Quick black texture flickers - Classic

This has been an intermittent problem for me since I’ve returned for Classic Pre-patch.

Randomly I’ll see this weird black flicker on random textures on the screen, and it lasts less than a second it seems like.

Updating my nvidia drivers to the newest version
All VRR/G-sync disabled
Different monitor cables
Various graphics settings

3060ti w/ newest drivers.

It’s very reminiscient of the nvidia texture flickering that was fixed last year, except extremely specific with who it affects. Noone I’ve talked to has mentioned it.

This is not my video, but it’s the closest thing I can find to what it’s like.

Wondering if anyone else is having the issue or just me. Thanks.

DxDiag at the link here: https://pastebin.com/QYtTfDLE

Hi Jesmera

I’m seeing what appears to be Windows system errors on the DXDiag error reporting. Let’s start there:

Type cmd in the Windows search box. Right click on Command Prompt that appears - select “Run as Administrator”

At the Command Prompt cursor type or paste: (after pasting click enter key to start things)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth (takes a minute - then at C prompt run)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth (this and the next command can take awhile)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

*While running DISM using the /RestoreHealth or /ScanHealth, you could notice the process may seem stuck at 20% or 40%, normal behavior. After a few minutes the scan will finish. When the bar reaches 100% it may seem to stall give it some time.

Next run the System File Check command. It will take 5 minutes or so.

sfc /scannow (space between sfc and /scannow)

If sfc /scannow finds errors the tool will attempt to repair them. It will print that out. If it prints successful repairs - great. If it prints “could not repair all” - run it again.

Note - If you are typing the commands there is a space before each slash symbol - /

If errors are found - I like to run it until I get the “all good”. Even if the tool indicates it has repaired them all.

1 Like

Will do. Ran scannow and it repaired something. I’ll play more later tonight and report back.

Good deal - let me know. This will be one of those “throw things at it” troubleshoots.

I have been having this also since pre patch released was fine before it. Stuff will randomly flick black for a second.

Not letting me reply since I deleted my post, I guess, but this is OP. Still having them, just saw a few on specific textures in Nagrand.

Okay - next is the standard UI reset. Test things there.

As I mentioned this is a test. If it doesn’t help simply remove the OLD from your original folders then delete the new folders the game installed. This will return your original settings

Still happenin’.

Something to note is it seems much more prevalent in some zones. I didn’t notice it at all in Hellfire Peninsula (either that or it was very hidden), but I seem to notice it a ton on Isle of Quel’danas, Terokkar, Zangarmarsh, etc.

Alright - next thing to try here is the clean uninstall of the Nvidia software. Then reinstall latest version. We will use a tool called DDU for the clean uninstall.

Download the Nvidia next - you may still have it in downloads. You will be offline for this installation.

Download the DDU tool here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4097

(scroll down page for the Official Download link)

Basically you extract the uninstaller from the DDU download. (it will extract to a folder called DDU - the tool is inside that folder)

*Important: Unplug the Ethernet or disable the Wifi to avoid Windows automatic driver installation.

I like to boot the computer into safe mode then run the DDU tool. (This isn’t essential you can ignore the tools warning. You will need to confirm you have the windows password before you do so. If you are using a PIN Windows may ask for the actual password after running safe mode.)

On the tool leave defaults then select Graphics type then Nvidia. Run the recommended “Clean then restart”. (Afterwards your graphics will look messed up - normal you are running on basic Windows drivers)

Now for the install. Start the driver install. Select Graphics only (no GeForce Experience). Select Custom install carry on to the next pane. There is a box to check for Clean Install select (check) that box. (Resets the Nvidia control panel and profiles to defaults)

You will see a Windows Smart Screen warning when you start the Driver install as you are offline - ignore that.

I suppose I could’ve been more clear in the OP about drivers but that was actually the last thing I had tried before coming here with it. I usually do DDU + clean install for drivers, and it didn’t seem to fix it.

I’ve tried several driver versions (including my old ones again). 512.95, 516.94, 512.15. All same results, all clean wipes w/ DDU.

I have my old 970 that I’m contemplating plugging in to try as well

Ahh okay - good policy. I don’t see it mentioned - have you thought of trying the nuclear solution - reinstall?

I need to go back through my old bookmarks - seems to me I have some “flickering” threads saved from the distant past. I’m off for the evening here - I’ll try to get around to that later tonight.

One thing comes to mind - let’s test things in a Selective Startup state:

Closing Background Applications - Blizzard Support (battle.net)

No biggie there. I don’t have any startup programs since I’m kinda neurotic.

This old thread has a few possible fixes that folk found:

Screen Flickering Classic WoW only - WoW Classic / WoW Classic General Discussion - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

Tried a lot of ideas there, nothing seemed to do it.

Went nuclear today and put my old 970 in, that I knew worked fine before. Obviously wiped drivers and reinstalled when I swapped my cards.

Even the 970 is doing it.

I’m at my wits end here.

Edit:

I found this on the subreddit, I even saw some other posts on the EU tech support forum talking about this. Starting to believe it’s an issue with some game configurations.

Same thing is happening to me as well. Nividia card 2060 super, also happening on my old computer with a 1060 GTX.

2 systems same issue. Probably a nividia thing. This bug comes back a lot it seems…

P.S. The workaround posted on reddit which works ( takes notes Tech staff…) is to set to Direct X 11 legacy. That fixed it for me. I will keep a eye on this thread.

Just to update, that yes, swapping to DX11 legacy seems to fix it.

It totally tanks my FPS in crowded areas like cities though (140+ to 60-70), so it does have it’s own downsides

My roommate also noticed it on his PC as well, running a 3070.

Yeah im hoping for a real fix asap. I dont like having less fps either.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.