Self-Reporting Character Name - What Typically Happens Action-Wise?

If a character name is self-reported, are any actions typically done that would leave a mark or lead to loss of certain privileges, e.g. being a guide in Newcomer chat, etc.? For instance, is the account marked as having a warning issued, etc. and does this impact other areas of the account?

*Note: I understand this is a YMMV scenario, but just getting a feel for what usually happens to the account itself.

If an answer can’t be given, that’s understood. Hopefully this thread is useful for others as well regardless.

Thanks!

Generally a self-report is without any penalty. If you take action and admit you made a mistake in naming your character against policy and want to address it, then Blizzard will give you clemency for it. Its only if someone else has to report you for impacting their experience with the game that a penalty is applied.

Please also note that, if the GM reviewing the self-report ticket doesn’t find the name in violation of the naming policy you will not be receiving a name change. I only bring that up as some have tried that to get a free name change, then complained when Blizzard informed them it wasn’t a violation. Not saying you’re trying that, but it could still occur with your name.

6 Likes

^^ This, Bosco has summed it up very well.

And, yes - this is a YMMV scenario. It is extremely rare to have someone self-report a name that is so egregious that other actions need be taken. Those usually get reported far sooner by others :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Perfect. Thanks for the information all!

Oh one more thing - what’s the correct ticket category to use?

1 Like

I may be wrong, but I believe this is one of the few times the Not Listed Here option would be the best as there isn’t a specific self-report ticket.
https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/contact/187/ticket

I’m sure Orlyia will correct me if I’m wrong though.

4 Likes

Generic option would be fine.

3 Likes

That worked great and the ticket was resolved quite painlessly. Thanks again :slight_smile:

4 Likes