San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed} (Part 1)

Kinky. I like it.

Watch me get put in timeout for using that word.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Ah [expletive] mother [expletive]… they finally making me a reason to play Kyrian -_-

It was speculation around when the Uther cinematic first dropped, but it’s actually the Light clinging onto bits of his soul, rather than Frostmourne cleaving those it kill into two. I wanna say this was confirmed somewhere but I don’t recall off the top of my head.

Another point against the Frostmourne cleave theory is, well, we’d probably be seeing a LOT more souls of peeps if this was true, going all Black Pudding on us.

6 Likes

Come to think of it, if we do have some San’layn in the Maw like Lana’thel, maybe that would show Kael’thas what happened to his followers and he might be inclined to help them get out of the Maw and maybe try to revert them back to who they were before.

It would tie into his redemption, possibly opening the direction of him becoming a San’layn willingly to go back to the living world to help the other San’layn and also redeem himself to Silvermoon. It would give a good reason for San’layn to band together in a scenario such as the Northrend invasion we’ve discussed before, and if Kael’thas wanted to help reconnect himself and his followers back to Silvermoon, they would be Horde friendly.

Again, more possibilities and such that would be interesting to see. I’ll have to think more on this later, but it seems like it has some potential. :wine_glass::bat:

4 Likes

To be honest, I’ve kind of lost interest in Kael with the voice change. A lot of how much I like a character seems to ride on how much I like their voice.

That being said, that’s still a cool idea.

4 Likes

Well, even if Kael’thas wouldn’t return to the living world, he could still inspire some San’layn, both from the Maw and those in the living world. There are still San’layn royalty still alive and several we don’t know about that could still lead the charge for reconnecting with Silvermoon.

But regardless, there are multiple ways to go about introducing Horde-friendly San’layn, which I feel is very useful and important. :wine_glass::bat:

4 Likes

I will forever push for a Blood Drive Themed micro Holiday.

5 Likes

I’m going to be completely honest, I flat out hate the the whole soul separation idea.

It really does utterly destroy any semblance of having an undead beyond a mindless, bloodsucking brick. It justifies what everyone has been saying “oh, the San’layn are all completely evil”, and the undead as well. If these parts of these characters/people’s characters in general that they’re playing are just fragments of an ‘evil part of their soul’, then anytime anyone had ANY personality beyond that edgy nonsense that everyone tries to shove onto us on a regular basis is destroyed.

I hate that lore idea. I also hate what’s now coming out, and I hope it only applies to specific people. Because I play my undead with a personality beyond some mindless monster. I HATE the stupid “All of this race/concept is evil” trope. That’s WHY I enjoyed WoW, because they did it with DK/Forsaken, where they do have their personalities still because they do have free will. I’m so bloody tired of being told that because I don’t have some emotionless, boring, nonsense character that’s edgy to the max, I’m doing it wrong.

For example, I play this character as a San’layn. She’s a rockstar like the DMF bands, and I really enjoyed what I developed for her. Yes, she’s prone to more violence, being a San’layn Death Knight.

But if ANY of this applies in general to all undead/San’layn, pretty much everyone’s character stories, including nearly all of mine, are ripped to shreds AND people have an excuse to shove into my face that “I’m playing my characters wrong” because of lore.

I play this bloody game for the RP. I don’t like playing mindless villains. Heck, I don’t like playing villains AT ALL. Most of mine end up antiheroes in the end. So this would just be… horrible.

I’d rather not have playable San’layn at all if that’s the angle, if I’m going to be honest, and if that’s how they’re justified lorewise… it wouldn’t bring me back to the game. It’s the polar opposite of what I was hoping for.

That would be fine, I just would want the whole San’layn soul to be there! KAel’thas returning to the living would be interesting, I don’t know if we have lore aside from the Horsemen of them returning.

However, there is one lore issue behind that–would he forget everything that happened in Shadowlands? Or now that everything is open, he’d remember? (I don’t think we know as of yet, or at least we haven’t seen someone coming back)

5 Likes

But… blood drives are good :pleading_face:

So far I believe Uther is the only one that’s had this scenario. Going back to the video a soul of someone killed by a Maw weapon was ABSOLUTELY unheard of before then and scared the ever loving [expletive] out of the Kyrian, which further dismisses the theory that Frostmourne was what was cleaving souls. Nyet, it was stealing them whole.

4 Likes

Ok I like your idea, sorry I’m not lashing out at anyone here, just… the idea that all of the San’layn need to be ‘made good’ and ‘find redemption’ :confused: That they were flat out evil before, but now they can magically be ‘made good again’.

I hope you are right. It just bugs me so much because of what I said above. I really, really don’t want the many years I put into my undead characters to be just… scattered. It would break my heart, because I put so much work into that and my guild, and explaining not every single undead is going to be the same, and many have some aspects if not all of their old personality.

4 Likes

hugs

I was doing intentional misreading for an attempt at humor.

hugs

5 Likes

Oh I know hugs , I just wanted to clarify because I think I came off as waaaay more aggressive than I meant to, I was more shaking my fist at the lore proposed than what people were saying here! But yes that was amusing :stuck_out_tongue:

And a little bat pet could be a reward for such a holiday. Could always use even more!

5 Likes

I do agree with the whole soul separation thing. It seems like it won’t be a thing from what Zazda mentioned. I mean, Forsaken appear in the afterlife as their Forsaken selves, so I don’t see why San’layn would be different.

Moreso I feel like San’layn should be similar to Forsaken in that they were under control of the Scourge and, when they broke free, should have been able to revert back to their previous personalities albeit still under the Vampyr curse. Some would still want to be who they were and others would accept their new persona as being someone different. This would be much MUCH better than a two souls, one San’layn and one Blood Elf, system to me.

I imagine at this point, him remembering about everything from the Shadowlands would be better for his character. Assuming he came back to the living world, likely as a San’layn, he’d have to remember the humility he could’ve gained since he’d be finding his people as Darkfallen and leading them into a better future while redeeming himself with Silvermoon.

At the very least, some semblance of his time in the Shadowlands to get him to do the above would be good, in my opinion.

Anyway, as I said, it isn’t the only thing they could do with San’layn. Kael’thas could come back as a San’layn and lead them or not. There are things to work with introducing the path to playable Horde San’layn.

And I do agree that while I want playable Horde San’layn, I want them to be treated right in the lore and development department. It’s very important to any race becoming playable to make sure love and care go into their development, motivations, and so on. It just adds to connecting to your character when done right. :wine_glass::bat:

5 Likes

Yeah that is another very good point, I was going to bring it up but I forgot like a big derp.

Yeah agreed. Plus we saw with Dreven that he was trying to kinda get a home for himself and his people, even if things…well, didn’t go well. Unfortunately :sob: Still though, that line was very neat because he was breaking away from just being a scourge minion.

Yeah I agree entirely. Honestly, in my personal opinion, it might be as simple as: “Because the barrier is broken, he can come back with all of his memories too”. Then you get the whole 'well wait, does he have a physical body then, can he go across planes?" That’s one thing that baffles me. Maldraxxas is all about flesh and bodies, but is it afterlife flesh or can the flesh hold up on Azeroth itself? Would we need to get a new body for Kael, or would he just… manifest one?

Also yeah, fair point that he isn’t the end all be all. Would it be a cool story for them though? Yeah, I do think it would.

Regarding what was said about Valanar being missing, that’s a big mystery, yeah. I still, honestly, do think there is more to it. With it being brought up that he could be someplace else in the Maw… that’s very interesting speculation.

Question becomes: Why?

I like playing with the idea that he was filled with a lot of regret for what he did, and so unlike the other blood princes that were pre-patch-rezzed, they might be working on beating it out of him, but he persists.

Yes, I’m a sap. Yes, I also know that is unlikely. But still! Fun to think about.

5 Likes

Definitely need that playable San’layn hookup.

Also makes me sad sometimes that they add so much to this game and let the older stuff rot. They have a lot of good material in the game and eventually I feel like there will be quite a bit of bloat.

9 Likes

Wowhead posted an article on Uther’s storyline in the upcoming patch, which gives the souls list posted earlier a bit more context:

I’ll go ahead and paste the relevant part in a spoiler tag.

Uther Questline details of interest

" The questline involving Uther starts at the seventh chapter of the Chains of Domination questline, A New Path . Once this chapter is started, Thenios, the Kyrian Paragon of Wisdom, approaches the Primus in Korthia. Aware of the creation of a new mourneblade, Thenios mentions that Uther, a former Forsworn who is now under his tutelage, was killed after being struck by another mourneblade - Frostmourne, his soul shattered in the process.

To learn how mourneblades work, we’re sent to Torghast by Thenios, who asks us to visit a special vault that Bolvar had previously seen in his visions, a vault where the Jailer keeps souls he deems valuable. Armed with a new Attuned Shard, we visit Torghast and enter a short new wing, the Ossuary of the Banished. After going through the short 3-floor wing, we face the Guardian of Souls, who leaves behind a portal to the realm of souls he guards. This realm holds Uther’s soul as the First Paladin, along many others, some with interesting names:

• The Betrayed Father

• The Blood-Queen

• The Grand Magister

• The Guardian of Naxxramas

• The Archmagus Mentor

• The Golden King

• The Holy Lifebringer

• Many Forgotten Victims

As interesting as many of these souls are, we are only able to leave the realm with one soul in our Soulkeeper, so we pick up Uther’s shattered soul and return with it to Thenios at the Temple of Wisdom in Bastion."

I didn’t see much else of interest in the questline, unless someone else sees anything.

Not sure if we’ll see anything else of interest with these souls, nor do I know what it means to see Lana’thel among them. Even if her soul is in the Maw and stored away, I don’t see why San’layn in the living world couldn’t have free will. I also don’t see them serving The Jailer or following Sylvanas, regardless if it was through mind slavery or not.

I will continue to keep an eye out for anything else of interest. I don’t know what to expect. Again, I still hold out hope to see Horde friendly San’layn in the future. :wine_glass::bat:

4 Likes

This so much.

Unrelated to the thread, but that’s also why I absolutely hate when people suggest Alleria should fall to the whispers and turn evil. If the character who taught all the void elves to resist the whispers ends up falling to them, it’s only a matter of time until the rest do too. And I have no interest in playing a character with a guaranteed future as an evil stooge.

7 Likes

nods

And I say this as someone who hates Alleria, we’ve already dealt with “Bad Future Alleria” in Horrific Visions, the whole point of that was to avoid that exact specific scenario.

Her being a villain to the Horde because she’s always been a bloodthirsty jackass is a completely different story, and now that equally bloodthirsty jackass hubby is in charge of the Alliance…

(My guess is she’ll become heavily prominent during a Void themed expansion or something).

5 Likes

This is something they should explore more if we ever get back to faction based plots.

For someone who’s plot used to be hunting down and murdering orcs, she didn’t really do much in BfA.

5 Likes

True! I do feel like if we did see those, though, there’s a tad bit of foreshadowing there. Especially if the souls are considered important. Interesting that among the many powerful scourge, she was one of them there. I think there’s only a couple of them in there that could indicate ‘scourge’. Could he a hint for 9.2 or 9.3, I reckon. Hopefully it’s a curiosity that will be returned to.

Yeah I can’t stand this either. People are So bloody obsessed with the light being ‘perfect’ and ‘pure’, and it drives me nuts. I deal with enough preachy nonsense irl and don’t care for people like that. So of course they need to bring it into the game, where they then try to convince everyone else that any other magic type is ‘evil’. The whole concept of the entirety of ‘something’ being evil is so ridiculous. I hope that doesn’t happen to Alleria. I prefer her being a hero, maybe not to the Horde, but yeah.

This would be interesting. I didn’t participate in 8.3 really, but a void expansion I would likely play. I did like the concepts in 8.3, but I was just so done with BfA in general. Maybe a travel to a void-consumed world? Granted, I know people are tired of cosmic stuff. I don’t like ‘realm’ stuff much, but travelling cosmically would be alright. I think there’s a happy medium, maybe a void azeroth issue and then one patch of a void planet, like Legion.

I sincerely hope that if we do, they finally at least add the neutral option for guilds at that time. Even to the point where we can outright have a choice to sit out of anything to do with that kind of story, because I am so tired of faction stuff, I will admit :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes