San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed} (Part 1)

I sort of wanted a duel wielding 1h ranged spec. Sort of like tracer from Overwatch or the diablo demonhunters. I would of liked a gunmage like Lord Godfrey from Shadowfang keep as well. The duel wielding spell shots would be a fun spec for a mage/hunter/rogue.
https://i.redd.it/gtfbgkb0mbw31.png

4 Likes

4 Likes

Regarding the Sylvanas book, I’d be very surprised if any San’layn mentions were in it. At best, we might see a mention of her dealings with Dreven, though it wouldn’t be satisfactory. It’d likely be Sylvanas planning to send him and his posse to their doom while the San’layn get written as monsters still. It’d ultimately be a sour reminder of what could have been a great allied race with potentially cool writing.

Speaking of books, I do recall the Arthas: Rise of the Lich King novel. I read it a long time ago, though I don’t recall any San’layn mentions in it. Looking on Wowpedia’s page for it, it doesn’t seem like any San’layn at all appeared or were mentioned in it unless I missed something:

It’s a bit odd since Arthas is the one who raised the San’layn, so you’d think there’d be something about them in it. I may glance at it again at some point to see, though it’d be during Arthas’ reign, so they would be under his control. Might be worth another look just to see what is there, if anything.

Best to not leave any stones unturned! :wine_glass::bat:

4 Likes

I don’t remember San’layn being in Rise of the Lich King either which is disappointing considering that he raised them and how interesting Blood Queen Lana’thel was.

4 Likes

None in the recent chronicle either. That was so incredibly disappointing to me. I expected more scourge lore but it was all “Arthas and his scourge”. Was a terrible book compared to the other chronicles in my personal opinion. It makes me sad that they went so in depth with the other ones only to drop the ball where I was very excited.

Seems to be a trend where blizzard just completely ignores old lore people enjoy in favor of the shiny new thing instead of expanding said lore. And people wonder why I utterly hate this expansion and pretty much everything about it now.

4 Likes

Yeah I hate this nasty little habit Blizzard has too. Has the old lore being fully explored? Are there still mysteries and new places this could go? Do people really like this lore? Too bad, let’s makeup new crap that changes how the old lore both works and is perceived, creating massive retcons and inconsistencies.

4 Likes

I tried to find a shiny Venthyr, but the closest I could come was this shiny Maw knight.

5 Likes

I have the feeling that sparkling Venthyr would cause a lot more ire here than they already do. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

On the very tiny off chance that Blizzard does look into this thread sometimes, though, I will mention the fact that I’m interested in a book for Lana’thel and Tha’lena, or Lucard. I know the chances of us seeing that are INCREDIBLY low, because both were just fodder for the raid/dungeon, but you never know. Surely they’ve made works on ‘minor’ characters before, right? I guess we can expect to see more lore on scourge players if we do in fact return to Northrend to take care of business–something I hope happens.

cough Modern Argent Tourney but with flying on dragons. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

“…they’re in the stables.”

“Oh, ok. Let’s get the tourny started!”

5 Likes

They do.

There is a very sad story about a random Sunwalker.

4 Likes

Sunwalker Dezco, a Pandaria era short story. It was kind of depressing.

3 Likes

I guess we can toss that into the “never know” and “hopefully we’ll get some good content in regard to that” territory. Which is a growing list.

As mentioned, San’layn have come up in the last two expansions. With dreadlords now being touched upon more, I’m holding hope that we will see more vampyr curse lore in 9.2 or 9.3.

Also holding hope for a return to Northrend patch. I’m super game for that and it might allow me to come back and play a tad. All depends on the content added, really.

6 Likes

Took a couple of quick San’layn screenshots in Revendreth since I recently got one of my Horde Rogues to L60.

A quick angle with a gargoyle in the background.

And in front of a statue that seems like a fountain for…I assume anima.

It’ll be easier to take more screenshots of locales there when I unlock flying. I’ll also try to find other locales to take screenshots in and share them as inspiration strikes. :wine_glass::bat:

6 Likes

I zoomed into your screenshots and yeah, honestly it does look like that fellow has pitch black eyes, and I’m all for it. I think you said at one point there is a green tint or something, which is cool, but just the flat out look of the shot right there, with the pitch black, very eerie eyes, is something I really hope is an option made for playable San’layn, if we ever get them, either for Allied Race or customization. And we could even have different colored tints, if that makes sense. Like a red tint over them, green tint over them, blue tint over them. Could represent the type of magic the vampyr primarily uses.

7 Likes

So I went to the mob and got as good of a closeup as I could while fiddling with the graphics options. There is a very subtle green effect around where the eye socket is.

I took this closeup as best as I could:

It makes me wonder when WotLK came out, the models used there before we got brand new models for every race, if he had a green eye effect like before. Maybe we’ll find out when WotLK Classic becomes a thing.

If anyone wants to compare to the images on Wowhead, I linked to this mob and a few others on there in this post:

Either way, all-black eyes do look really neat. I think maybe blood red eyes also, to go with the San’layn blood magic, could work very well for them as well. :wine_glass::bat:

5 Likes

Yeah agreed entirely, and the interesting thing about eyes goes even further, to be honest. Take a look at a screenshot (snagged from google) I got on Lana’thel’s looks in game:

Here, her eyes do look a pitch black, but if you look REALLY REALLY Close, there is that green tinge, and it’s less obvious than the zoom-in you did for that San’layn.

This gets even more complex looking here:

^ Where she appears to have more of a heavy green look to her eyes.

That, of course, is from Hearthstone.

Also I found some art of her in my travels!

The artist depicted her with red eyes! Lovely ^^ Signature is in the image itself!

Edit:
Ooo, and more fan art!

Now we just need more Blood Prince art.

7 Likes

Would it make sense that some San’layn could have a green tint of some kind from the Blood Elves having green eyes thanks to fel magic?

I assume around the time they were slain, they might have dabbled in fel magic some before. Maybe they would have some of that showing as a result.

And if that is true, since the Scourge were created by Dreadlords and with Blood Elves having fel magic in them that were risen into undead, could the Dreadlords have any power over them with the knowledge of how their undead magic works and with some fel being within it still? It’s a bit different from regular Blood Elves, who just had fel magic within them but weren’t undead. Not to mention that it could be wearing off since a lot of Blood Elves now have different eye colors.

I’m likely overlooking something, but was just something that popped into my head just now thinking about it. I figured typing it out might help some. :wine_glass::bat:

3 Likes

I know it’s pretty unlikely…as it’s been feeling for everything players have been wanting…but having San’layn as a demon hunter option, but with blood themed visuals…call them something like Soulseekers, dps meta could be dreadlord(vampire lord) form…tank form could be a stoneborn gargoyle.

I am curious to see the dreadlord story stuff.

3 Likes

It’s definitely feeling more useful as the gear gets better.

(Vaelian)

3 Likes