Sell me on pet battles

I think that I would like to play them if there was an option to not kill the cute bunny to end the battle. I know you can cage them, but there are only so many times you can.

I’m not hooked on them and never have been. They are just a pass time for collectors and should be treated like any other mini game in WoW.

The plus side is having a lot of cool pets to collect (think timeless isle) and quite a few achievements The downside is getting started since it will take a while to build a good lineup. Pet Battles were introduced in Cata BTW.

Only because more development has went into friggin PET BATTLES than PvP.

Hell how many different vendors are there that sell pets?

And PvPer’s are too stupid for ONE.

2 Likes

Haha! Probably true tbh.

I didn’t really like them at first either. then i did it and it was somewhat fun. when the bonus week comes around i like to level my alts with the bonus.

wrong, was MoP. and Pre Patch, is not Cata still.

2 Likes

That might be true about doing world quests but when you start doing the battle pet achievement, dungeons, and pet battle PVP you will need a much more extensive collection. Some of the very best pets fail at other battles, it all depends on the opponent.

2 Likes

Bonus week gives bonus experience to the pets, not the player. However, doing pet battles is a great way to level characters level 60-100.

Their not dead really, just sleeping :slight_smile:

1 Like

well to fix the barrier to entry they could go down the boost route. have a vendor have a 1 time special deal that sells a pack of level up stones to 25. one for every pet type. it could be sold by a rep vendor for like 50k gold or something.

lol that would be nice if it were true.

There’s this weird dichotomy between players complaining that pet battle mechanics are too hard to learn without guides and/or huge stables of pets and players complaining that the WQs can all be beaten by the same team. Blizzard can either keep the tamers super simple so that the greatest number of players can beat them and learn counters from them, or they can make them complicated and lock out all but the most serious pet battle aficionados from them. I think it’s better they choose the former. I’ve noticed a trend with a lot of BFA pet tamers of using three of the same pet, so that if you bring three moths to counter their three aquatics, for example, you wipe the floor with them. This doesn’t make for very challenging WQs, but it does teach players simple counter mechanics, and allows players to win the battles with easily trapped pets.

1 Like

Wow did not expect this to blow up so much and get blue posts :open_mouth:

I did give them a shot. They are definitely interesting that’s for sure. Gimmicky, silly, and not really as dumb or annoying as I would have thought. I also wasn’t even aware the BFA pet world quests scaled, so even with just a few level 5-6 pets right now I can do them. Ikky and Iron Starlette have been champs.

It’s definitely something I can see becoming addicting, so I am glad I gave it a try after what, 7 years? If anyone is like me definitely just try it. Now I just have to find time to dedicate to getting some level 25s.

1 Like

There’s a bonus week coming up that triples the rate of XP gain. If you have a Feline Familiar at 25 you can solo whole teams of pets in MoP zones. Using this you can power level your others.

Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is another great pet to have at 25 for a variety of reasons.

I remember giving Pet battles a good go, I was feeling confident and then Q’d for a Pet battle and had my rear end handed to me.

Its also similar to Archaeology, a bit boring after a while

1 Like

There are some really good players, and like anything PvP, you have to do a bit of research and minmaxing before hand.

Late at night, and early in the mornings typically have less advanced players giving it a shot. Prime time is when the sharks start swimming.

1 Like

I need to spend a day and get mine leveled up, it is sort of annoying missing out on some daily quests because I never really bothered with it. I don’t mind them being a quest type, after all we have quest types for gathers and crafting.

Maybe I should give it another go after I get flying done

Anything gets boring after awhile [ie I’m completely burnt out on islands right now]. I find pet battles are the best when they add new pets, and there’s something new to hunt. With the new areas…there were the easy to obtain pets to capture, but there were a few hard to get ones you had to be a little more patient and hunt down. You get a little rush when you finally find it, then hope you do nothing to mess up the battle to capture it [if blue quality, oh boy].

To the op, some times it’s about beating the battle. Some are stating here all you needed was an unborn val’kyr and ikky…I didn’t have ikky max [nor wanted to go max him at this time], and found I had to get creative. Beating a battle in your own way, without a gimme guide can be fun and give you a little feeling of accomplishment when you win. It’s just some fun for those that like it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If this doesnt convince you. Nothing will.

2 Likes