my other DPS. This sucks! I started all these toons with different professions and the limit on just crafting is tedious and frustrating. Please come up with a way for the professions to be worth a headache that you have to pay for. Not fun!

Big sad. I liked in wod atleast we could make okay weapons that had cool transmogs now we don’t even get unique transmogs with crafting :frowning:

1 Like

wow is on the verge of following the dodo birds people… only this dodo is activision… they dont want mounts, they only want pvp, and suck our game dry they give special considerations to the pvp-ers, the and dungeoners, we rpg-ers the ones who MADE this game and can kiss off…they’ve ruined cod and now they want wow gone…funny thing is, i believe we pay just as much for our gameplay as they do

1 Like

A huge shift happen sometime after Wrath with professions to make them for the most part pretty passive in usefulness. Some still provide a gold income when selling things useful for performance boost in mythic + and raids, such as cooking and alchemy. But even jewel crafting and enchanting falls pretty flat. You can pick up gathering professions and grind your life away day in and out, and make a good amount of gold over time.

But professions granting more than poorly spaced out upgraded for leveling up toons, with poor max level gear. Even now with stuff to raise their ilvl higher. The welfare gear is still easier and better to come by.

What used to be a set progression of items and gear that very much counted into mix professions has all but now skipped it, to push players into other content faster and sooner without being dependent on player interaction outside grouping for end game content.

With the current set up you can totally skip running any normal or heroic dungeon to totally gear up to begining Mythic dungeon and Raid level.

Blizzard can’t figure out how to make crafting relevant anymore, so no dice.

I’m pretty sure you can make them epic by using the crafting things to upgrade them.

No you can’t. Oh and inscription which has two staff and one off hand in its list this xpac can’t even upgrade them to 168 forget 200 or 230. And not a single new glyph this expansion.

1 Like

They boost above an Epic item level, but the quality remains Rare for some reason. I’ve got the 230 Alchemist Stone and it did the same thing.

Now, I don’t really care since it’s literally just a color, but I can see how it can mess with someone’s brain.

Unfortunately not, but even with an Ilvl upgrade… no domination shard so its already DOA.

It seems they don’t want anything getting in the way of that weekly random box.

You say this and yet when I had just reached level 60 and joined my current guild, they helped me by giving me almost entirely crafted BOE gear at itemlevel 200 to help me get started. Thanks to them I was able to raid in Sanctum of Domination before I could even travel in the Beast area of the maw safely.

Crafting definitely isn’t in great shape right now, but people are still able to craft extremely helpful gear, and provided they are willing to make an investment, they can gain a lot of gold selling rank 4+ legendary base items.

In BFA I was almost entirely unable to get anything out of crafting (aside from the special tool quests which were actually kind of fun, but questionable useful in practical matters) and would have to spend thousands of gold to upgrade items to have slightly less material costs, which would require a LOT of crafting to make up for that loss.

I can’t remember using any crafted gear or weapons in BFA for my characters. Not one. Just consumables and enchantments. Even though I crafted a PvP gun to use at maximum level on one of my hunters, by the time I was about to use it, the gear I could get elsewhere was already better.

Shadowlands isn’t perfect but it’s not even remotely as bad as you’re making it out to be. At least the crafted gear is better than world quest rewards, and the one fully upgraded piece (assuming you use one) is going to be well worth using until you get into significantly higher tiers of raiding.

On topic I have no idea how weapons are crafted in this expansion. I don’t know if you can even upgrade them. If not it wouldn’t surprise me–weapons are your most important piece. Given that you can only use one fully upgraded item… if that could be a weapon, who wouldn’t choose that? It would kind of trivialize any armor you could equip. So it makes sense…

You should watch a vid on new world crafting. Its impressive.