Season of Discovery has more players than Retail

I can still barely tag mobs almost a week later in the Valley of Trials. By the time it cools down, the dungeons and BFD will already be being completed. I just don’t have time for it. I like the idea, and the Rune acquisition is VERY much in the spirit of how Vanilla WoW quests work. But I would have to take a month off from work to dedicate myself to it.

Also, que as a healer. DPS que times are not valid barometers of anything. If you want in random ques in PvE or PvP quicker, you better be willing to play a role that isn’t disposable.

Lets see… according to Blizz’s own server data, SoD has 8 NA/Oceanic servers, 4 of which are full, 2 are high pop, 1 is medium pop, and 1 is low. Based on this, I am very skeptical of the OP’s claims.

1 Like

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard ever.

Not sure what retail players are talking shi on. The servers are literally the largest mega servers ever made for WoW, period…including retail WoW.

IIRC there were points where there were MANY more TBC raid parses than shadowlands raid parses.

TBC was great.

Vanilla was the only point in the game’s history I unsubbed, out of boredom. Terrible game.

It’s a nice little extra game for me to play. It’s cute.

:expressionless:

Come on, man. Classic is a solid game option. Dont sink to their level.

it is fun seeing new ppl in the world but that is where it ends for me. i love classic but im bored of just it always reimagining vanilla all the time.
vanilla, era, sod, som, hc… just boring now lol do other expansions

whats season of discovery?

SoD is the most fun I’ve had since they released classic servers. Retail is alright but there’s just something about this version of classic that has me hooked. New players and old are coming back in droves. World chat is alive and well. Oh….and WORLD PVP IS A THING! The whole premise of WoW has been about faction wars. Now that warmode is a thing and everyone is holding hands in harmony, it’s just not the same. Everyone should try it and give it a chance!

1 Like

I’m doing both . I start the week doing my DF stuff plus check in every couple of days for new WQs to do and betwen that I do SoD.

In both I do some things alone and in both I do some things with guildies I have in both versions.

People are doing both and some are also doing hard core (not me though)

No, they allow the max amount of people per layer. And instead of a ton of servers, they just use a ton of layers.

i see alot of hate and mocking comming from retail players in the comments so let me clarify why people on classic do this. In 2019 classic it was obvious to us whenever something dropped on retail it affected the player base on classic. I’m assuming when stuff like naxx dropped it affected the player base on retail as well. pointing out the differences in population isn’t classic people putting retail down or cheering that “we where right about retail sucking.” looking at them side by side is a good indicator on how well its being received by players, and a good indicator about if its going to be a good thing in the long run. At least for me it has nothing to do with which is better or putting retail players down. players leaving retail (lets be honest temporarily) to come to SOD is just exciting for us because it means the idea was good enough to be interesting and gives us hope that this will be a success. Reason i found this page is i decided to google if season of discovery was still popular 2 weeks after launch, if this is where i ended up then others are also using retail benchmarks as an indicator. no need for all the mocking and hate i see reading this page lol

1 Like

Solo shuffle queues still have a too many people problem. Healing is a bit miserable, so the DPS queues get stacked up to thousands of people in line. SoD has a lot of Twitch views, but retail is still going to be the lion’s share of players. Classic is more like a Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls Online sized player base. If you know what to poke on retail, you can see where the absolute crush of players is and why retail has so many more servers.

1 Like

Meanwhile Blizzard has done basically nothing to help healers out.

1 Like

I played SoD and got a toon to 25. Level caps so low there isnt really much to do beyond farming/getting farmed for honor, running the raid every 3 days (which isnt even that hard), and working on professions.

I’ll take a break and do my Retail chores for a week or two and go back.

as much as I detest retail, its laughable that you honestly believe that Season of Gimmickry has more people playing than retail.

Its just another gimmick server thats the new hotness, first day had record log ins because it was new. Once the new car smell wears off and you realize its just basic Vanilla with a simple retooled glyph system that works like azerite armor, and a terrible dungeon turned into a terrible raid. People will leave shortly thereafter.

Just like classic servers, and BC servers and Wrath servers and Hardcore servers. Gimmick after gimmick that are forgotten shortly when the new hotness drops.

And to all the naysayers, the same thing will happen when Cata Classic drops.

You call it SoD, I call it SaD

1 Like