Scaling removes any sense of an evergreen progression

The game’s producer apologized back in late legion for the sneaky way ion snuck scaling in because you could remove gear and kill things faster.

What they are doing now is no different. There is no progression when scaling is used as an apathetic way to design zones and previous expansions.

1 Like

Not only is there no sense of progression in terms of how strong your character is, if you’re running dungeons you get to have the enjoyment of watching yourself actively get weaker with every level compared to the level 15s who blow up the entire dungeon.

Talents are nice to get every level, but leveling needs more help than just talent trees back.

2 Likes

Scaling can be done right.

In ESO you level to 50, then get paragon levels (think of the bonus levels in diablo 3) and the world scales with you - up to 160. However you can continue to get champion points up to over 1500. While they have their own power creep issues over there, it’s win win: the overworld is scaled to cap, yet you still feel a measurable difference between champion point 100 and 1000.

If WoW insists on scaling they need to do it more like this.

fo 76 is the same way i think after lvl 300 the mobs stop at 150

Yea the scaling still sucks, but once you get to level cap and start gearing mobs don’t keep up with you at all

1 Like

They used to use stat weighting, you still felt yourself getting weaker but you knew why and how to deal with it. As it is now it’s like a volume knob they turn up or down on a whim. No one there has a clue what game theory math is.

1 Like

Can anyone decipher what OP is talking about?

Of course, YOU can’t. Even D&D had a set of simple ratios that created fun and engaging content.

https://www.google.com/search?q=game+theory&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&vet=1&fir=Dw8Bq0U-HSNXuM%252C92RWvsn4YwMKIM%252C_%253BJr2Z3BteX4X6uM%252C5x2rAv0UWCboLM%252C_%253BfblvX0LkXGMNYM%252CyTFUyGnv_fgI7M%252C_%253BTwlJLliuCd5WVM%252CiCX7DiN-1XGEJM%252C_%253Blr_xpWOhyW_M1M%252CsTojs-M8nFjs7M%252C_%253BisuQ6AywWAVPlM%252CVSyMuXOKUz74IM%252C_%253BXz62T-6ISCRO3M%252C1dvwIy0TC_4CFM%252C_%253BxbCLxGI8WNR1nM%252CyTFUyGnv_fgI7M%252C_&usg=AI4_-kRCisy2SRb72ZoVG8q9eKTuIjbYZg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjP9r3WlcD7AhXiLUQIHcstCjQQ_h16BQiAARAB#imgrc=lr_xpWOhyW_M1M

Scaling should have a base number for each level that normal, rare, elite and boss mobs can’t go over. That way players can progressively out power them eventually.

Normal mobs get whatever your baseline stats would be at the level and maybe a percentage on top of that from maybe basic gear. Rares get a higher percentage because they go off a rarer gear. Elites get a percentage off of whatever the gear is that’s below Legendaries (Epics?). And then bosses would get the highest percentage off of Legendary gear. Not exactly like that but you hopefully get my point.

When I get stronger, I do not want my enemies getting stronger also. That makes no sense and doesn’t allow me to see how strong I actually am because it always appears that I never improve. Feels bad. If I always appear to stay around the same power level because my enemies leveled up with me than why am I even trying to get better gear if it doesn’t ever make me feel stronger.

To each their own.

1 Like

I just canceled my subscription lol
I have Zero interest in DF.

Decided to take my 56 Alt to BFA Horde Land…
I have to grind Expolsum… can’t unlock WQs…
Rep sucks. So I figure Ok. I guess I’ll mindlessly run some Island Expeditions…

The GD mobs are level 56. In BFA.

RIP. (Again)
Wow!

4 Likes

Although game theory can be and has been used to analyze parlor games, its applications are much broader.

I am sure there are some drawbacks to scaling for some people. But I prefer the flexibility that scaling offers. Especially if you are leveling an alt. What scaling did was it opened up the player progression through old content. You weren’t on the same treadmill of Vanilla, BC, Wrath, etc. etc. Maybe one alt you level to max one way through a number of given zones, and another alt you hit different zones or different expansion content entirely. Scaling makes those zones more relevant longer. It also benefits new players that maybe want to see the whole story in a zone before moving on. What used to happen is you’d outlevel the zone and end up abandoning it because the quests no longer gave adequate XP.

For folks that feel it doesn’t make sense that your enemies are getting stronger with you? Not really. They just remain relevant longer because they are scaling with you. Fighting a lvl 10 boar at level 10 should in theory feel the same as fighting a lvl 20 boar at level 20.

There is going to be a threshold or curve where your gear from dungeons/raids ultimately is going to push you past the baseline of a particular mob. You won’t see how strong you actually are unless you are in level-appropriate current dungeon/raid content with some decent gear anyway.

So again I’d gladly take scaling over not having it.

I’d gladly take designing zones based on level over an arbitrary ‘volume knob’ that has no posted ruleset.

I doubt even the devs know what the ruleset is for scaling, hence the 40% changes less than a month before release.

Scaling is an interesting tool but it has to be done right and in wows cases outside of M+ scaling it isn’t doing so well.

Hard set stats and levels are much easier to balance and create an intended difficulty both in regards to the fight itself and the expected level of the player and what tools they have at their level.

There’s an answer to every problem including scaling issues but Blizzard hasn’t figured it out yet and a lot of their scaling content suffers for it.

Never understood why they scale players down for TW dungeons instead of scaling the dungeon up. Probably because they would need to fix a few mechanics in every dungeon, just like they need to every time they add an old dungeon to M+ rotation.

That downward scaling is what makes me never want to TW.

Simple inept apathy.

All scaling needs is an on/off switch. That’s it.
Easy as F to implement.
Blizzard just does not want to.

2 Likes

They’ve seen too many of us having fun playing older expansions instead of purchasing their new content. It’s predatory design.

Scaling in WoW is done poorly, communicated poorly, and implemented inconsistently.

The original Legion max-level gear-based scaling was atrocious as the formula seemed to scale mobs linearly with players, which totally destroyed any sense of progression.

The adjusted version we have now seem to adjust mob HP on a curve with less and less HP scaling as player gear increases, which is less obvious and still gives some feeling of progression while throttling the ability of players to trivialize content through gear.

As with the first version though, there is nothing in-game showing the scaling formula so we have no idea of exactly how scaling based on gear is calculated, if it varies by level or zone, nor whether or when they make adjustments.

We have also had a lot of temporary power systems in the past few expansions, which have been inconsistently disabled or removed.

Sometimes these changes are immediate and sometimes come with compensation (e.g. content nerfs), sometimes they only stop working in new content or at certain levels.

Or sometimes as with SL, they just remove every power system from every non SL zone while also rescaling upwards while not providing any compensation - so in older content, we feel like we have regressed and not progressed.

2 Likes