Screen Flickering Classic WoW only

I see they moved this thread from Tech to Classic forum

OK, I downloaded the new Windows 10 updates and I’m currently running 1903 version with no more updates available.

Graphics card is AMD r9 200series 290

I’m up to date on my drivers . Still getting the minor flickering and generally laggy graphics in Classic WoW only.

Doesn’t Current and Classic WoW use the same engine? Like i said my BFA version runs great. Just trying to get this resolved before the Classic launch.
Appreciate anymore info or ideas to try and resolve this

1 Like

I had a similar issue, switching compatibility mode to win8 fixd it for me.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this issue was ever resolved but for those that search for hours and feel all hope is lost try this fix. Launch the game, switch from windowed full screen to windows, go to advance, select your graphics card, hit apply, switch back to windowed full screen, hit apply. This method resolved this issue for me.

10 Likes

I had the same problem during beta. I believe I disabled or enabled vertical sync and it corrected the issue. Try changing it and see if that corrects the issue.

2 Likes

Hi team

Sorry to revive a dead post but the below was suggested to me by Blizzard Support for this same issue:

1. To start off, please complete the pending windows as there is some driver compatbility updates in the layer builds.

2. Once done, clean install your graphics drivers:

• Choose custom installation
  • Choose install without geforce experience
  • Untick the 3D driver components (if listed)
  • Click clean install
  • Continue and complete the installation as per normal
  1. Lastly as a work around, you may be able to avoid this by running wow in windows mode. Similarly, you may be able to avoid this by setting the game to run in compatibility mode for windows 7:
  • Navigate to your World of Warcraft_classic_\ folder
  • Right click the WoW executable
  • Click Properties
  • Swap to the compatibility tab
  • Set to run in compatibility mode for windows 7
  • Click OK

Hope this helps someone else out!

2 Likes

Worked like a dream!!! Thanks bro!!!

Thanks player… Totally worked.

I ahd the same issue, lemme see if i can dig up the thread I created in customer support.
EDIT:
World of warcraft can't - #2 by Tratt-proudmoore.
Hopefully that fixes your issues.

removed all video drivers and try to clean install but would not let me Declick the option for Geforce Experience.

You need to go back a step, then, and select Custom Installation rather than Express.

i did that, and still wouldnt allow me to install without

Can you provide a link to the driver you’re downloading? That’s very atypical behavior for GeForce driver installers.

If the forum won’t let you post links, use the </> symbol on the forum post UI after highlighting the link, and you’ll get something like this:

http://www.google.com

I’m having weird graphics issues as well. Mine have been really inconsistent. Sometime the game will run just fine other times it runs like crap and I have to restart multiple times to get it to run correctly.

I’ll try some of the steps listed above - I’m just glad to know i’m not the only one having issues.

https: // www. geforce. com /drivers/results/152654

this is what im trying to download, windows 10 for Geforce GTX 1070

Okay, well it doesn’t seem to be the driver itself, at least not that I can tell.

Please ensure the options circled in red are selected as shown here:
https://imgur.com/a/Ajjidcm

You’ve probably already tried it and it was suggested above. But make sure v-sync is turned on in wow settings, or on your video card settings for wow. See if that helps.

1 Like

Download DDU and let i clean all the drivers out. Then reinstall fresh.

I haven’t had the problem recently, but i remember like 8 years ago I was still using an 8800GTS. I uninstalled the driver through windows, replaced it with my new AMD card and the performance was awful. Had severe frame pacing issues and other strange behavior. Ran DDU and cleared the drivers for amd/nivida and reinstalled the AMD driver and everything was perfect.

I’ve also had problems with nvidia cards and windows 10 with the automatic driver installation.

Here is what I did to get that particular PC working correctly on a fresh windows 10 1903 install

Download Nvidia driver for the card you have installed
Reboot into safe mode and run DDU(display driver uninstaller) windows will look funny and stretched/big, this is normal
Clear old drivers for Nvidia/amd with the program above
Before you reboot install the driver package you just downloaded
Reboot, check driver version, should be what you downloaded.

I have attempted all above and am still experiencing shutter/sharding all over my screen. i have attempted to uninstall and reinstall aswell. nothing seems to be fixing this

Ya idk why this hasn’t got the attention of blizz yet but it happens with sprint or if anyone in your group or raid uses sprint or sprint on pet or dash. It’s not a hardware problem for me either. I’ve submitted multiple bug reports, created multiple tickets. Also have my own post on the forums about this. I haven’t gotten a real response yet from a non automation.

1 Like