San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed}

Maybe? But… my last post was 16 hours ago… so someone would have to go out of their way to…

I’m just all sorts of confused, I’m going to admit.

2 Likes

Sorry, more for another thread, however it always seems like Blizzard can’t keep itself from being an abusive parent to ANY race they come up with in game.

Just hoping the developers can rewrite their own playbook as if San’layn were ever added, that if the laziness that is the Forsaken’s writing being almost all Sylvanas and the Night Elves constantly getting the story shaft is nothing that any race should ever deal with, and yet here we are.

3 Likes

Ah okay, that’s fair. Sorry, you confused me x.x thank you for explaining though!

In terms of night elves… yeah no, I am 100% not happy with what happened. And they just keep making it worse, too. I’m not a huge fan of the Alliance, nor Tyrande, but night elves themselves are neat to me (I have a druid ^^). They just keep getting utterly ruined on the regular, and it’s super frustrating, so I hear you there.

In a way, ironically, sort of like the forsaken, it feels like they’re shoving them all into an ‘evil’ box or trying to get them all into the ‘evil’ box, when just… like I know several forsaken players who want intelligent/thoughtful undead, not complete killers. It was the nuance in the first place that led me to like their lore, after all, and story-wise, they seem to be shattering it.

And with what you said… yeah, it’s a major concern here, one that’s brought up on the regular. We’re really worried that San’layn will get the villain bat (hah, see what I did there) if they mess with the lore. They showed a sliver of hope in BfA for being added and trying to rejoin their people…buuuut we saw how that all went. I had wanted a DK-like story for them when they seek redemption and really want to fight for their faction and people… but I’m worried that’ll be too much to ask. (Whereas night elves have the opposite problem. They are supposed to be utterly fierce and unwavering, what is Blizzard doing with them? They need a real win.)

In terms of night elves though? They need a break and waaay better lore after Teld, I just… augh. Well, roleplay-wise, my guild offered their city to refugees which have been doing well, but that’s a matter of player stories and not true canon ><

3 Likes

The Forsaken have it really bad too, it just happens that Night Elves have been suffering longer in lore and story department. Two of my four favorite races aren’t being treated very well. I’ve lost many of my favorite characters (or had them ruined for me) and some of my favorite lore has been retconned into something poopy.

5 Likes

I’m trying to figure out a thread to make that relays that feeling, how the retcons and forced narrative is … just never going to sit right with me.

Please wish me luck, it might make me cry to write it, however, I do feel like it’s a very needed thread in time…

2 Likes

With a new month having arrived, I’ve gone ahead and submitted in-game feedback for races I want playable and referring to their respective megathreads. As always, San’layn and this megathread is one of them. :vampire:

Since we’ve been having a lot of traffic and new faces to this megathread, I wanted to share a link to a post I made earlier within this megathread of a guide and tips on how to submit in-game feedback:

Of course, you can repeat it for each race you want playable, as well as refer to their respective megathreads (if they have one).

Not a guarantee it’ll lead to something, but you never know if it’ll get read and our megathreads will get looked at. It’s worth a try, in my opinion! :wine_glass::bat:

5 Likes

This is going to sound so cliche and I’m sorry about that but… speak with your heart. I know people say that getting emotional about a game is silly, but in reality, it isn’t. We get emotional about movies, books, and the like. But in this video game, we play as our characters, and some of us have been here for many years. So to see the stories we love being utterly destroyed, well, that’s something to get emotional about. I would mention these points in your thread. You might get some really nasty people snapping at you, but I wouldn’t listen to them.

It’s true, most of us who loved the story have been utterly disappointed these past two expansions. I know that after Legion, things should have gone in an entirely different direction than that nonsense. The factions needed to team up against the void. We could have had such a rich void expansion. Void elves could have gotten more lore. Elune could have empowered the night elves, and all of us could have fought side by side to save our planet. It would have made the most sense.

Instead? An overdone, poorly done narrative that destroyed night elves & forsaken. It gutted the night elf fierceness that we had come to known. It destroyed the nuance that the forsaken used to have in their race. Made complete villains out of the Horde, made a punching bag out of the Alliance.

It’s why I say I hate the factions. Going forward, from Legion, it should have been more of a Scryers/Aldor thing, imo. With some parties passionate, but… we still have the void to deal with, and there is a GIANT SWORD in the center of Azeroth. NOw the scourge is rampaging, different events could have led up to that too. It just… grrr…

The only thing about BfA to me were the zones, and not the faction war plot. Along with the races there, which would have been way more interesting as a main focus instead of the stupid war campaign. Then, Shadowlands… ugh don’t get me started, there’s no redeeming factors about it. It’s the expansion that made me walk away.

So I entirely understand getting emotional about this subject. I wish you the best of luck in conveying it, and will comment support too, feel free to share the link here if you decide to post it. Or tag me. (can people do that?) Or just say in here “hey I posted it search ‘xyz’” and I’ll look.

Thanks a lot for sharing this! Hopefully, someday, all of our AR ideas will get some traction.

5 Likes

This point gets dismissed way too easily.

Fictional IPs thrive on heightened community engagement. Perhaps the most popular fantasy tv show of all time, Game of Thrones, had a continuous narrative and complex world that was featured for eight years. That’s a long time to follow any IP, let alone a tv show. To pretend that somewhere along the way the average watcher won’t start caring the quality of the writing is just folly.

WoW’s no different. The MMORPG has been online for 17 years, but the franchise as a whole has been active even longer than that. There have been spinoffs (Hearthstone), novels, and other tie-in projects. Fans have gotten so passionate that they make fanart by the thousands and put hundreds of hours into perfecting their cosplay for Blizzcon.

What other franchise can profess to have such a passionate fanbase? What other franchise has fans dedicating thousands of hours of their own time, money, and energy into demonstrating how much they love the IP? And Blizzard is aware of all of this. They welcome it. Because, again, it is always to the benefit of the IP holder when fans take it upon themselves to double down on their investment. But they don’t do it to support the company; they do it because it makes them happy.

The idea that these same fans that have kept the lights on this long should just “stop caring” when the narrative quality takes a nosedive and the health of the world they have used as a creative outlet is in danger is itself a callous fantasy. I don’t see how or why anyone shouldn’t get emotional about things like that. It’s one of the most natural responses in the world.

7 Likes

For some reason I can’t change characters to bump my thread. :confused:

1 Like

Awww, well I’ll bump this one and then your thread because I want San’layn customizations for Blood Elves or San’layn as an Allied Race and I love your threads ideas so both work for me. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

6 Likes

Since this is coming up more and more lately in other Discord servers.

Imgur

Ask somebody who doesn’t play this game what this is.
They won’t say “void elf” - they’ll say a vampire. Just tint the purple slightly more red and it’s even closer, but even then, this one skin alone is enough, and that’s all subraces need; minor customization elements.

Putting “HORDE” in your thread title doesn’t take away from the fact that there’s a ton of plausibility that San’layn could get attached as a subrace to Void Elves, or just ally with them in general, especially with the tentacle toggle, and a large amount of their hair styles with the toggle suiting the aesthetic more than Blood Elves.

People disagreeing with them going Horde aren’t trolling, and it isn’t theft because the race isn’t on either faction yet.
People are just upset there’s a chance they won’t be able to play them on their chosen faction, even though Dark Ranger options are 100% valid for Blood Elves (despite, you know, paladins existing).

The kick the gnome garbage rebbutal isn’t anything because Worgen, Zandalari, and Dark Iron are now all playable as actual races, and Sandfury and Grim Totem as subraces. I guess we should just remove all of those because different NPCs were hostile at some point?

Goth elves for goth elves.
It’s such a minimal amount of effort for a race that’s just an ear shape change and classical goth hair styles. Which one of the two races already has.

Dark Rangers for Horde.
San’layn for Alliance.

horde fans of san’layn would never play alliance san’layn because the devs made sure alliance was lawful good . i know its hard to reconcile lawful good with void elves, dhs and dks, but its true. anduin extended an olive branch to void elves. dude was as lawful good as you can get.

3 Likes

People who point out alternatives, especially in spaces where it’s a majority clique who refuse to see another route, are not trolls.

It works.
It makes aesthetic sense.
It’s less work for the devs.
It’s a minor small handful of customization options that would actually expand the void kit - because red is a void colour as well - and give the gothic elf race more gothic options.

It can happen, and discussing the whys of other routes isn’t trolling, especially when evidence is given for a plausibility, rather than an outright denial because of feelings.

Or are we not allowed to disagree here, and only here, because somebody who can’t handle a disagreement founded in lore and ease of game design decided to put HORDE in all capitals in the title for a race that isn’t grounded to the Horde? (…and again, betrayed them while trying to join?)

Dark Rangers for Horde.
San’layn for Alliance.

We don’t need another Elf taking up a race slot.

listen i would be 100% on your side were it not for the fact alliance is the goody two shoes faction, straight up, and horde is the edgy scary faction, or as the op says, chaotic good. alliance definitely could use some edge or an insanely popular new race but the devs have mostly abandoned world building for alliance. void elves was alot for them, considering we had cannon fodder racials for almost the entire history of the game and are no longer a viable faction. giving alliance san’layn customizations would be a huge insult to the large amount of horde players who’ve been begging for it as long as alliance has begged for high elves.

1 Like

Being “goth” doesn’t mean the idea works. In fact it supports adding it to Blood Elves to give Variety. Slicked back hair doesn’t equate to vampires and Void is actually at odds with Undeath.

The Alliance literally tried to wipe out the San’layn in the War Campagna. There’s no reason to think they would change their mind.

And San’layn gave their lives to defend Silvermoon. There’s no reason to think they would go to war with them.

Plus Undead and Blood Elves are already on the Horde, so Undead Blood Elves would obviously go with them.

There is NO logical reason for them to ever go Alliance and even less to be a Subrace of Void Elves.

12 Likes

I can’t agree with your belief that the San’layn would ever choose to go Alliance.

I just don’t see any good reasoning behind it given their lore and the events of BfA.

If the threads name having a Horde focus is a major detriment to you, you could always make another thread asking for them to be Alliance rather than try to fight against a bunch of folk who think differently than you. Then everyone here doesn’t have to get into pointless arguments.

10 Likes

I will continue to point out what I personally feel should happen with the race, and a few people thinking it’s trolling, or it can’t happen, isn’t going to stop me. Nor, again, is putting “HORDE” in all capitals in the title in retaliation to people disagreeing.

Nobody here is the authority on the subrace.

People who think the goth elves who already have a portion of the kit on PTR should be playable for them, while the Horde gets a fair equivalent (Dark Rangers), are valid. What isn’t valid is throwing a temper-tantrum because somebody has a differing opinion on what should happen to a race that does non canonically already exist on either faction, because there’s actually a chance it could go somewhere else with valid reasoning.

The PTR options have my San’layn appearing closer to what he’s supposed to look like than the Blood Elf model ever did with 0 changes.
Sorry I can see that and get excited, and still rally for the other side to have something similar to keep the fantasy should they so choose.
The moment void elves get red eyes, it’s pretty much perfect. I look like a full on pre-Twilight vampire. Some people are excited for this, and may not express it here because they’re not allowed to have a dissenting opinion in hype for something.

Well then quit it dude.

Seems all you do is this.

Folk here don’t agree with you and that seems like it really sets you off. Which is why I suggest making your own thread on it. There is no harm in that, several AR threads have had an alliance and horde version in the past.

I think you’d find yourself a lot less put off if you did.

Suppose to be fair I actually want San’layn as an AR in full for the Horde, so your Dark Ranger/San’layn setup doesn’t work for me even then. lol Which is fine. I don’t need to agree. You just seem extremely hostile every time you’re here.

13 Likes

i dont have a problem with you expressing your opinion. it also bumps the thread. maybe i’m misunderstanding, are you saying both factions should get san’layn like customizations for their thalassians?

3 Likes

Why would San’layn go with the side that murdered them?

15 Likes