San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed}

In fairness the San’layn were enemies in Wrath (and surprise guest star in Legion) but only enemies to the Alliance in BFA.

But yeah, BFA’s war campaign aka the main story SUUUUUUUUUCKED, and not in the pleasant vampy way.

6 Likes

So did the Saurfang story.

Great cinematics and I’m not at all mad about more Thrall, esp since he’s back to being a shaman, but man that storyline was trash and it was a trash way of killing and ruining our racial leader and one of the coolest orcs ever.

3 Likes

I was including that in the war campaign/main story.

Yep yep.

4 Likes

I have two race megathreads I’d love to have linked here. I will admit that I can come off as rude sometimes in threads, so it’s understandable if I don’t qualify as that is the rule you have set.

1 Like

This is one of the areas where San’layn would make a lot of sense to be right now in current times, too, since the Row is typically where the more darker folks gather.

This is actually extremely important o.o What is the name off this NPC?

Reason why I say what I did above is because this is something I actually hadn’t noticed before on the NPCs, and am not sure if this is a glitch, or what. But look at his eyes–this is an instance of pitch black aside from them being on Lana’thel. I am unsure if this is intentional or what, but… that’s super neat. I’ve only got examples of one of my characters in art with the pitch black eyes (I’ve shared it before) but would adore that option for San’layn. Red is naturally great, but the pitch black eyes just bring something eerie. Something that swallows all light. It could shine or even have a reddish glow, but be pure black all the same behind. So, this is really neat, again I don’t recall ever seeing this before.

Super cool, I love seeing these ^^ You are always so creative with screenshots. Makes me sad that they never ended up getting model updates either, I’d really like to see some twisted features such as the mouth full of knife-like fangs, bat-like ears, maybe more gaunt (but still with that attractive aesthetic elves have), long claws (heck, even longer than normal would be interesting).

We have seen models get updates before prior to becoming playable–so that is on the table. Take, for example, Zandalari, which are a golden one (hah!) there.

Agreed >< While in the same breath trying to push Calia as a character most people can stomach. I, as a player of undead via Death Knights, hate her deeply myself.

Very true, and agreed. I do love the Death Knight story (yes I say that on a constant basis :stuck_out_tongue: ) and was hoping something like that could be applied to our vampyr, or something like our forsaken friends (either way: Breaking free and becoming your own person).

We were SO CLOSE WITH IT in Battle for Azeroth and I will never forget just how much they teased with “If they can complete this mission, they will join the Horde.” In a race where they were pushing allied races. It was surreal, the forums were crazy with “San’layn allied race?!”, and I’d started the fiasco a month before any information on it, too. So had my hopes up so incredibly high, only to be let down considerably.

And it left so many unanswered questions, too. Like where Dreven came from, if there were more San’layn in Nazmir/are there more currently there now, where Dreven’s body is (considering san’layn can be brought back… as seen not only in Wrath, but reinforced in prepatch, along with other members of the scourge).

I’m sitting here entirely stuck with the thought of: “So… we saw Lana’thel and the Blood Princes (EXCEPT FOR VALANAR AND I STILL DUNNO WHY BY THE WAY) come back via the Mawsworn. Isn’t this a pretty big deal? What’s going on right now? What are the repercussions? We can’t just leave it there!”

I could go on and on and on about the thousands of questions I have right now regarding San’layn and the vampyr as a whole. Heck, I should make a huge list as a thought-point here we could discuss, because it’s a long one I haven’t brought up in a while.

Yeah I genuinely hated it and was made to hate Saurfang. That bubbled up when he sat in that jail cell in Stormwind and didn’t stand up to fight against Sylv with us (he just sat there… when he had the chance to leave and help us…) only to be released by the Alliance later. Grrr

I can post your threads in that index, toss me the links. You’ve never insulted me personally (that I’ve seen :stuck_out_tongue: ) and I know some mention issues, but thought provoking ideas and well put together megathreads are fine, I think I saw yours and posted in a couple, but just to refresh, feel free to toss those links here and I’ll set them up for you.

I’d even add links the races I truly disagree with, like Lightforged Undead & Afterlife races, because it wouldn’t be right if I didn’t. I’ll always share my opinion on said threads in the most respectful manner possible, but never put down people all the same. (unless someone comes in here guns blazing and is very rude/insulting to me, theeeeen I’d give it a pass >.>). Thus far no one has asked me for those though.

4 Likes

Thank you, I really appreciate it. As for this thread, I’m fully in support for San’layn and them being added would absolutely bring me to the Horde.

4 Likes

Thanks for the support! Also, added the links for ya!

4 Likes

Thankfully they caught on to how much people didn’t like her and dialed back what her original prominence was going from the datamining > Beta > live

Having a San’layn starting area where you wake up in Azjol’Nerub and have to break your way out would be awesome.

I’m game :3

My main thought, they’re being traditionally vampy and operating from the shadows and NOT drawing attention to themselves.

5 Likes

I’m glad I checked here one more time before heading to bed.

The NPC I used is this guy:

Oddly enough, the screenshots there make his eyes appear green. I don’t know if it was the settings on my laptop or if it was changed or what. I did go back and mess with the settings, and they still remained black for me. I remembered to take those screenshots above with higher texture resolutions, so that wasn’t it.

The other NPC, aside from the Blood Prince, I can turn into is this guy:

Who seems to have the same black eyes when I turn into them, but has the green glow kinda on the screenshots on the links above.

Not sure how to explain it. Maybe they changed with the model updates, maybe I’m missing a setting with my laptop, maybe they got changed somehow over time.

Also those mobs are part of this quest:

I believe there is an Alliance version, though they get the more cinematic battle with the Blood Prince whereas the Horde just beat them up in a quest without much fanfare.

Quick edit: There are also these guys, who I can’t turn into them:

Same deal with the eyes, though I can detect some green around their eye sockets, which I kinda can also with the other two. Really weird…

Hope that was helpful somehow! :wine_glass::bat:

6 Likes

Oh really? I think there’s something wrong with my eyes to be honest, they look black to me. Or my computer screen. that’s been an ongoing issue for a while. Wonder if that will fix once I get a new one. Granted, my eyesight is also deteriorating, I really need to wear contacts more cough. But yeah, to me it does look pitch black with maybe a hint of green.

Which brings me to a good point, though, a pitch black with a ‘hint of’ a color like green or red would be pretty neat in my personal opinion!

Yeah that’s a good point, and I imagine that going on as well, since they keep just showing up at random and getting involved in stuff!

Alrighty time to sound like even more of a big nerd than I usually am.

The Current Questions I have Regarding San’layn

1. Where in the world are the missing Blood Princes? We’ll find Waldo before we find them, for goodness sakes.
  2. Why wasn’t Valanar included in the raising of the scourge forces in prepatch of Shadowlands? Is it a matter of ‘we forgot’ or is there a deeper meaning?
  3. Will there ever be more to Thal’ena? More lore on her in general?
  4. What is the origin of the vampyr curse? Is it from Revendreth like Dread Lords are suspected to be? Could Dread Lords even have created it to cause chaos on Azeroth?
  5. How intense can the mutagen from the vampyr curse get? We’ve seen bat-like ears, fangs(slightly assumed), claws, eye changes, and wings. But could there be different stages/could it afflict people in different ways?
  6. Does the vampyr curse work like the forsaken curse/Death Knights?
  7. Where is Dreven’s body? Is this significant? We know San’layn can be risen again indefinitely, so the absence of his body might be an issue.
  8. Are there more San’layn lurking about in Nazmir? How about Silverpine (where the missing Bloood Princes were spotted)?
  9. Just how violent is vampyr culture compared to Blood Elf culture? Would they find kinship more with the forsaken than fellow Sin’dorei?
  10. Will we be seeing more of Lucard?
  11. What is Lucard’s origin? We know he has the same vampyr curse as the San’layn, but where did he get it?
  12. How exactly does the curse spread? The vampirates seem to have gotten it from corrupted spells (this was not specified?) or objects, whereas it’s implied a bite turned the San’layn.
  13. How would the generation 1 San’layn (turned with Lana’thel) feel about Kael’thas?
  14. Could Kael’thas be brought back as a San’layn, considering the four Horsemen were brought back from death as well?
  15. What’s the dentition of a San’layn? Fangs or a mouth full of teeth?
  16. Do the vampyr gain more benefit drinking from their own species as opposed to others? (Ex: San’layn v. Thalassian Elves, and human vampyr v. living humans)
  17. How would the San’layn and human vampyr get along if this was expanded?
  18. Will there be ‘vampyr hunting’ associations if vampyr become more of a thing?
  19. What are the worgen’s thoughts on the vampyr? Will a particular conflict come up to create a hatred, which would bring up that obvious trope?
  20. Is there a hidden Blood King/Queen out there, hence Dreven’s purpose?
  21. How many of these powerful vampyr can there be? (Blood Queen)
  22. What are the hierarchies of the San’layn? (We thus far know about Neophytes, Marquis/Marquess, Prince/Princess, Queen) Is it a matter of having a certain amount of power?
5 Likes

Ye! get some cool vampy ones (that are doctor approved)

XD

The obvious is Azjol’Nerub, there’s a LOT down there we don’t know about, a lot that’s probably better off staying buried… fear the old blood

They could also be back in Silvermoon and we just can’t realistically see since SIlvermoon hasn’t been updated since TBC so it’s just two streets.

Was the Princess in Violet Hold round 2 captured in the broken isles or originally apprehended in Northrend?

They could also be in Gilneas, or have the Worgen taken that back and cleared it out of undead and plague?

They could also be in the Plaguelands or Ghostlands, ESPECIALLY now that the Scourge is acting up again.

1 or the other or even 1 that leads to the other, probably due to time constraints and didn’t want to flood with too many San’layn?

I hope so glares at unfinished quill

That is a very good question and shows they’re tying this all together, Vampyr origins in Legion, San’layn recruitment attempt in BFA, Venthyr with Kael’thas in SL, those Anima orbs look a LOT like that mystical super San’layn resurrection orb thingy the Blood Princes had.

Then there’s the Dreadlords and tossing plots hooks back out ooooooo so much to think about.

Wouldn’t doubt it, wouldn’t even be surprised if they turn up with a sorta gargoyle lookin super mode, Undead are nothing is not transformative.

The constant thirst? Going off the Prince’s dialog I wouldn’t doubt it.

That’d be very interesting if it’s in Alliance custody rather than being destroyed.

I’d say they got the eff outta Nazmir reeaaaaaal quick, Silverpine I hadn’t considered, I wonder if they’re holed up in Shadowfang Keep?

I’d say since they’re “new” and an offshoot of Blood Elves that’s it just a magnified take on Blood Elves rather than something unique.

I wouldn’t doubt it, more so in that they’d be allowed more freedom to interact with the Forsaken and the Forsaken wouldn’t mind them, I don’t foresee Lorthemar allowing them free reign. This is of course not counting actual family members and what not.

Yes, more questlines with the Murloc professor as we investigate this please.

Was it corrupted alcohol? Magic is kinda woven into everything in the wow universe (meta, all our abilties are called spells, even the martial ones), so at the very least it’s “gotta use Vampyr magic to make more Vampyr”.

The bite, the need to feast/drink is a hallmark of the San’layn and goes beyond the mere physical act of drinking, just like Forsaken and Cannibalize, it’s something they’re compelled to do, it resets things in them, it rewards them, empowers them. Lots of magic involved in something disguised as a simple chomp.

Probably wouldn’t be happy about the whole fel traitor thing but they’re not quite ones to throw shade there. They were his most loyal followers in life after all. I see more siding with him than against him.

Wouldn’t doubt it, just how in the specifics? New body formed (Liches?), or his soul put into another corpse/San’layn (Teron Gorefiend?).

Either or, they all wear those nifty high collars so we can’t see much variation. As for making one to play I’d go all fangs, I like visual.

Just the mortals I’d say it’d be a matter of taste, for actual benefits it would depend on more “infused” creatures so to speak, such as Demon Hunters and souls vs demon souls.

We need to bring back the blood trolls so we can set them up like the days of old, get vampire Stromkar and everything XD

Speaking of I’m glad they didn’t forgot about the original designation that Vrykul were all vampires in the lead up to Wrath, made them a lot more interesting than just “tall vikings”.

You know there will.

Seeing as how they got brought back into the Alliance after the Lich King was dealt with I don’t see anything from that time but i wouldn’t doubt it if starting lore “post-reveal” has them form enmity specifically because of that trope.

That’s also an interesting thought, wouldn’t doubt it, with the way it’s transferred in the blood I wouldn’t doubt it if the curse itself picks a San’layn to “promote” to keep it succint, would explain the wings Queen and Princess have.

Might be limited/bottlenecked, might need a certain catalyst to empower, so many drank from, so much power, super San’layn resurrection orb thingy, etc

It could be, or it could have been Lana’thel just redoing the ranks of her companions that she had in life.

5 Likes

Non serious answer, Arthas picked them based on a dubious book about elves he read while still alive.

Do you think he gave her room the harem design or was that Lana’s preference?

5 Likes

Interestingly, Elisande has a literal harem setup. I’d say it’s totally a cultural thing shared between Nightborne & High/Blood Elves! Lana got to decorate herself!

I wonder where they sourced the silk from…

4 Likes

They do have a literal kingdom of spooders beneath them.

3 Likes

Yeah that allure seems to be present with elves & vampires. People freak out and say ‘oh well yadayadayada notarealmonster’ while completely ignoring things like siren/other mythical beings that bait/lure victims by certain assets. I think it’s a really cool thing, actually, that a monster can be beautiful/handsome but at the same time very capable of ripping someone limb from limb. I also love the reverse, the ‘horrifying to look at’ monster that in reality is sweet/curious. I’m not one who likes expectations/stereotypes myself, and tropes work in some places (done well), in others, they do not.

Wonder how the San’layn would get along with the Nightborne? Seems like San’layn, Sin’dorei, and Nightborne would have quite the party. (Well, blood elves PRIOR to becoming a loooot more boring in my personal opinion, meh.)

3 Likes

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/hearthstone_gamepedia/images/8/82/Sir_Finley_Mrrgglton(127389).png
Best murloc.

6 Likes

Just saying, I would have a total of 0 complaints if Mrrgleton was involved in the recruitment scenario for the vampyr. I know I only saw him briefly in Stormheim, but he was lots of fun. I’d love for him to make friends with friendly vampyr, maybe to explore the curse more!

6 Likes

If you wanna see more of him, get the Tombs of Terror adventure in Hearthstone. You play as him, and he gets tons of dialog. It’s great.

5 Likes

Makes sense! I don’t prefer the game myself if I’m going to be honest, just not my thing >< Might look up videos of his dialogue someday though!

4 Likes

One way they could go is having an alternate form as a racial powerup or a toggle or something that has more monstrous customization options compared to your regular look. You could do the best of both have it be a toggle like shadowform for priests, but have an added right click option on the icon (like some pet abilities) toggle on and off, but when right clicked it toggles on during combat and off after.
Just throwing out ideas. It’s not something we’ve seen though currently that I can think of.

I thought it was interesting you don’t really see much blood magic used in Revendreth until you got to the raid, then there’s a number of bosses that do. So Blood magic is used there.

Would be a cool way to do a demon hunter class variant.

5 Likes