Season of Discovery Realm Consolidation

When Season of Discovery launched we were excited to leverage some technology improvements that allowed us to achieve significantly higher realm populations than ever before, and we’ve had a goal of seeing all Season of Discovery players of each ruleset playing on the same realm.

To reach that goal, we will soon open Free Character Transfers from all Season of Discovery realms to one single PvP realm and one single PvE realm in each region (where applicable). These free transfers and all origin realms will remain available for the rest of Season of Discovery, but with the origin realms closed to new players.

Most of the origin realms currently still have healthy populations, and we recognize that moving characters can be disruptive to player communities, so this is not a decision we take lightly. Faction balance on the PvP realms is also a concern for many players, and we’re pleased to note that daily active players across all PvP realms has been a near perfect 50/50 split. This consolidation should not impact faction balance. Ultimately we believe, and have seen from player movement, that people want to be with as many others as possible.

Thank you all for joining us in this journey through Season of Discovery. We’re looking forward to seeing everyone take on the final phases together!

–The WoW Classic Development and Server Teams

21 Likes

Instead of setting up these 2 new servers, and letting the old servers fall apart as people shuffle off … WHY NOT INVEST THE WORK TO SOLVE THE NAME COLLISION PROBLEM AND DO A FORCED MERGE?

How many years have you had to figure out how to support two people named “Tiggle”. Think deeply about it. Provide a generated last name or something. I don’t know. But quit making this same mistake again and again because you can’t architect solutions for the bigger problem.

36 Likes

What about rppvp and rp servers?

15 Likes

I’m assuming there will be no changes to Wild Growth US as it’s the only PvE server?

So we don’t have to worry about names?

No offense to the AU people but I don’t want to deal with your lag…

6 Likes

I miss the days when servers didn’t immediately die after 3 months. They had their own cultures, communities, and identities. Now we are just shuffled around from dying server to dying server, uprooted like a nomadic tribe each time.

17 Likes

What are the destination realms?

Can characters currently on pvp servers transfer to the pve server?

4 Likes

Do a forced merge while allowing multiple people with same name with the server name attached the same way you do it with battlegroups/joint servers on retail.

Example
Joe-LivingFlame
Joe-LoneWolf

New characters would then get no amended server tag or the tag of the server considered the destination of the merger.
Disallow new characters under the old server name.

This should let you move entire guilds & keep the communities together as well.

This really should have been the solution to mergers ages ago…

19 Likes

Exactly my question!

same question! Let me get out of PVP server!

2 Likes

RIP everyone’s names when we all go to a mega server

9 Likes

Honestly, just make one mega-server and have it be normal and let people opt into PvP via a warmode option. I wouldn’t even call PvP in SOD actual PvP since it’s nothing more than just zergs and griefing.

Also, please add in a one time faction change or something.

7 Likes

Yeah seriously. At this point, just go “full retail” :clown_face: , and add War Mode.

2 Likes

Im sure you are quite the pvper. :joy:

Betting odds on which server will be more popular.

And for those established guilds (ours has 4 raid teams and almost to the full 1000 characters), how would guild transfer work? And retaining your guild name/toon names? This feels really disruptive.

5 Likes

When will these launch? I want to try to get my original name before other people just take them all because it’s a mega server.

horrible, horrible, horrible idea. just do a merge. this “you can stay if you want” thing is nonsense. wild growth already has a small horde population, you’re condemning any guild that isnt interested in transferring to a slow, painful death. not to mention i dont want to lose my identity and be forced to change my existing characters’ names.

please reconsider this.

8 Likes

What happens to the RP servers and Oceanic servers? Will there be no more RP servers, or will the mega server be forced to RP?

1 Like

Since Wild Growth is the only NA PvE server (and largest server in SoD) you will leave us alone right? Because making tens of thousands of people transfer for no reason would be a pretty dumb thing.

11 Likes