Sept 8th-12th 2019 - WoW connection issues / WOW51900328

That’s not it at all, your connection is horrible.

Since it’s Cricket it’s a hotspot which means you have the poor connection wifi gives for gaming added to what looks to be poor cell service.

i understand using our mobile devices itsnt the best way to play. but i live in an area where its only 4g lte or satellite my 20mbs download speed works just fine. Also i have had no issue for for the past 3 years up until now.

Woot! back into the Queue boss i go!

Server: Oceania - Arugal
Internet Connection: Wireless / Wired (same performance in both, my router is literally next to my PC) - Broadband
Issue: Usually around 150ms, I have been playing with 350+ms past 3 days.
ISP: JCOM
Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : No VPN
Is this affecting both Live and Classic connections? : Classic only. Not playing live.

1 Like

I have to ask, are all of you unable to connect using Linux or a Linux based Firewall like Untangle?

Hey ya’ll,

Just wanted to touch base with everyone and say that this is still being investigated. As previously mentioned, we are aware that this is affecting certain network setups and Linux based OSs.

While it isn’t something we can support, some players have had luck changing their network settings.

In the mean time, we ask for your patience while this is sorted out.

1 Like

From reading the forums and twitter these users were having issues after Monday:

1. some Windows users
  2. Users with Untangled Routers
  3. Windows users connecting to the internet from a Android Mobile phone
  4. Android users using remote connection to play World of Warcraft from a phone.
  5. The Android WoW Companion App
  6. Linux/Chromebook users

My slow Windows 8.1 (I will not upgrade to Windows 10) box was able to connect on Monday morning but my Linux PC was down. My Linux PC was down yesterday also.

I logged in just now after work and my two Linux PCs are working now with no settings changes!

I just installed the WoW Companion app for the first time and it is working.

Is any other users able to connect now (who were down) or is it just me?

‘Certain Network Setups’ - can you be any less detailed?

I am NOT on cellular, DSL, VDSL, etc, nor do I normally use any sort of VPN - Comcast Cable (Chicago hub), and while I have been able to get past the ‘logging into game server’ bridge troll as of a couple hours ago, I am still seeing large time slices where the application hangs getting into the server, then again at the character screen immediately (~30 seconds both screens). For now, Once I get in, it is near normal game play except when I have to transition via load screen, then I see a ~30 second app hang again.

For perspective, I normally have near instant load times on a transition, but now, if I take a boat, I do not get past the blue bar until the boat is at the other dock. If it lasted any longer, I would not load back in until the boat was headed back to where I just left.

Hey Zenlaka, thanks for your diligence.

Do you know if the recent connection latency issue between Japan and Oceanic servers (Namely Arugal as seen in this thread: Unusually high ping playing from Japan on OCE servers (classic, Arugal)) is due to recent issues (so Blizzard is aware, and we can just wait Blizzard to sort it out), or is that something that you guys are not aware and therefore we should check with out ISP’s?

1 Like

Hey Gallow,

We have received similar reports from other players in Japan and it is something we are investigating.

3 Likes

i’m finally able to get through without a VPN now. in queue at least.

So I live an a very rural area and i use USB tethering to play a lot of my games. I use a VPN (Surfshark) and PdaNet to tether after the DDOS attacks i could not get in while using my usb tether even with my vpn. I solved this problem by waiting till it disconnected me and using the login screen to get to the setting in the game. From there i clicked system then network and disabled (Enable IPv6 when available and Optimive Network for speed and it let me in!

Hope this helps

Logged in tonight (In Lubuntu 18.04 LTS) with TTL changes reverted back to 64 => seems like it is fixed for me in both retail and classic.

Strange how many days this took to acknowledge there was an issue, investigate and have it resolved while not keeping customers in the loop more often. (A customer should expect a certain SLA between their service provider and them based on severity and this one even with a work around was severe, just pure luck on Blizzards part that we had a way to work around it without their support)

I really hope the blizz team learns from this and gives back to community that has been impacted by this issue [game time, whatever], it was rather unfair to the rest of us who had nothing to do with these DDOS attacks to keep us in the dark for so long.

I cannot log into retail version on my mobile hotspot.(att)

I can
1- log on to classic on my wireless hotspot
2-log onto retail using my tethering.

Any idea how to fix?

Thanks in advance

I was able to Log in today - I logged out and then back in 3 min latter. Perhaps its fixed? I can only HOPE

And… back to not being able to get past the ‘logging in to game server’ bridge troll…

Working for me finally, with pdanet tether.

Finally able to play with pdanet! hopefully it works with you guys!

US: Comcast Chicago

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                           WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                                         us.actual.battle.net                                  |
|                            Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|-----------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                                      x.x.x.x -    0 |   50 |   50 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
|                                      x.x.x.x -   24 |   26 |   20 |    1 |    2 |    5 |    3 |
|                                      x.x.x.x -   24 |   26 |   20 |    9 |   14 |   23 |   14 |
|                    x.x.x.chicago.comcast.net -   24 |   26 |   20 |   10 |   13 |   17 |   10 |
|                              162.151.184.101 -   24 |   26 |   20 |    9 |   14 |   17 |   13 |
|                              162.151.184.117 -   24 |   26 |   20 |   14 |   19 |   22 |   21 |
|be-33491-cr02.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net -   24 |   25 |   19 |   16 |   20 |   24 |   21 |
|be-10588-pe04.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net -   24 |   26 |   20 |   15 |   19 |   23 |   19 |
|                                173.167.58.14 -   24 |   26 |   20 |   16 |   19 |   23 |   19 |
|                   ae1-br01-eqch2.as57976.net -   24 |   26 |   20 |   66 |   69 |   83 |   67 |
|                               137.221.65.132 -   24 |   25 |   19 |   64 |   68 |   86 |   68 |
|              et-0-0-2-br01-eqla1.as57976.net -   24 |   26 |   20 |   66 |   76 |  103 |  102 |
|                   be1-pe02-eqla1.as57976.net -   24 |   25 |   19 |   65 |   68 |   71 |   69 |
|             lax-eqla1-ia-bons-03.as57976.net -   24 |   26 |   20 |   65 |   69 |   76 |   69 |
|                        No response from host -  100 |    9 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                                 24.105.28.10 -   24 |   25 |   19 |   65 |   69 |   77 |   69 |
|_____________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

I’m still unable to authenticate with BNet when connected via my VPN hosted on a personal Digital Ocean droplet.

I’m aware that cloud hosting providers like Digital Ocean are probably hotspots for attacks, so I understand that the mitigation efforts might temporarily block them.

I hope this can be sorted-out soon, though, as I prefer to use my VPN whenever I’m not on my home connection.

I know that VPN connections aren’t officially supported, but they’re also not against the ToS as long as they’re used for legitimate play and not anything malicious or cheating (I’ve verified this with Blizzard in the past). They’re being used more frequently these days by technical and security-conscious folks.

I realize also that more and more VPN users makes Blizzard’s job that much harder when trying to sort-out the malicious tunnel traffic from the legitimate. I appreciate the work that the network engineers are putting into keeping the game running stable during this time of extended attacks.

If there is any other technical information I can provide which may help them for VPN cases like mine, let me know and I’ll be happy to provide what I can.