Ryzen 3000 spec/price leaked (supposedly)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/b3givt/biostar_agesa_comboam4_pi_0072_update_for_b350/

This helps debunk the b350s not getting Zen 2 support if biostars b350s and a320s getting bios updates for them

1 Like

it isnt that shocking.

i mean even intel’s older boards could “unofficially” run even 8 and 9th gen cpu’s. (some tweaks had to be made but they ran fine)

AMD is lots better on overall hardware support than team blue and want their chips to work on older boards.

It’s a classic “can vs should” situation. Few people in the industry seemed to doubt that the B350 or A320 chipsets wouldn’t be able to run the newer CPUs - it’s just in question as to whether their power regulation circuitry will be up to the task.

Zen 2 is almost certain to be more sensitive to voltage than its predecessors. It’s a new node, and a smaller node - goes with the territory. Lower-spec boards won’t necessarily be able to maintain enough stability due to this. And this is before you consider that many of the non-X370 boards won’t have been made to provide enough power for the rumoured higher-end (ie 100W+) chips.

Couple those together and it’s just plan not a good idea. People will doubtless try, many will succeed, but as a generality it shouldn’t be encouraged.

1 Like

FX-8xxx chips on 970 boards comes to mind

271 votes and 95 comments so far on Reddit

Welp this confirms it

Even the lowest spec a320s can run a 16 core ryzen 3000 series if you wanted to

Every am4 owners can get a 3rd gen ryzen :smiley:

You can put a 9900k on an H310

Doesn’t mean its smart.

Ultimately, unless you have a good board, it’s probably not smart to put a high-core count chip on a low quality motherboard.

this is true.

i have seen ppl asking why their system is not as fast as others then list a non OC motherboard with their unlocked cpu :expressionless:

they might run on a lowest of low board, but they may throttle if they cant get enough power/resources due to low quality board.

Except h310s are still new

You can’t use a h110 or a b250 for a 9900k :rofl:

Meanwhile a 2 year old am4 board can still support the next ryzen chip series coming soon and more likely the 4000 series next year

I wasn’t saying it’s a good idea to pair a 16 core to a low end chipset

I’m saying they are delivering their promise about am4 support till 2020, just like I been saying since launch, when others were like “lul am4+ inc” or whatever

Besides its on 7nm, better node, and not recycling 14nm 4-5 times :joy:

1 Like

We’ve been over this.

I don’t value upgrade path, because ultimately most users want the newer features or capabilities of newer boards anyway, and most of the time one, two, or even three generations isn’t worth the upgrade.

It’s just a sales gimmick to encourage you to upgrade more than you need to. It clearly works on you, though.

1 Like