Sept 8th-12th 2019 - WoW connection issues / WOW51900328

Type this in CMD : netsh int ipv4 set glob defaultcurhoplimit=129

Ferris Bueller, youā€™re my hero.

It fixed. Thank you bruh! :slight_smile:

OSā€™ impacted so far:
Various distroā€™s of linux (large community of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS users)
Windows 10
Some MAC OS users

Linux users find ways to change their TTL from 64 to 128 in case the upstream provider is filtering by passive OS fingerprinting
to find malicious packets (packets with abnormal TTL so far has been one of the big trigger points)

Most linux distroā€™s right now and some windows 10 builds seem to be defaulting to 64 (less than that can be considered an old OS)
128 is the default for most Windows 10 builds

Work around(s)

1. Change your OS TTL to 128 (or some value that works for you)

For Windows OS open up an administrator CMD prompt
type this into the big black command window: netsh int ipv4 set glob defaultcurhoplimit=128

For Linux distroā€™s use a search engine and figure out how to do it for your specific distro but what worlks for some is:
echo 128 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl
or
sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=128
but to make it last on reboot you have to add this to your /etc/sysctl.conf file (where ever it lives/exists)
net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=128

1. VPN
  2. IPV6 when available (may require extra router setup)

Some end users report linux routers or NAT firewalls may require adjusting of the TTL in the case where TTL is changed by the router actively (or passively)

1. Change your IP address (blacklisted) when passing through some ISP hand over connections (router to router)

In case of an IP address blacklisted
-Release your IP from the ISP (normally through your router)
-Change the mac address (on your router or device in front of your ISP device [sometimes these are combined all in 1])
-Make sure you save the change
-Renew the IP (on the device where you released it)

you may have to reboot a DSL/Cable or FTTH/FTTP modem to free the IP from the hardware provisioning server.

If none of the above work try a game scan/repair just to be safe.
Try classic instead of retail (faster, smaller, less BS caching)

DO try your account on another windows machine just to see if it will get in (maybe you have a black list on the account?)

Regards

3 Likes

One thing I have started to notice is that if I just sit here and stare at the launcher for a while instead of trying to log in, it periodically disconnects and reconnects every couple of minutes.

Same here. Lutris setup.

This worked for me, thank you!

I totally agree, my brother is able to play, my friends are able to playā€¦ same connection, same realm. Iā€™ve tried everything they suggested and that didnā€™t work. Answers would be niceā€¦ Iā€™ll take a refund on my purchase also.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. although my PC is Windows, my firewall/router is linux based. I increased the TTL on it and now Iā€™m good.

Running OpenSUSE Leap here. Change TTL to 128 and Iā€™m good to go now.

netsh int ipv4 set glob defaultcurhoplimit = 128

This work for me, thx.

Internet Connection: Wired Broadband
ISP: CenturyLink
Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : No VPN
Is this affecting both Live and Classic connections? : Live

Iā€™m having extreme latency (mostly affecting world). When I log into another WoW account on the exact same computer however (both using no addons), there are zero issues with the other account.

Update: Making a few family members log into servers that share the same data center resulted in the same latency issues.

1 Like

same boat as everyone else.

wow error WOW51900328
server - incendius

Internet Connection: Wired Broadband and Tethered
ISP: Rogers (Wired) and Freedom (Tethered)
I tried a VPN (ExpressVPN) with different locations, and none of them worked.
I only play Classic, so I donā€™t know if it also affects retail.

Edit: I mainly use Linux. I just popped into Windows and it seems to be working (Iā€™m in queue now).

Internet Connection
Wired Broadband ADSL

ISP
CenturyLink

Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one?
I donā€™t have a VPN

Is this affecting both Live and Classic connections?
Yes

I can connect (though Iā€™ve been online for some of the DDoS attacks - not sure if I was on for the very most recent), but Iā€™m having latency issues, sometimes severely. Diagnostics all point toward the problems starting once I hit Blizzardā€™s servers, and Blizzard services are the only thing Iā€™m having any trouble with. Normally when this is the case, my raidmates are also affected, but not this time. Itā€™s just me, even though some of my raidmates are fairly local to me. I had to bail on my raid tonight.

Iā€™ve power cycled my router and modem. Iā€™ve run ipconfig /release, /renew, and /flushdns and restarted. No dice.

Same exact story for me. I also have CenturyLink.

Anyone else just hoping for an update? Iā€™m so utterly confused.

Friends can play and are online in the server I play on. However I still cant seem to connect, to any server for that matter. Most people on this thread are saying it seems to be affecting Linux and other operating systems much more so than Windows 10. Yet here I am again on Windows and still receiving a code: WOW51900328 after 30 seconds of ā€œLogging into game server.ā€

Iā€™ve even gone through the recommend steps to reset my modem, reset and flush my dns, and empty and clear all cache, interface, and WTF files.

I feel as if so many of us are crying out for help and weā€™ve only been brushed under the rugā€¦

1 Like

download VPN software. protonVPN, phantomVPN, NordVPN etc. will get you back online.

Been facing this issue since yesterday afternoon. The sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=128 fix as mentioned before worked for me.

Iā€™m kinda unfamiliar with TTL but I think it has something to do with either connection timeouts or number of hops allowed before giving up on a connection. Could this be caused by whatever network configuration blizzard is using to mitigate the ddos? Maybe theyā€™ve added new proxies and firewalls and connections take longer, causing timeouts for some people.

For those having issues on Windows, maybe try looking into modifying your time to live (TTL) setting as well.

Internet Connection: Tethered through PDA Net
ISP: Boost Mobile (uses sprint)
Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : Nope
Is this affecting both Live and Classic connections? : Both are affected.