Scholomance Pronunciation?

My group and I are having a dispute on what the correct pronunciation of Scholomance is. Some of us believe it is School-o-mance and others believe it is Skull-o-mance.

Can we get a clear verdict on the pronunciation? Would be great. Thanks!

2 Likes

skal-o-mance tbh

8 Likes

skole oh mance

71 Likes

Skole (same as stole) O mance.

34 Likes

Skoal (the kind you dip)
Oh! (What you heard from room when you were a kid)
Mance (like that traitorous swine alliance gone horde mance raider)

19 Likes

In russian version, if you translate it back to english, itā€™s called Necrosity (combination of worlds necromancy and university)

8 Likes

The word originates from the Romanian Şolomanţă, a school of black magic in Transylvanian folklore. This is pronounced (sholo-mahn-sa)

19 Likes

Iā€™ve always read it as sholo, like the last name Schafer. But have also wondered what the correct pronunciation is

8 Likes

ā€˜scholā€™ as in ā€˜scholarā€™

ā€˜omanceā€™ as in ā€˜bromanceā€™

9 Likes

Skol-o-mance

1 Like

I pronounce it the same way they did in Myth 2.

Sho-lo-mance

15 Likes

I like that I was pronouncing it right.

3 Likes

Sholomance*

1 Like

ā€¦THERE IS AN O BRO

ITā€™S SCHOLO MANCE

Hard Oā€™s

Itā€™s shole, not skole rofl.

4 Likes

Pronunciation was confirmed in ~2005 or 2006 as ā€œSkO-lO-manceā€ by the developers in one of the April Foolā€™s patch notes. (It was something about putting up a sign or stone saying it.)

5 Likes

Skolā€™o-mansā€™

I pronounce it Sholomance. Doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s correct or not as I typically butcher languages anyway.

Read everything like Sean Connery and well, you cant be ridiculed TOO bad.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always said it skull o mance or school o mance, probably not right, but close enough that pronunciation hasnā€™t ever come up in voicechat

also, to the people pronouncing the sch in scholomance as sh, do you also pronounce school as shool?