San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed} (Part 1)

The markings on WC2 Rangers where originally based off Celtic Wode Facepaint.

Then they stop being a thing in WC3 but the concept evolved into the Night Elf face marks and the Markings on the Dark Rangers. (Them being just being a Black Version of the WC2 Ranger with less lines)

Then in WoW we see Sanskrit Style markings for Runic Tattoos on the TBC boxart and somewhat Hanna styled Markings for Rommath to fit the Arabic stylings of the current Blood Elves.

So if you need direct cultural inspirations you can take it from those.

Basically my thought. (A direct match of WC3 Dark Rangers would be good though)

Though I tend to think of it more as makeup with it comes to the more Phoenix Inspired/Eyeshadow ideas.

Sylvanas’s are technically scars, but they look like runny eyeshadow, and I would imagine that Dark Rangers would either be copying her with Makeup or have a more ‘Emo’ Carryover if Facepaint is canonical.

Ariël had some good concept pictures in the Big Blood Elf thread, but it’s quite a bit back.

6 Likes

I did this quite a few times to humorous results. The other Void/Blood Elves I did it with were usually amused and had fun. The ones who were confused also had fun.

I’d guess that San’layn should know Thalassian as well, along with their own Darkfallen language. It makes sense, given they’re former Blood Elves. It would be great for RPers too, I am sure. :wine_glass::bat:

9 Likes

Personally I think they should know Thalassian, Gutterspeak (undead - maybe scourge based), and orcish.

5 Likes

I imagine they’ll know Thalassian and Orcish.

6 Likes

I just mentioned about Dark Rangers being an Allied Race or customizations for Blood Elves in the Dark Ranger thread so I thought I’d come over here and add that to here as well because San’layn should also be a Horde Allied Race or at least customization options for Blood Elves. :heart: :heart: :heart:

9 Likes

San’layn having their own language developed over like a decade would be super neat, not going to lie…

7 Likes

It would indeed!

Probably this though. No playable race gets more than two languages by default, and San’layn not being able to speak or understand Thalassian would feel odd.

7 Likes

Oh yeah that’s a good point on both accounts, yeah I didn’t even think of that!

5 Likes

Conversational bat noises.

7 Likes

San’layn could easily communicate with each other in bat form. RL bats have ways to talk to each other:

I can imagine the secret communication that goes on with San’layn in bat form. Likely, others would just assume there are just regular bats nearby.

“Always keep an eye out for any bats nearby, for it could be the San’layn prowling about. If you hear any chitter chatter, then watch your back, your neck, and keep your mouth shut.”

Something I could imagine being in an Alliance briefing. :wine_glass::bat:

7 Likes

Meanwhile, my San’layn:

“You see that Alliance member over there?”

“yeah?”

“I’m gonna spook them”

10 Likes

Chance for some target practice.

Like birds do when they see a nice car.

7 Likes

Changed the title of the thread again because I firmly believe San’layn should be Horde, especially with cross faction play being a thing soon :heart: Void elves have their own theme completely separate from the Horde & we don’t have to share everything. Until we can play void elves on the Horde as well, I don’t think San’layn being on the alliance as well would be fair. Unless we ALSO got exclusive felblood elves & neutral San’layn, but I know they won’t do that.

15 Likes

Oh I love it

8 Likes

Nice touch.

Kinda sad that it has te spelled out like that for, curtain individuals.

6 Likes

I said I wanted them before, but to add a little update to that.

I want them to all have unique animations. Nothing shared.

That is all.

4 Likes

I would love for more animations to be added in general. It’s one of my favorite things about FFXIV. You can earn emotes… it’s so neat. I wish that was a thing in WoW.

10 Likes

Hope San’layn can be added to Horde as an AR in the next expansion or prepatch, along with an Alliance race of choice and possibly more ARs.

I am sorry for everyone I made mad.

7 Likes

With patch 9.2 coming out tomorrow, I’ll be keeping an eye out for anything of potential San’layn interest. Not that I expect there to be much, but you never know.

Still excited since it means aside from 9.2.5, we’ll be getting closer to a new expansion announcement. Hopefully, we’ll be back in the living world (of Warcraft!) during it. I don’t really know what to expect, though I would think it’d be better than Shadowlands…hopefully.

Where ever we do though, I march towards it with playable Horde San’layn support! :wine_glass::bat:

8 Likes

San’layn for the Horde…

Think I’d pick either Sethrak or Furbolg for the Alliance. >.> but I am extremely biased there.

8 Likes