San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed} (Part 1)

They didnt announce it. They only hinted it from an interview.

Nightborne are like the closest thing to horde night elves that could have gotten that option. Sadly blizzard did not add a way to play a horde night elf undead.

But somehow void elves got it which lorewise feels a bit silly.

I dont mind that night elves got it. I just think its a bit unfair how void elves got it and horde didnt get access to undead night elf stuff somehow.

The new look looks cool on night elves, but for me they would look better with horde transmog.

2 Likes

It was interesting that the San’layn used fel and void magic… not actually a lot of blood magic.

I’m really glad I blasted through the quests on a blood elf pally. Felt like a very natural fit, especially the heritage armor one.

1 Like

It could be easily explained in lore the same way 4th gen death knights are explained. Bolvar rised some elves. During legion/4th war.

1 Like

I think its more of the assets they gave us have been in the game for like expansions and already made. And nightborne don’t even have other eye colors. So it would have to be modified.

And void elves and blood elves basically have the same model.

Blizz in a nutshell right now. Very promising for Dragonflight.

1 Like

It still kills me when Maui breaks out the People’s Eyebrow right at the start of this.

I sent in 4 reports. 2 bug 2 suggestion.

I included the inability to split the eye color and skin tone as a bug, as well the inability to use these customisation options on death knights.

I suggested they give us more undead skin options potentially taking from the list of DK skin options and that they give dark ranger options to nightborn as well.

IF you would like to submit similar bug reports and suggestions all you have to do is hit escape/“pause” and click support. One of the first options will say “submit bug or suggestion” I cannot post images or I would but it’s not hard to find.

1 Like

Thanks to this new customisation option I will actually be making some changes… technically retcons to this character. Though fortunately I have not worked on her story a WHOLE lot recently… (or at all >_>). But my new story is she was killed in Darkshore and raised by Sylvanas as a dark ranger.

In life she was an animal lover, a friend to nature. To call her a beast “master” would be a misnomer. She was a beast befriender. She lives among the wilds. She was a hunter, a predator but she respected the life cycle. Her pets she’s collected she all rescued from near death or for her spirit breasts she bonded with animals from beyond the world of the living. She has a secret place deep in an unknown wood will all her animals live. She visits there often and sometimes takes them out to journey the world together.

However, everything changed when she was killed in Darkshore and raised into undeath. Most of her animal companions no longer seemed to know her. They rejected her. They… attacked her. She ran away in pain at the rejection. At her entire life, her made family not even seeing her for who she is. She had few people friends but did have some. She reached out to one in particular to take care of her pets. They were mostly self sufficient but they were also used to the company of people.

Over the years she wandered alone. Avoiding people and beasts. She took to slaying aberrations, monstrosities, mindless undead. Beasts and people who had lost their way. But sticking to the shadows. It was best the people who knew her in life thought she was dead. She did die in darkshore. She only wished she had stayed dead. But this was her existence now. She’d carve some purpose out.

After a fateful encounter in the shadowlands she realized that despite her undeath she could reconnect with her companions. All hope was not lost. She returned to Azeroth and into the woods to reunite with her companions. It took time and effort for them to readjust. Perhaps most never knew she was the same elf they thought her merely a different kind elf. Regardless she should’ve put in more of an effort.

She decided to stop hiding in the shadows, and try to reconnect with people as well. Though this would be no easy task. She would continue hunting those who would do harm but she’d no longer outcast herself from civilization. She would attempt to reconnect for better or for worse.

Probably a bit cheesy but just what came to my head.

Edit: just found out to actually GET the transmog you have to do the questline on a hunter… -_-

3 Likes

Ha-ha… becoming a literal BLOOD knight!

1 Like

The venthyr plate helmet has what is essentially the death knight eye effect but in red.
I’ve been hoping that it’d become an actual eyecolor/effect option for death knights at some point as it’s what I’d like to use on my san’layn death knight.

Really needs to have red, blue, green, and maybe even a fiery color for death knights.

1 Like

One thing that bugged me are that the Dark Rangers are Forsaken, unless I missed something, so why weren’t they given a Dark Ranger elf look? I think it would’ve been better to be an undead elf that didn’t need to breath underwater and have the Forsaken racials personally.

Also, I saw Maizou’s post with the post-Desolate Council text. Dark Ranger Velonara says "When we Darkfallen raised into undeath . . . " I hope Blizz does NOT use that to make Alliance San’layn because that would make less then zero sense to me. San’layn were BE’s, NOT VE’s that use void magic or NE’s or even Nightborne, that followed Kael and were raised by Arthas.

I’d quit. There is no way Alliance should have San’layn to begin with but if they give any one faction access to both Werewolves and Vampires while the other one has either none or only one it is just wrong. Either give both factions access to both or keep the vampyr races to Horde and the werewolf races to Alliance.

Werewolves vs vampires goes back way further then WoW. If they are going to screw with that and not in a fair way I am done. It will be like Horde getting BE’s before Ogres. Would make no sense to me.

I apologize but Blizz rage can hit at any time because they make rules and then break them just to appease a group of players while at the same time not giving thought to those that follow the lore, which I do not, or those that want unique races and not cut and paste or what have you.

To each their own.

1 Like

Dark Ranger customization is finally here!! :grinning:

It’s a nice thing so we can finally begin to roleplay San’layn.

Adding an orange eyes color and some Bat-Style ear options would be perfect. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

and claws/tapering pointy finger tips. and a return of the nail check animation. ambiance, ya know.

see it?

3 Likes

So I’ve had some time to digest over the whole Dark Ranger customization option thing and wanted to type some general thoughts.

As was mentioned before, there is a slight worry of mine that this one skin with eyes would be all we’d ever see of playable Darkfallen. Moreso with San’layn classified as a small part of the now redefined Darkfallen group.

I do feel my general thoughts of customization races have been reinforced as well, since Dark Ranger customization doesn’t seem to affect voices at all, though I don’t know if that will ever change or not. It makes them feel like LARPing Blood/Void/Night Elves as opposed to feeling like they are their own thing.

This along with several other reasons are why I’d hope for San’layn to be their own race. They have a lot of great lore and storyline possibilities, and I wouldn’t want to just see customization options added for them without seeing anything in-game showing San’layn officially becoming part of the Horde. Moreso when nothing is said and any San’layn NPC’s we see in-game are just generic villains that everyone hates except for your character because reasons.

On the bright side, with Dark Rangers out of the equation, it feels like the chances for San’layn being their own race have gone up. Moreso with the whole vampiric theme with racials and such, which I doubt would really get shown much as a customization race. I mean, the whole vampire theme is one of the big reasons I have such an interest in San’layn to begin with.

As I mentioned a few posts above, the Desolate Council has reformed, and Calia mentions at that time that she intends to allow any undead to join the Forsaken, regardless of who they are and where they came from. Sounds like it could open the door for San’layn in the future, which would be great if it is possible for them to be their own race.

And of course, we still have that mystery regarding Dragonflight preorders and the rumor of getting at least one new playable race as early access for preordering that isn’t the Dracthyr. I don’t know what the chances San’layn have now with Dark Rangers as a customization race, moreso if it ends up being just one race that could be neural in some fashion, but it could be a neat possibility.

To be clear, I’m happy for Dark Ranger fans as long as they’re satisfied with the customization options. I still worry about customization races and the possibility of San’layn being their own thing. I still think they have a lot to bring to the table as their own race, and beign able to have a fully vampiric theme through that would do wonders for being unique and being refreshing to the game, even if people would balk at there being more elves.

I’ll continue to think on it more and give some more thoughts again. That said, I’m hoping that the customization option isn’t all we’d see of any playable San’layn in any fashion, as they can be much more and amazing if given the chance to be their own race. :wine_glass::bat:

7 Likes

Well, that dark ranger refers to herself as Darkfallen so it could be the end of the line or just the start of San’layn customizations.

The voice thing actually bothers me. Would’ve been cool to get a different voice to go with the look or just reverb or something the current voice so you don’t have to spend extra cash on another voice actor. Would be a huge let down if San’layn became a customization and had the same elf voice.

I think the biggest loss to races as AR versus being a customization is the story/lore. What a waste to have your story just put up as a quick one-shot and done thing.

They should give all AR’s a toy that lets the player relive the story or at least watch some kind of cinematic that explains it. That way it isn’t a one and done.

6 Likes

Despite the reclassification of Darkfallen and how they refer to themselves as Dark Fallen, the achievement rewards ““Dark Ranger” Elf Customization” on the achievement window. Not “Darkfallen Customization.”

I might be arguing semantics here, but it is something interesting to note. Maybe there is a chance we could see San’layn become their own thing. At least, that is what I hope. :wine_glass::bat:

5 Likes

Would report that, as suspected, Birtus looks fantastic in the dark ranger armor…

And that I’m decidedly using the LAVA BEATSTICK on an orc. Not sure which one.

I don’t think it’s the end of the line for Darkfallen customization expansion at all, to be honest.

If anything, if what I heard is true regarding a recent change in wording, it’s a great thing. Because it means we have even more of a foothold to argue for expansion of said customization. Obviously people are excited about it. They gave the bare minimum but at least they gave something, now we can ask for a proper expansion.

Before, we had nothing. No sign of any undead elf or vampyr at all being playable. Now, when they ask for customization (which they will), we will put our case forward and be stronger than ever.

Again, I see this as a great thing. It’s the start, not the end. A start we did not have before.

11 Likes

They probably named it like that because it would be easily recognized by the average player who doesn’t read forums and such. Pretty much everyone knows Dark Rangers have red eyes, while the Darkfallen as a category is still sort of obscure. This would also explain why they felt the need for the extra dialogue option in the BE quest.

2 Likes

I though they were all destroyed by now.