San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed} (Part 1)

Honestly, that’s my ulterior motive for bopping around customization threads. I have level 50 or above, heritage armor’d or ready for it, fairly beloved toons of every race.

Not only can I, personally, benefit (in potential, anyway) from any customization added, but I also want to keep them up there to potentially increase Blizzard’s awareness. Which could possibly lead to more customizations and also the splinter-under-the-cuticle level annoyance of dwarf eyebrow color tied to skin tone instead of hair color eventually being fixed. Also, you know, a lot of other stuff.

But mostly being able to remake my dwarf with a paler skin tone and black hair without bright red eyebrows. Seriously.

2 Likes

In fairness it’s a bit more involved than that.

Needing voice work.

Making sure the coding and interactions identify your character as that race does so in interactions/quest text in-game.

Racials.

Creating lore.

Starting Area and/or recruitment questlines.

Most of that stuff I didn’t give weight to but lore cannot be considered in the mix anymore. Blizz has proven they don’t give a crap about lore. No matter how players want to head cannon how VE’s became Dark Rangers it just did not happen.

Blizz trying to appease some players just ended up shooting themselves and other players in the foot. VE’s are not the Dark Rangers that were raised into undeath. If they give VE’s the Dark Ranger look they need to remove the VE theme and racials. It makes absolutely no sense at all. But it’s too late now.

All they had to do was give Alliance HE’s and maybe half this crap could’ve been avoided but they couldn’t. And now we have a mess. Very frustrating and I’m not a lore nut but even I know enough to hate what they’ve done.

Just ignore the garbage I just spat. I’m beyond frustrated with what Blizz is doing to a game I use to love. My apologies for coming off as a douche but I can get heated sometimes.

All good points you put forth. :clap: :bowing_man:

4 Likes

good luck on that bwahahahaha.

I found that on a forum. So I share it here. :grinning:

15 Likes

Gorgeous art :heart_eyes:

did you make it or do you got a source on who the artist is :smiley:

3 Likes

That little scar. Hope blizzard takes notes.

2 Likes

offers hugs

1 Like

You’re going to make me melt!

Thanks. Didn’t mean to just go off on a rant but lore nowadays just doesn’t . . .

Takes a deep breath

Takes another deeper breath

Pulls out a gun and spins the barrel

Never mind. :face_with_head_bandage:

Thanks though. :hugs:

Warriors can’t use guns anymore.

1 Like

Lol, thanks for making me sad again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Man I miss being ble to have a ranged and melee weapon on classes. Those were the fun times. :smile:

EDIT: Maybe I should’ve said “Goblin comes over, pulls out gun and spins the barrel.”

I miss dual wielding axes as a dwarf BM hunter, for what that’s worth.

I wanted to fit in, so I made a Darkfallen monk. I’m not entirely sure if he’s a void elf or a blood elf, or even if he’ll be sticking around, but he’s trying to calm the rage of death and EVERYTHING ELSE with serenity and tea. It mostly doesn’t work. Also, entirely too much red in the mogs. We’ll see if he makes it through the great ROSTER TRIM OF 2022 (more slots if you keep giving me more character options Bliz please).

2 Likes

cries in Survival while glaring at Rexxar

Make sure to go Venthyr for extra rage and death and red and tea.

3 Likes

I seriously hope Monk get to keep Fallen Order somehow, it’s so fun.

Maybe it’ll be like Feral and it’ll be the node where they pick between it or Lighting Kitty.

I’ve mourned dual wielding survival melee hunter. I am fairly upset that they FINALLY gave up melee hunter back but FORCED us to use 2 handers even though most of us preferred to dual wield back then. They undid forcing fury to use 2 2 handers and frost having to dual wield but never the less we are stuck with two handers also blood and unholy dk lost the ability to dual wield as well. Seems blizzard doesn’t like dual wielding unless you’re a rogue or dh.

4 Likes

I really wish I could use a mix of 1handers and Daggers as Rogue (and a mix of 1hander and 2hander for Fury), it’d be cool visual.

2 Likes

The artist is Amionna.

Here is her deviantart with the picture.

9 Likes

So I thought some for awhile and decided to go ahead and make my San’layn character I had in mind if they were ever to be their own race using the Darkfallen skin.

By no means is this me conceding at all. I still think that San’layn have a chance, albeit a small one, of being their own race. In which case I’d happily reroll my character. Otherwise, I’d just change things up via barbershop should more stuff get added.

However, I don’t know what the chances are for that to happen or if we’d just see them as a customization race with more options added. There is always that rumored Dragonflight preorder race or races, though who knows if it is true and what they’d be? Not to mention the reclassification of Darkfallen to make San’layn a small part of it now.

At the same time, it still feels empty. No voice filters, feeling like it’s just a Blood Elf cosplaying, not really being referred to as Darkfallen, and not seeing anything involving San’layn actually joining the Horde. It’s a very conflicting thing.

At the very least, if San’layn were destined as a customization race, I’d like to see some join the Horde and be part of the Desolate Council. That would go a long way in making me feel better.

Something like the Mag’har Orc clans work just fine because we all see them joining the Horde, and they have their own flavor in culture with looks. And having the same voices can work well. It’s something I could see with customization races for Darkspear Trolls, so long as it is shown in-game of any Troll tribes officially joining the Horde.

Something like Wildhammer Dwarves felt flat since they just came out in a PowerPoint slide. Moreso since there wasn’t something shown in-game celebrating such a thing. Darkfallen have that needed in-game event, but the implementation seems like a quick job to do and it feels off in a lot of places.

Customization races can work very well, but they still need love and care. I give the example of Kelfin as a customization race for Goblins but not being able to breathe underwater because it is an important one. I also wouldn’t want Kelfin customization to appear on a PowerPoint slide, only to not see them officially inducted to the Horde in-game, not have any presence in-game for the most part, and of course the whole drowning thing that could come from them as a customization race.

If they were treated decently, I’d be more open to them. I understand actual full races take a lot of work and resources, even if you reuse assets in their creation. However, customization races really need some more care in general. Especially since they also open the door for some factions of parent races to becoming playable and working great.

Anyway, I’m still working on a transmog set for my San’layn character at the time of this post, as well as eventually getting items for some slots I can actually transmog like the shoes slot, but I’ll link him if anyone is interested:

The name comes from a character I briefly used in Everquest 1, a Dark Elf Shadow Knight (who was a second Shadow Knight after my Iksar Shadow Knight who was on my home server). The name itself is something I thought of, though it isn’t an original name as I’ve seen it used in some variations in other forms of media.

I’m treating his name as his Scourge name, which I do with a few other characters like some Death Knights. While not giving up or forgetting his identity in his previous life, he isn’t exactly who he was before and it’s a bit hard to do that in a vampiric state. There is also some sort of irony in taking something that was used by the Scourge to destroy and instead using it to do good and help protect the world (of Warcraft!).

I have a lot more fleshing out for his backstory, as well as working more on finding transmogs for him to play around with, so I’ll be looking at that when he levels up. I’ll definitely be going Venthyr for his covenant, of course.

As I said, I’m not giving up on San’layn. It’s just hard for me to know what direction Darkfallen customization will go and whether we’ll actually see San’layn join the Horde in the future. I still hope for them being their own race, but rerolling isn’t an issue if that ever becomes a reality.

Otherwise, at this point, if we see San’layn officially join the Horde and customization options expand, I might be content with that at least. We’ll see what happens I guess, but in the meantime, at least I can kinda give some life (or is that unlife?) to my San’layn character I’ve wanted to make ever since I came across this megathread.

That said, I’ll still continue to support playable San’layn for the Horde! :wine_glass::bat:

9 Likes

Yea. Maybe I’m just a pessimist but blizzard like rarely perfectly does a fan request unfortunately. It sucks. Especially when they have cameo’d san’layn in EVERY expansion since legion at the least.

I’m in the same boat here, I think they still might have a chance but it’s heavily unlikely and they’ll probably just end up shoving a bunch of fan request options into Blood Elf and/or others instead of making a new AR.

5 Likes