Samsung Galaxy 13 5g - Can't Run Companion App

First, after googling, I saw there was an answer to this 3 months ago in June. However, the circumstances of that have changed, the answer being here:

Back when the discussion was occurring, this was indeed true. Despite having a 64 bit chipset, for some reason Samsung installed 32 bit Android 11 onto the A13 5gs.

However, as per this article:

Around the same time, they added an update to Android 12, which is only available as 64 bit.

I reached out to Samsung support and they confirmed they did not create a 32 bit android 12 out of thin air, and it is indeed running a 64 Bit OS now, but until app creators update their apps for compatibility, they will not function. And I did verify, my a13 5g is indeed running android 12 now.

Now, the Companion App now shows up on the Play Store when you search on the A13 and installs just fine - something that didn’t happen before. (Doubly reinforced by the OP of the linked thread that couldn’t find it in the Play Store) This means that your phone meets the requirements that the app creator (blizzard in this case) set up.

However, despite downloading and installing just fine, it will show the Blizzard Logo, then load the Companion App background, and that’s it. It does nothing after that. This is the screen that it hangs on:

I literally left it on for 2 hours and it never left that screen.

Is there any chance we could get an update on if this might be fixed, or if we’re just screwed, despite them upgrading the phones to 64 Bit?

1 Like

Oh, hey, I wrote that. Thanks for your diligence in tracking down the details. Blizzard’s notes on the app page in Google Play say that you won’t be able to do anything if your WoW sub is inactive. I’m guessing that isn’t the problem here. Additionally, the app needs to download more assets after the installation. Maybe there is an issue with the Assets trigger. Do you have any VPN/security software on the phone?

Additionally, the app collects error logs, so their team may already have details for your issue—but I can’t confirm that.

I do not. I had it on another phone temporarily, and saw what was supposed to happen - the downloading assets trigger never happens. It just hangs at that screen forever. But I had to return that phone so I am hoping they can fix it for this phone lol.

And I have an active sub lol.

Aha, so that is probably the hangup. Okay, well at least you posted this in the proper place so the team will see it. I’ll make some other inquiries about what could be causing this.

Out of curiosity, did you try opening it on different signals (2.4 vs. 5Ghz, or mobile data vs. Wi-Fi?)

The phone doesn’t seem capable of changing the frequency of its mobile data other than 5g, 4g, LTE, and 3g. I tried all of those though.

I also just tried changing my wifi from 5 to 2.5 and still have the issue. And the issue is there on my data, though I don’t know if the data is 2.5 or 5. Waited around 30-45 seconds each time, plenty of time for the asset popup to show up.

All right. I’ll keep thinking on it, but it might be something only developers can address.

I looked at the reviews for the app tonight and scoured them and apparently this isn’t restricted just to the a13 5g. There’s a lot of reviews about this from people with varying phone models.

One has a Galaxy s22 Ultra. Which is pretty much one of the newest phones on the market lol.

So I’m wondering if the last update broke something.

Hmm, issues on the S22 Ultra might be carrier-specific, because I’m certain it’s working on that model (T-Mobile version).

I used this on a brand new phone from US Cellular, and I get the same results. Bordered blank screen after the Blizzard logo. I have used this in the past on an old LG, and that phone now does the exact same. I really don’t think it’s the phones. It has to be in the software somewhere.

1 Like

Oh hey!! Ive got this phone. Its July 2023. I guess its still not working for this phone ?? Ive tried most suggestions . Haven’t tried VPN ?? :confused:
Any new suggestions?