Sept 8th-12th 2019 - WoW connection issues / WOW51900328

Worked perfectly with my untangle! Thanks much!!!

Using a VPN did not resolve for me. I tried two different site to sites to put me on different ISPs. So far, bypassing has been the only fix.

In your cases, are your untangle’s (or the untangle’s you’re tunneling through) bypassing vpn traffic?

Perfect, glad it worked for you. We’ve started to see more people post about having issues with untangle in the last day or so.

When trying to work around this issue I had used VMWARE workstation/palyer on my busted linux box to test classic out, NAT through my linux box failed but bridged to my proivders FFTH/FTTP router (which has a different TTL settings out of thebox) worked perfect. I’m suspecting there are others routers out there based on linux that do packet managling (via iptables or ipfw?) that have this issue and why VPN tends to work for them.

Anyhow thanks for posting the results!

1 Like

DL’ing a VPN client totally fixed the issue. What a PITA.

This needs to be repeated because it works… been dealing with 238 and 319 errors for 3 days. If it says you don’t have admin access you need to type: net user administrator /active:yes

2 Likes

Using a router?
Does it have IPTABLES?
Can’t figure out how to or unable to adjust the TTL?
You could try this in a linux root shell to the router

iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -d 137.221.96.0/19 -j TTL --ttl-set 128
iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -d 37.244.0.0/19 -j TTL --ttl-set 128

alternatively you could do all traffic but this is for those that want very specific TTL changes, just remember that the kernel will make you think when troubleshooting that you have a direct connection to the remote end point because the kernel handles the rest for you. (rather seemless)

If you want to revert the changes just reboot the router (or read the forum link to my earlier post)

For more info please follow the forum post here:

The above iptables rules worked for any servers I have characters on and includes classic but YMMV

Curious as to if it will affect anything else, but so far everything else seems normal. The fun part is I did the change while my wife was streaming a movie (I didn’t give any warning) and there wasn’t even a blink.
Do you know if that setting persist through a reboot?

Internet: wireless
Provider: spectrum
NordVPN didn’t help
Wow was running through Wine just great a few days ago now I can’t log into any realms on classic or live

This worked for me on the first try!! Thank you so much! Everyone should try this…

1 Like

no luck tried 3 times

Looking into this issue for a Canadian bud. The people unable to connect: Are you able to select a realm? If so are you getting a dc?
Also, have you tried to connect to an OCE server and be successful?

In general it won’t really impact anything unless one of the remote hosts you usually visit have a routing loop, it just means you have more network hops to go through before the TTL expires legit in transit.

Every time you touch a router (or a network hop) via traceroute as an example will -1 from the TTL, you hit 0 and you are pretty much not reaching that endpoint unless the TTL has a value left or matches perfectly with the path of the last hop.

It is sad to say we used to have OS limits of 32 by default (but that was enough back in the day since most hops tend to be up to half of that / even today)

Anyhow the change doesn’t kick any network connections and becomes active right away for outbound packets.

The way you implemented it will NOT survive a reboot which is sometimes a good thing (You may need to look at how to implement it for the specific distro untangle uses [locations of files can vary for cusom setups])

sysctrl.conf is normally the file

There are commands to set it but really prefer you to do a bit of digging if you really need to keep this value.

Honestly I use 72 now as my TTL but 128 does align with newer windows 10 OS builds and is why we chose that value in the first place. (To avoid passive fingerprinting techniques)

Internet Connection: (Broadband - cable)
ISP: Spectrum - St Louis, MO - 3 - wow players on Windows 10 - Using a Untangle Router - which is actually using linux
Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : proton vpn does fix the problem and allows connection to wow
Is this affecting both Live and Classic connections? : both live and classic

this is one i tried and hoped would work. it didnt, like many other claims that “this works” it shouldnt be stated as if it will resolve anything…despite the few lucky ones who found some way around whatever is happening ive had no such luck and cant see anything on my end that can change that, unfortunately.

but i just tried to login again and what ill regard as ‘magic’ let me play again after the last 10hours of nonsense trying to get on…used nothing besides my router and original settings before this happened and i really dont know what made it happen, gl all.

sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=129

Worked for me! Thanks!

Debian 9, Wine Staging 4.15.

I’m not sure what would have lead to trying the IPv4 timeout, but congrats on the insight.

I’ve had success changing my IPv4 ttl to 128. I’ve also had success using IPv6. This is on KDE Neon.

1 Like

So I’ve been using a tethered connection using EasyTether Plus on my phone. Since the DDoS I’ve been unable to connect to neither Classic or BFA. However, just yesterday I found out that by turning off EasyTether and using the built-in tethering on my phone, I’m able to connect just fine. I’m just giving a FYI for anyone else using the EasyTether app and having trouble connecting.

still cant connect to wow classic us server with error code 51900328,but can log on to oceanic server
server:united states -myzrael
ISP: wisc edu
work for me,thanks!

I was recently able to log onto a Oceanic server but that’s it, all other realms are still unavailable.