Scholomance Pronunciation?

Why would anyone think it’s ‘School-o-mance’? olo would never make an oo sound, right?

4 Likes

If it is indeed based off Romania or German as it appears to be, you are correct. The “sch” isn’t preceded by another letter and appears to be its own syllable, making it “shh” as in “shoe” or “show”.

“Show” “lo” “mance” (Mance rhyming with dance.) or “Shole” “oh” “mance”.

I personally use the “show” / “shole” pronunciation due to the other German / Bavarian / Romanian type names of the bosses.

I think people are seeing the “sch” and pronouncing it as “s-ka” due to the English pronunciation of “school” which the instance functions as.

7 Likes

The naming on the dungeon seems heavily influenced by German / Romanian, and in German, “school” would be pronounced “shool”.

2 Likes

Exactly how it should be pronounced given the way the instance uses Germanic / Romanian-esque names.

It seems the devs might prefer it as “skoal-oh-mance”, if so likely resulting from a misunderstanding of when the sound for “sch” changes in German grammar.

I dont know what the official pronunciation is though. I say “show” “low” “manse” (Rhymes with dance.), with the “sch” as in “Schafer” as well.

4 Likes

Shoe-Low-Mace

2 Likes

Show-ya-moves

TF, where did skal come from? get your redneck dwarf a$$ outa here. Skolo, its Skol-o-mance…hit them O’s hard!

1 Like

People who say school o mance are the same people who misuse semicolons and use words like whilst. Pay them no mind, they think they’re smart.

1 Like

Schol is from the root of Scholar. Pronounce it as such.

skol-o-mance

2 Likes

I just call it the Gandling Institute.

6 Likes

The links no longer work since the old forums are gone but, a few CMs confirmed years ago that it’s pronounced Sko-lo-mance.

‘Sc’ like Science
‘holo’ like solo
‘man’ like can
‘ce’ like the end of fancy.

‘Suh’ ‘holo’ ‘man’ ‘see’

2 Likes

dude…

Or perhaps - School of Necromancy

What a wild place this is

Forget that, you guys realize you’re all saying Darnassus wrong?

Its Dahr neh sus

2 Likes

Shalom-ants; like you’re greeting a hasidic anthill.

6 Likes

I think all these phonetic variations are rich and fantastic.

3 Likes

Skoh-lo-mance.

The c isn’t silent.